Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. To aid the prevention of the spread of the Covid - 19 Virus. With the greatest of respect for our Members, families and general public. We have taken the conscious decision to postpone all runs, meets and events until further notice

1981 Mini City 1000

This section is for Mini projects and restorations and also the place to show off your pride and joy.

Moderators: irishminis, spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

ctwomey
NON Member
Whats your location?: Ballybrittas, Co. Laois
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: I owned a 1977 Mini 850 when I was in my late teens. I owned a 1986 Mini Chelsea that I imported from the UK. Also owned a MG Metro that was bored out to 1293. Restoring a 1981 Dublin Mini City.

Re: 1981 Mini City 1000

Post by ctwomey » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:00 pm

colinf1 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:18 pm
Great work, planning on attempting mine this weekend, both need the bottom repair panels.

Same process as the bootskin? There's a few spot welds to drill out too?
Yes there are a few spot welds. One behind the handle, a few around the edges plus the seam weld on both sides at the top.
Don’t use the spot weld cutter, just use the flap disk and grind down the surface of the outer skin until you can see heavy heat discolouration around the spot weld. It should peel off easily. I can post a picture tomorrow of the spot weld locations.

The old outer skin panels will come in handy for some patch panels to repair the inner frames.

colinf1
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dundalk
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1974 Aussie Leyland Mini 998 (Clubman front)
Current project is a 1983 Mini 1000

Re: 1981 Mini City 1000

Post by colinf1 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:19 am

ctwomey wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:00 pm
The old outer skin panels will come in handy for some patch panels to repair the inner frames.
Thinking the same myself, lots of good flat material in the door skins once you trim off the rot from the bottom edge. I've a repair to do to the rear subframe and should be able to make card template that will fit nicely on the door skin.