Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

RSA clamping down on Vehicle Mods?

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

pn951
NON Member
Whats your location?: Cork
Region: Southern
What Minis have you?: 1979 Van
1979 Pick-Up
1990 RSP Cooper
1991 Lamm Convertible
1992 Mayfair
Modifications: Rust Rust Rust. Oh sorry thats not a mod, thats standard...

RSA clamping down on Vehicle Mods?

Post by pn951 »

Hi Folks,

Just got the latest issue of Irish Vintage Scene and they make a lot of reference to the Road Safety Authority launching a consultation on vehicle modifications, with the closing date for submissions being tomorrow, 20th March. The proposal is to police modifications/upgrades carried out on vehicles apparently, and the whole document is on the RSA.ie website in the consultations section. You can get to it from the IVS website too. I haven't read through it (yet), so I cannot comment on it but I think it covers all mods to all vehicles, truck, buses, motorcycles etc, and an innocent bloke fitting a set of alloy wheels to his Mini that rolled out the factory on steel rims will get caught in the same net. Lets face it, not many Mini's AREN'T modified in some way or other. Its something that we need to keep an eye on.....

joeyfinneran
NON Member
Whats your location?: roscommon
Region: Western

Re: RSA clamping down on Vehicle Mods?

Post by joeyfinneran »

Tbh in my opinion its just something been put into the media to take peoples eyes off more important items

If this comes into action many business will go tits up and cause us to go even feather into the hole were already in. :roll:

Dont they not see that modding cars is a huge business and generates loads of money for a lot of good tax paying people

Money spent of bodykit coiloverd ect is better than on illegals.
I know too many people that cant even go out at the weekends cause all there money went into there car :lol:
macker
NON Member
Whats your location?: THE FRIDGE
Region: Aboard
What Minis have you?: 110bhp 1968 mkII
Modifications: NEW Custom flakey paint

Post by macker »

yes but all uncle gaybo/RSA see is it being an antisocial thing that leads to speeding which as we all know is the cause of all deaths in this country! :evil:
ImageImageImage
joeyfinneran
NON Member
Whats your location?: roscommon

Post by joeyfinneran »

Lol most modded car now are going low and low car cant go fast :lol:

Sure more people die of smoking and drink related problems but tax goes up on them every year, but i do see his point.

One good thing is road deaths has fallen by 50% in like five years so it is going the right way but its never not going to be a problem
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

Like most legislation, it's all about enforcement. How many of you learner drivers have driven on a motorway when you know you're not allowed to? And how many times have you ever been stopped for doing so? The answer to the second one is probably never.

Unless you're acting the plonk on a public road, you probably have little to worry about although the NCT may be used to police modifications.

What people should concentrate more on is the effect than any modifications make to your insurance. If you haven't informed your insurance company of any modifications, then you may find in the event of an accident, the insurance won't pay out. But don't forget you're Irish which means you'll say nuthin and shur it'll never happen to me!!!
camroc
NON Member
Whats your location?: stephens green
Region: Eastern

Post by camroc »

i think this is to stop dangerous mods, like some dope in a civic or whatever just cutting his springs as opposed to buying lowering springs, and things like that I can sympathise with, however I am willing to bet that they will take it way to far and tell us that a lot of mods that are perfectly fine are illegal, and that a lot of us with perfectly safe vehicles will be penalised
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

I,ve seen some dangerious mods done to Minis and I've seen some standard parts in dangerious condition so at the end of the day some people are happy to drive dangerious cars while others won't. At present any car must be in road worthy condition and if not the Gardi have the power to stop it, enforce the current laws and stop making new ones.
Once again the majority will suffer for the actions of a few.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR