Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

MTM2007 - Back to Basics?

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

MTM2007 - Back to Basics?

Post by Billy »

At last night's Southern region monthly meeting, the concensus was that it would be great to go back to the original format of MTM i.e. M = Mizen or Malin. Some other suggestions were that only classic minis should take part and the most definite spec was that MTM should take place in a single day, just as it was back in '99.

I have found the original routemaps and instructions on a floppy so it surely couldn't be too hard to do a recce to update the notes. The committee which has run MTM on behalf of the club has stated that it has wound down so a new bunch of organisers would have to be formed. MTM has been the IMOC's flagship event for the past 7 years and it would be a pity if it died away. In saying that, I fully appreciate that the outgoing committee have done their fair share of work over the years keeping the show on the road and credit where credit is due!

What I would really like to gauge is how much interest there would be in a single day, back-to-basics, 444-mile trip from Mizen to Malin (or Malin to Mizen) with classic minis only. All comments welcome.

Billy

1lightningd
NON Member

Post by 1lightningd »

Billy,i am trilled that you have decided to continue the M.T.M. and i hope you have as much sucess as we have had in the past but i feel that it would be against club rules to prevent MINIs from doing the event as a vote was taken at a A.G.M. years ago for the club to acept the MINI. I would also be very supprised if the national commitie would sanction this as it would be unconstitional.But best of luck anyway. Alvin
kerryminigringo
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Between an A series and a G13B
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 61 van,68 MKII,
75 Clubman estate,
80 1275GT
91 RSP Cooper

Post by kerryminigringo »

i think it would be great to go back to doing mizen to malin and i think that if it did go back to a one day event,a lot of the minis would come out of hibernation to do it cos there was a lot of regulars missing this year that would undoubtedly grace it with their presence next year with a return to the original format,
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

Neil Cottingham in the UK has already signed up if it's a 1-day event for classic Minis only. Neil and Ruth did all the early events but didn't travel for the past 2 runs. I'm sure the other old reliables could be coaxed out of retirement if the original MTM format is used.

As regards the exclusion of MINIs, my own opinion is that it's too easy do it in a modern car and that the real challenge is taking a 50-year-old design car with all its faults and failings and feeling that sense of acheivement when you reach Malin Head.

At this point I'm not bothered about club policy. Perhaps the vast majority of MINI owners will join the new mini club anyway and the club policy will be irrelevant and therefore changed. As I asked in the beginning, are ye interested in re-running the one-day Mizen To Malin using Classic Minis only?

The thing to remember is that a 1-day event will be cheaper to run and take part in, less organisation involved, and still just as much fun.

Are ye up for it?
zakgt
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Maynooth
What Minis have you?: 1962 - Morris Traveller MK1 - 1978 - 1275GT, 1998 - Sportspack

Post by zakgt »

I was thinking the same thought Billy about the one day event, I'll be there.

However, I think variety is good and the event should be open to new minis - especially ones with tow bars. I personally have completed a few MTMs in a 1998 Cooper, but got more enjoyment in the year I did it my 1979 GT, the older the car the bigger the risk and the bigger the trill.
BlackSe7en
IMOC Paid Member

Post by BlackSe7en »

Would the first MTM have been restricted to Classic Minis only , if the Bini had been around? MTM in a day yes, CLassic's only no. All club members should be able to participate in all club events.
kerryminigringo
IMOC Paid Member
75 Clubman estate,
80 1275GT
91 RSP Cooper

sure if all the mini drivers let the binis off first thats the last you would see of them till the end so i would not worry about the binis ,bring on the one day event
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

You could set up a poll here on the forum to judge peoples and club members oppinions.

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

Here's part of my reasoning. In the vintage world which is where my main interest lies, there's been a problem for years with lads who have seriously old motors leaving them at home because it's easier to hop into a more modern classic. The really old stuff gets neglected and never sees the light of day which everyone thinks is a shame.

The same way with Minis. Most of the Bini owners also have classic minis but would admit that since they bought their new Bini, their classic Minis aren't taken out as often, maybe because the battery is gone dead through lack of use or they would have to open the bonnet to check the oil or water etc.

Binis are fine in their own right but why can't we have a classic Mini-only event just in the way that BMW hold MINI-only events every so often for their customers around the country.

Anyone who's interested in a 1-day, classic-only event but who doesn't want to post a reply here can call me at 087-4195640. No texts, guys, I just don't answer them.

Billy
oldtrainhouse@eircom.net
city998
NON Member

Post by city998 »

1-Day Classic MTM sounds good to me!
kerryminigringo
IMOC Paid Member
75 Clubman estate,
80 1275GT
91 RSP Cooper

one day classic only mtm sounds great to me
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

MTM500?

Post by Billy »

Good stuff lads.

Adrian aka Cracked ZAK has suggested that we call it the MTM500 and add an extra 56 miles to the 444-mile trip. Sounds good to me. I'm sure that we could find a detour which would make up the necessary miles.

Keep the suggestions coming folks. The more interest this generates, the greater chance that it will go ahead in the format I'd love to see it do.

