Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

heater problem

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

donalw
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dublin 24
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1994 rover mini 1.3i classic 35

heater problem

Post by donalw »

if anyone can help with this it would be great, I have a 94 spi, it's my first mini and I was surprised by how bad the heating in the car was, is it meant to be that bad?not only does it never seem to heat up above say...breath temperature , but it's also as if it's been blown out by a couple of straws, so much so that it's unable to stop the windscreen from misting up on a cold night. also the temperature gauge doesnt even hit the marker,its way off , it rises just above the cold mark, its not the thermostat i replaced that, anyone got any idea's what this could be r is there anything wrong at all? the c ar has air con if this makes any difference?
cheers

keith
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dún Laoghaire, Dublin
What Minis have you?: '93 SPi cooper

Re: heater problem

Post by keith »

i know you said you replaced the thermostat, but it does sound as if its not allowing the engine to get to normal operating temp. some thermostats open at lower temp - the temp is stamped on 'stat. i went from a 92c to 88c to help an overheating problem. dont suspect the gauge too soon.

mini blowers were never very good, so need the temp to be hot as poss: check that the air hoses to the screen are attached to the blower. ive no experience of air-con minis though, so it may be different

also the heater core can silt up, reducing flow further. flush it out 'tlll the water runs clear.
Signature still awaiting top-coat and lacquer....
clubmankev
NON Member
Whats your location?: Lucan, Dublin.
What Minis have you?: 1997 mini cooper

Post by clubmankev »

The gauge not reaching 'normal' range could be down to the sender unit. I had this problem myself in the past. The heater not blowing hot could be down to a blockage as Keith posted. The heater hoses can corrode on the inside causing rusty deposits to fall away, thus clogging the system.
MINI
...where size doesn't matter!

woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

Very hard to find info on air conditioning in the mini.Is the air con used for heating and cooling or cooling only. Are there WATER pipes from the engine to the air con unit. Its possable that a bad earth behind the dash could give a low temp reading and slow down the fan.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

Just found the air con wiring diagrams, the blower speed is controled by a resistor pack somewhere.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR