Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Radiator Issues

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

dragonfly78
NON Member

Radiator Issues

Post by dragonfly78 »

Hi all

So my 96 Mini Cooper almost overheated yesterday and when I checked under my bonnet I noticed that the radiator cap had spewed dirty rusty water everywhere. I let the engine cool, and then refilled the radiator and that got me home, but I heard gurgling noises coming from the radiator when I switched off the engine an checked the radiator cap. It was hissing steam. And on checking the water level sure enough it was very low again.

So I suspect the radiator cap (as there was steam hissing out there when I arrived home) and I have a new one on order.

Is the rusty water a good sign? I suspect not. How can I clean up my water and prevent that happening in future?

Any other tips to help me sort this issue out? Any an all help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

steeo
NON Member

Re: Radiator Issues

Post by steeo »

Could be something as simple as a broken thermostat ???
dragonfly78
NON Member

Post by dragonfly78 »

steeo wrote:Could be something as simple as a broken thermostat ???
I'm not sure how that would work. Had zero issues until yesterday with the radiator in the year I have owned it, and a week or two ago I removed the radiator cap to check the water level. Might I have damaged the cap seal then perhaps?
Deadly Dave
NON Member
What Minis have you?: 1990 Black Checkmate 998cc

Post by Deadly Dave »

As Steeo said it could be a stat problem. They are cheap enough so its worth while replacing it anyway. Dont forget to put antifreeze in when refilling as this prevents corrosion in the cooling system.
Deadly Dave Image
dragonfly78
NON Member

Post by dragonfly78 »

Deadly Dave wrote:As Steeo said it could be a stat problem. They are cheap enough so its worth while replacing it anyway. Dont forget to put antifreeze in when refilling as this prevents corrosion in the cooling system.
Cheers lads.

What exactly should I look to order? I use minispares.com so if anyone could give me a bit of direction there I'd appreciate it.

What is the ratio of anti-freeze to water, and any recommended antifreeze? That might sort out the corrosion issue I'm seeing with the rusty water.
Deadly Dave
NON Member
What Minis have you?: 1990 Black Checkmate 998cc

Post by Deadly Dave »

dragonfly78 wrote:
Deadly Dave wrote:As Steeo said it could be a stat problem. They are cheap enough so its worth while replacing it anyway. Dont forget to put antifreeze in when refilling as this prevents corrosion in the cooling system.
Cheers lads.

What exactly should I look to order? I use minispares.com so if anyone could give me a bit of direction there I'd appreciate it.

What is the ratio of anti-freeze to water, and any recommended antifreeze? That might sort out the corrosion issue I'm seeing with the rusty water.
Your local motor factors would probably have or can get in the parts.
Antifreeze ratios would be 30:60 AF :water up to 50:50. You might aswell flush the system when you are there too.
Deadly Dave Image