Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

rocker cover question..

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

constantdreamer
NON Member
Whats your location?: kildare
What Minis have you?: mpi cooper
Modifications: uprated brakes and suspension, gt spec head, maniflow lcb and full exhaust system. k&n filter element in 'modified' standard housing. good quality falken tyres.

rocker cover question..

Post by constantdreamer »

a quick question for someone.....I'm looking to buy some high lift rockers for my mpi but I'm wondering will the standard rocker cover have enough clearance for them? the only reason i ask is because I see minispares sell their own brand of rocker cover and state that it is made to fit high lift rockers.

Merlin
NON Member
What Minis have you?: Mk1 Austin Mini,Mk3 Layland Mini,72Van,81 Clubman Estate, 87 Race carand a 2000 Rover Cooper.
Modifications: Mk1: 998 with flat top slipper pistons, 286 cam, 12G940 head 11:1 compression twin inch and a half SU's 5 speed gearbox. Mk3 998 automatic no mods, 72Van is a pile of rust, , Racer is being built but has the works and the 2000 rover cooper needs an engine again :(

Re: rocker cover question..

Post by Merlin »

I would Greatly advise you do not put 1.5 roller rockers on an otherwise standard MPI all this will succeed in doing is wearing out you cam, I know John Cooper used it as part of his tuning kit but I have had many John cooper minis in my garage with worn out camshafts.

If your looking for more power try having the head ported and polished and fit one of the alloy throttle bodies this will increase you power and save your engine.
regards,
Paul.
constantdreamer
NON Member
Modifications: uprated brakes and suspension, gt spec head, maniflow lcb and full exhaust system. k&n filter element in 'modified' standard housing. good quality falken tyres.

well i have stage 3 head with full maniflow system and k&n filter. I'm just looking at what to do next. You reckon the 52mm throttle body is worth it over high lift rockers?
Merlin
NON Member
What Minis have you?: Mk1 Austin Mini,Mk3 Layland Mini,72Van,81 Clubman Estate, 87 Race carand a 2000 Rover Cooper.
Modifications: Mk1: 998 with flat top slipper pistons, 286 cam, 12G940 head 11:1 compression twin inch and a half SU's 5 speed gearbox. Mk3 998 automatic no mods, 72Van is a pile of rust, , Racer is being built but has the works and the 2000 rover cooper needs an engine again :(

Post by Merlin »

It is a wort wile modification,

the standard cam in the MPI is made from a very soft material this when coupled with double valve springs which will be on your stage 3 head and 1.5 roller rockers will wear out in no time we are only talking about a couple of 1000 miles at best ! if you want more power you will need a cam change or a displacement increase,
regards,
Paul.
constantdreamer
NON Member

yeah I was looking at the cams from swiftune and such and they seems relatively good value, taking the engine out is a wee bit daunting though :shock: . maybe I'll give it a go next summer and change the final drive while I'm at it. anyhow cheers for the advice, I'm pretty new to tuning and mechanics in general so I need all the advice I can get,ha.
wzd345
NON Member

Post by wzd345 »

To answer the original question:

Yes, the standard rocker covers will accommodate all the high lift rocker gears. The alloy aftermarket ones, including the MG Metro cover will almost all need to be relieved somewhere on the inside for full clearance.

The one on your car is always the cheapest and you can repaint, fit vent pipes or chrome it to suit yourself.

[quote="constantdreamer"]a quick question for someone.....I'm looking to buy some high lift rockers for my mpi but I'm wondering will the standard rocker cover have enough clearance for them? the only reason i ask is because I see minispares sell their own brand of rocker cover and state that it is made to fit high lift rockers.[/quote]
constantdreamer
NON Member

cheers wzd345. I reckon I'll take Merlin's advice though and leave the rockers until I change cam.