Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Project Mini 30

This section is for Mini projects and restorations and also the place to show off your pride and joy.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

rebelrob
NON Member
Whats your location?: Midleton,
Co. Cork
Region: Southern

Project Mini 30

Post by rebelrob »

Hi all i'm new here and to the world of Mini's in general, i bought a Mini 30 earlier this year and should be getting around to starting work on it in the coming weeks, anyway i'm looking for some info on what i have actually bought as its not a standard Mini 30, i got a folder of receipts with the car inc loads of MOT's and receipts from John Cooper Garages and a John Cooper Conversion Certificate. The car has a 998cc engine (possibly original as only 53000Miles) with twin SU Carbs, Janspeed Inlet Manifold & exhaust, the interior is full leather seats, roofcloth & door cards with walnut dash and door handles/window winders so any info anyone can give me would be fantastic as i dont have a clue what i've bought as in the bodykit & conversion etc etc
Heres a link to pics of it
http://s1160.photobucket.com/albums/q496/rebelplates/
Thanks
Robert Mehigan

Mini_reo
NON Member
Whats your location?: Clonegal Co. Carlow

Re: Project Mini 30

Post by Mini_reo »

Maybe I'm wrong but it looks like a zemax body kit
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the forum. I'm working in Knockgriffin in Midleton and you'll often see my red '98 Cooper parked outside SECAD most days.

What you've got your hands on is a rare machine which first of all appears to have had a John Cooper conversion. These were kits developed for the Japanese market and were designed to give the 998 engine a boost. It was based on the success of these kits that Rover started discussions with John Cooper about relaunching the Mini Cooper in 1990.

Can you tell what the engine number is on the block?

Over time it looks like someone has added the bodykit, arches, wheels etc. Your car will be worth more in the long run by getting it looking back to standard and retaining all the John Cooper conversion bits.

Give me a buzz. I'd love to see the car.

Billy
rebelrob
NON Member
Co. Cork

Post by rebelrob »

thanks for the replys, Billy i've got a workshop directly across from Waterrock Golf Course so i'm there pretty much all day everyday so just pop in whenever you want to check it out
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

I'll drop over later today.
rebelrob
NON Member
Co. Cork

Post by rebelrob »

no worries i should be around all but my number is 0876883902 in case i'm missing
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

Thanks for showing me your project Robert. You certainly have your hands full. You definitely have the real McCoy though, a genuine John Cooper converted Mini 30.

Keep us updated once you get stuck in to it.

Billy
rebelrob
NON Member
Co. Cork

Post by rebelrob »

Nice to meet you today Billy, thank you for looking & for the info, i'll post pics as i go along (dont be expecting any to soon) as i said this will be a long term project :lol:
Kenneth Murphy
NON Member
Whats your location?: knockbine
tullycanna
ballymitty
co. wexford.
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1972 pick up
1979 leyland
88 designer

Post by Kenneth Murphy »

ERA turbo replica body kit,
................................FOUNDER OF HILLBILLY ENGINEERING.................................
FROM THIS TO THISImage
rebelrob
NON Member
Co. Cork

Post by rebelrob »

alrite so i still havent started my project but i have got some very good news about it first off kenneth your right about the era turbo bodykit the second thing is that my car is one of the original 75 conversions done by John Cooper Garages so it is 1 of 75 which is quite rare but i'm trying to find out how many of those 75 were Mini 30's just to try to make it unique :lol: :lol: i'll keep ye updated
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

Great news Rob.

Get some photos up.