Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

A bit of a fine tune?

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

StanO'Toole
NON Member
Whats your location?: South Dublin
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1995 Mini Mayfair
1994 Mini Sprite

A bit of a fine tune?

Post by StanO'Toole »

I'm just thinking now that Stud should almost be ready from his gearbox rebuild that I would like him to be running right and even a bit more responsive. The engine is a fuel injected 1275cc 1995 model with 50k odd. I think its a spi but I'm not sure. I'l post a picture soon enough to see if anyone can tell me what is.

So has anyone got any ideas on what I can do or get done to make this happen? It needs a new exaust so I'm thinking a centre exit just to get a nice rasp from him. Any ideas?

Any ideas would be brill. Thanks lads and lasses.

StanO'Toole :mrgreen:

Getting old is a must but growing up is optional!

sanguiss
NON Member

Re: A bit of a fine tune?

Post by sanguiss »

As far a i know the spi was introduced in 1992 and the mpi only late in 1998, so yours it's definitely an spi.
since you have to put in a new exhaust you could put in a stage 1 kit, so that you get better flow of gases out of the engine.
check with a specialilst about the exhaust, you ca have small bore or big bore exhausts, but not always teh big bore is better
StanO'Toole
NON Member
1994 Mini Sprite

Post by StanO'Toole »

Well I have not bought the exhaust yet. I said that I would ask the lads and lasses and here before I bought any parts as not to fimiler with the performance side of Minis.

TONY R
NON Member

Post by TONY R »

on the exhaust side a maniflow is always a good bet . for performance a swiftune s w 5 cam
is an all singing all dancing good for emissions in all engines upgrade if you want to go that far . look into it , it surprised me when i fitted one in my 998 :wink:
mad4mini's
NON Member
Whats your location?: dublin
What Minis have you?: 191 mini city
Modifications: none yet but buster will have plenty done to him after the resto :D

Post by mad4mini's »

dont go to mad stan it can be a bitch to get injected cars thru an nct if there modified.....i'm not trying to rain on ur parade or ny thing just dont go so mad that you cant keep it road legal!!
StanO'Toole
NON Member
1994 Mini Sprite

Post by StanO'Toole »

I was keeping that in mind alright. Thanks for the heads up dude.

And I heard good things about Manflow!

keith
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dún Laoghaire, Dublin
What Minis have you?: '93 SPi cooper

Post by keith »

stan, after playing with my m8 karls MPi cooper im well impressed with the roller tip 1.5:1 rockers... (and stage 3 head... 750 sterling all in to include stainless exhaust? ) having said that, he hasn't got it thru the NCT yet, it was failed for emissions, but then the valve clearances were only 300% out. we'll see next week.
depends on the money u want to spend stan.. the stage 1 kit was 150 euro more or less when i put it on a 998 carb mini, and very nice it was too.
as the engine in my SPi cooper is still in the car im thinking of putting on a nice exhaust manifold and the 1.5:1 rockers. and if it fails NCT i can always pop back the old rockers for the test. it already has a K&N air filter element.
if i had the engine out id be very tempted to add the sw5 cam Tony mentioned.

here's a free way to make it more responsive *and* save fuel: reduce the weight of the car... empty out the boot, remove carpets & underlay, rear seats, speakers, etc. make sure your steering is 100% right, the brakes not dragging and the tyres pumped to correct pressure, spark plugs good, air filter clean.