Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

10" disk brake assembly

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

sanguiss
NON Member

10" disk brake assembly

Post by sanguiss »

Hi guys, I received yesterday my "new" 10" disk brake assembly to replace the drum brakes. Basically reconditioned hubs and driveshafts with new calipers, disks, dirve flanges, cv joints and ball joints, all assembled. I had a quick look at it and I noticed two things, one drive shaft is shorter than the other, is that normal?
second thing, the lower ball joints are moving quite ok, while the upper ball joints are not moving at all. This said i haven't tried greasing them, did the guy that assembled them assemble them too tight?

sanguiss
NON Member

Re: 10" disk brake assembly

Post by sanguiss »

Just to clarify it's a 7.5" disk brake assembly for 10" wheels
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Re: 10" disk brake assembly

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

All Minis have one long and one short drive shaft, to accommodate the offset of the differential at the back of the gearbox.

As for your ball joints, when properly shimmed you should just barely be able to move them by hand, they should still be stiff enough to move even with the aid of a ring spanner on the taper of the joint.

The bottom joint should firstly be shimmed correctly without the spring in place then disassembled and reassembled to the proper torque with the spring fitted.

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.