Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Tinkerbelle - was: [Our '84 Convertible Pile of Rust]

This section is for Mini projects and restorations and also the place to show off your pride and joy.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

marcexec
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dublin 14
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: '84 Austin Mini 998, aftermarket softtop conversion (probably done in the 90's), BRG (a shade darker than original), rare headlamp rims with peaks (one piece), 3 piece wooden dash with 2x gloveboxes
Modifications: 12x fusebox, moved to interior, Hi-Los and Stage 1 kit, W&P Style arches, 12" minilites, 4x Wipac, T7 heater with special Y pieces, 7Ah motorbike battery in engine bay, Powerspark Distributor, reclining bucket seats bolted directly to floor, custom switchboard with MP4 player as headunit and small 20W amplifier, some burr pieces

Tinkerbelle - was: [Our '84 Convertible Pile of Rust]

Post by marcexec »

Hi,

I'd like to present our Mini:

- it's a 1l engined '84, around 47k Miles
- the mechanics seem sound
- after fighting the rust we want a respray in BRG
- the bodykit is for sale, we would like to give it a classic look

We are from Germany and recently moved to Kildare Town, so any advice how/where to get things is very much appreciated.
In general I think I can handle everything except welding and real good resprays.
I plan to remove all the surface rust and apply some Hammerite in the interior and boot area.

Of course we will come to Mondello, it would be nice meeting some of you there!

I would appreciate tips on who would be a good welder / panel beater in the area, or where i can get a quality respray.

some pics

Last edited by marcexec on Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lucas - Lord of the Darkness
StevenR
NON Member

Re: Our '84 Convertible Pile of Rust - Full body restauration

Post by StevenR »

Willkommen,
Looks like you have a nice project on your hands there. I'm sure you'll be able to get plenty of advise of people on Sunday with regards the body work. Keep us all updated with the progress.
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Re: Our '84 Convertible Pile of Rust - Full body restoration

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

Hi Marc and welcome to the forum, you'll find most of us will be in Mondello at the weekend and you will get a chance to chat to other Club members from Co. Kildare, commonly known as the M.I.C.K's,( Mini's In County Kildare ), have a look at their cars and find out where they got them sprayed.

Ian from Mini Quip will be there also , he carries a lot of spares and panels and is based in the North but he makes it down to a good few shows throughout the year.

Other than that many people just order stuff in from England from the likes of Somerford who seem to be very quick and helpful.

See you Sunday,
TMG

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
joe f murray
NON Member

Post by joe f murray »

hi you have a nice we car there. i have some body panels if you are interested. i have 2 front wings / full front panel / and a bonnet all new i bought them for a project and then changed my mind. so if you are interested in them you can pm me or give me a call on 087 7517831.
joe
just_st3v3n
NON Member
Whats your location?: cavan
Region: Northern
What Minis have you?: 1989 red mayfair aka project nancy
Modifications: Nancy is deseamed and will be getting some sort of modern engine someday

Post by just_st3v3n »

welcome to the forum..
thats a nice job ya have ahead of ya there i have pretty much done all what you are about to do :mrgreen: here check it out http://irishminis.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2480
if ya want a hand wit the welding let me know...

steven
marcexec
NON Member
What Minis have you?: '84 Austin Mini 998, aftermarket softtop conversion (probably done in the 90's), BRG (a shade darker than original), rare headlamp rims with peaks (one piece), 3 piece wooden dash with 2x gloveboxes
Modifications: 12x fusebox, moved to interior, Hi-Los and Stage 1 kit, W&P Style arches, 12" minilites, 4x Wipac, T7 heater with special Y pieces, 7Ah motorbike battery in engine bay, Powerspark Distributor, reclining bucket seats bolted directly to floor, custom switchboard with MP4 player as headunit and small 20W amplifier, some burr pieces

Post by marcexec »

Thanks,
(und Dankeschön für das "Willkommen" :D )

We are really looking forward to Mondello.

Any suggestions on what has to be done / is the most sensible thing to do with the shell? Should we replace panels or can they be saved with a little welding.

For Rust Proofing I am looking at http://www.rustaway.ie/catalog/product_ ... ucts_id=29
Any experience with that?

@Steven: I would appreciate your offer, but aren't you a little far away? Isn't Cavan 130kms to the north of Kildare Town? That's what Google says, anyway ;-)

And since we are only 20kms from Mondello: If someone has a longer way to travel, I think I could convince my wife that we can offer B&B for fellow Mini enthusiasts on Saturday to Sunday morning.
Give me a call for that: 086/8951758 / Marc
just_st3v3n
NON Member
Modifications: Nancy is deseamed and will be getting some sort of modern engine someday

Post by just_st3v3n »

ah im not working so it only seems like a short spin up the road...
the drive to dublin would be more or less the same which i do quite often...

i my opinion i would say to get a whole new front end it looks pretty bad from the pics, the cost of the panels isnt oh so much and you might even consider a fibreglass flip front..
the footwell can be patched up i reckon, the cracking is just the rubber floor insulation give the rust a rub with a wire brush and you might find its just surface rust...
a patch can be made up for the rear arch if its just that hole but if the lip/around it is rusty a replacement panel can be bought..
also expect to buy some new inner/outer sills..

im going to mondello on saturday so prolly be talking to ya there :)

steven
marcexec
NON Member

Post by marcexec »

Yeah, I already gathered that from your present thread.