Billy
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
1984 Mini Sprite
Weber45

Shouldn't that be the MTM800 seeing as we are all modern europeans these days ??? :)

Billy
IMOC Paid Member

MTM500

Post by Billy »

TMG, Metric is all well and good but I only drink pints and my '67 Mini bolt sizes are all Imperial.

ZAK wants me to set a date for MTM500 so let's go for Saturday April 28th to be setting off from either Mizen or Malin. We can work out those minor details if there's enough interest to do this.

Why don't we make the most of the international contacts and invite the Moke Club and a few of the Finns and Swedes? Let's get more Elfs, Hornets, Pickups, Estates etc out. To me that's variety.

Enough of the semantics, are you in or not?

Billy
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
1984 Mini Sprite
Weber45

Are you trying to make me commit to a finish date for the Marcos ????

Ohhhh, thats a dirty dig. :)

Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

Sorry Neil, didn't mean to put you under pressure but wouldn't you get more satisfaction out of getting the Marcos ready for MTM500 than lashing out the bones of 30 grand for a new MINI and watching it depreciate.

Re: Variety. One of my favourite moments since joining the IMOC many years ago was the track day in Mondello and the dicing lap after lap between Martin Buckley's Riley Elf and Richard Gledhill's Marcos. Now that's real variety IMOC-style.

Classics every time, in my humble opinion.

Billy
kerryminigringo
IMOC Paid Member
75 Clubman estate,
80 1275GT
91 RSP Cooper

was on mtm this year and there were no hornets,elfs,vans, pickups,mokes, MKI,MKII,woodys,so if a classic only mtm brings them out then how could it be a bad thing
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

If your going to bring Mondello into it does that mean I have to bring the Turbo! MTM in a day count me in. Club policy is to let binis in all club events but you never know that could change at the next agm. Personally I think they just slow things down, isn't that why they set off at 6am.!!

N17 was a bit boaring the first year I'm sure you could find afew extra miles around Galway.
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

N17

Post by Billy »

Woody, I take your point about the N17. As a Galwayman in exile, I'm sure we could bypass a lot of the N17. Western Region, any suggestions?

West of the N17 has been well covered in recent runs so what about east Galway, Roscommon, Leitrim? If this goes ahead, I'd like to see Mini folk along the western seaboard getting involved in the organisation

Remember a 1-day event isn't a sightseeing trip. It's about getting all Minis from Mizen Head to Malin Head (or vice versa) in one piece before it gets too dark. Mind you, the darkness made it easier to spot Mick Shea's headlights in the Moke finally approaching Malin back in MTM'99.

MTM500 won't be a race either. It should be just as easy for Liam Cotter's 850 Mini to complete as TMG's 1380 (or will you have the Marcos ready, Neil?). Part of me would love to do it in PIM872, my '67 automatic. Liam's car would be a rocket compared to it!

Billy
Douzeper
NON Member

Post by Douzeper »

Not a member of IMOC but have done MTM in 2002 in a classic Mini.

I would be well up for a one day event with classic Minis only and I'm sure I can speak for a few more off NI-Minis
Northern Ireland Minis
http://www.ni-minis.co.uk
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

Douzeper, all welcome. Thanks.

Some offline feedback for the forum to comment on:

1. Camp on the Friday night up the road from Mizen. Would certainly keep costs down but could turn others off. Mind you, there are B&B's nearby. I'm camping at Banna Strand this weekend and it's just a fiver a tent;

2. Keep it Mizen to Malin instead of Malin-Mizen as drivers would be knackered if the last stretch of the day's Run was up Molls Gap etc;

3. Use the N17 as it's safer on such a long day's driving.

Let me know what yawl think,

Billy

MTM 2007

Post by Guest »

I was talking to "Woody" the other day at the Mosney car show and he was telling me Billy was talking about a one day MTM... After I did the original one day run in my old 1275GT in '99, the following years were never the same. I'll never forget everyone cheering Mick O'Shea as he came tearing up the hill towards the tower at Malin head in his Moke. The sense of achievement was amazing. Unfortunately I no longer have that old GT or any Mini for that matter.
If the MTM500 goes ahead next year, you can pencil me and my brother in for it. It'll be the perfect test for his '69 Hornet.

Look forward to seeing ya Billy! :D
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

Jay, long time no see/hear. Hope yourself and Andy are keeping well. That black GT of yours was a fine job.

So that's 1 Hornet signed up. Drove the Mk1 automatic 4 miles around the block this morning, its 1st time on the road since the VHI ad in Bray 3 years ago.

Woody is sound so we still need an Elf, pick-up, van, Moke etc.

Billy
kerryminigringo
IMOC Paid Member
75 Clubman estate,
80 1275GT
91 RSP Cooper

billy if you take the mkI auto,I will bring my 74 clubby estate auto ,also a work in rogress but should be fit for it.I know its no snoop nose but i,m sure that tmg will be out in front with the marcos
just_st3v3n
NON Member
Whats your location?: cavan
Region: Northern
What Minis have you?: 1989 red mayfair aka project nancy
Modifications: Nancy is deseamed and will be getting some sort of modern engine someday

Post by just_st3v3n »

If theres a definite date me and my 1989 mini racing flame would be up 4 goin 4 a spin 2....... :D