How will I recognize you guys, anyway?
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

Steven will be easy to spot, he'll have a hi-vis jacket on.

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
just_st3v3n
NON Member

Post by just_st3v3n »

good point marc...
The Marcos Graveyard wrote:Steven will be easy to spot, he'll have a hi-vis jacket on.
:o how did you know that neill!!!!?????????

il start a thread on this cuz i still dont have a clue on peoples names faces etc...
marcexec
NON Member

Post by marcexec »

To clear up 2 things:

1.)

That's me. :shock:

2.)
the offer of B&B Saturday to Sunday still stands (wife says OK). Price: one educated look at CPoR and a whole lot of advice.
We actually have a 4 bedroom house for just 2 people and a dog. There's place for 5 and for another Mini on the driveway :D
marcexec
NON Member

Post by marcexec »

This evening I found some time and good weather to hammer and wire-brush away some rust and much much more filler. What was left of the roof had been completely "restyled". No wonder if you look at all the dents.

I have made some pics so that you can give advice on which panels to keep and which to buy new. If possible we would like to buy them at Mondello.

Most importantly would you remove what's left of the roof? Are there panels available? You can see some holes an there is surface rust on the inside. The sills are OK. The front probably isn't worth restoring, is it?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
marcexec
NON Member

Post by marcexec »

My wife just complained that I do not like "her" Mini (because of CPoR) and that it will be BRG. Also she says that it is more lovely than those "evil" photos show (probably she thinks ther may be good parts, too). :roll:
just_st3v3n
NON Member

Post by just_st3v3n »

that looks like a lot of work... :shock: <---- dont be put of by that comment though :mrgreen:

whole front end and bonnet here cheap enough, he going to mondello too
http://irishminis.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3292
kenno
NON Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda

Post by kenno »

looks great. Welll done!!
marcexec
NON Member

Post by marcexec »

kenno wrote:looks great. Welll done!!
Thanks, we've only just begun.

BTW are you on some kind of nightshift? 4:30 AM! :shock:
joe f murray
NON Member

Post by joe f murray »

Hi, just in case you think I did a runner with your money, Steven hasn't contacted me about collecting the parts yet. They're ready and waiting.
marcexec
NON Member

Post by marcexec »

Thx, Joe, worked out nicely.

I'll update this thread tomorrow.
Jozi
NON Member

Post by Jozi »

marcexec wrote:Thx, Joe, worked out nicely.

I'll update this thread tomorrow.
Where's the update :D

I know you've been working Steven pretty hard the past few days, poor lad :P
marcexec
NON Member

Post by marcexec »

Jozi wrote: I know you've been working Steven pretty hard the past few days, poor lad :P
Us too!

I tried to send pics to work, now I've got them:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

We basically did some cleaning and applied the 2-component rust proofing (Epoxy Mastic, rustaway.ie) which ist quite thrifty: ~50ml for the hat-rack and edges, 125ml for the rest.
I think it's quite cool, it is not as soft as stone chip, btw.
marcexec
NON Member

Post by marcexec »

more pics

the parts chaos

rear subframe still in

front removed partially

our great help & welder Steven (D_3m0_n), though he's not familiar with German electric drills (insider)

front out, the new one is aready partially in, but we didn't make any pictures yet (they will come, I promise!)

when we removed the rear subframe, the pipe around a shock broke (rusted away) so I ordered 4 new ones and new bushes as well from OLD SKOOL MINI PARTS through eBay. Nice guy, called him afterwards to add a gasket that wasn't in his shop. His offer was cheap on shipping, have to see about the rest.
marcexec
NON Member

Post by marcexec »

just shopped for some tools, found those a good offer and ordered:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tap-Wrench-set-M5 ... 7C294%3A30

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0307552711

just thought it might interest someone
marcexec
NON Member

Re: Our '84 Convertible Pile of Rust - Structural Integrity?

Post by marcexec »

Structural Integrity
(yes, I know, too much StarTrek)

This evening the guy who'll probably do the paint job went by and said that this yoke/half-cage thing is not enough for a convertible Mini shell.
He said the body will twist when stressed. The cracks on the bodykit might have been an indication...

What do you guys think?

Some pics of the present state and the work Steven had done on Tuesday. The offside part of the front has to be re-done because it did not line up perfectly. You can also see where the yoke is attached.

ImageImageImageImageImage
marcexec
NON Member

Post by marcexec »

Suggestion:
would it make sense to add some 3 by 3 or 4 by 4 cm steel pipe in those places?

ImageImage
macker
NON Member
Whats your location?: THE FRIDGE
Region: Aboard
What Minis have you?: 110bhp 1968 mkII
Modifications: NEW Custom flakey paint

Post by macker »

i would tend to agree!

from past experience of cutting a roof off a mini without any strengthening bars in place when you open both doors at the same time and step in, thats it! body folds in two!

you need a lot more strengthening in a mini convertable!
ImageImageImage