Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Tinkerbelle - was: [Our '84 Convertible Pile of Rust]

This section is for Mini projects and restorations and also the place to show off your pride and joy.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

Miniman
NON Member
Whats your location?: Cavan
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1966 850,92 city,98 2.5turbo R33 Nissan Skyline and a 1979 Mini Clubman
Modifications: To many to list!

Re: Our '84 Convertible Pile of Rust - Full body restoration

Post by Miniman »

A rollcage would be a good idea and would give you that strength you need :wink:

Bending the rules,and ruling the bends,Since 1959!
marcexec
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dublin 14
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: '84 Austin Mini 998, aftermarket softtop conversion (probably done in the 90's), BRG (a shade darker than original), rare headlamp rims with peaks (one piece), 3 piece wooden dash with 2x gloveboxes
Modifications: 12x fusebox, moved to interior, Hi-Los and Stage 1 kit, W&P Style arches, 12" minilites, 4x Wipac, T7 heater with special Y pieces, 7Ah motorbike battery in engine bay, Powerspark Distributor, reclining bucket seats bolted directly to floor, custom switchboard with MP4 player as headunit and small 20W amplifier, some burr pieces

Post by marcexec »

macker wrote:i would tend to agree!

from past experience of cutting a roof off a mini without any strengthening bars in place when you open both doors at the same time and step in, thats it! body folds in two!

you need a lot more strengthening in a mini convertable!
Miniman wrote:A rollcage would be a good idea and would give you that strength you need :wink:
Thx, mates. We definitely do not want a rollcage. No real point in a convertible with a rollcage. Maybe with a British Open or the likes.

So what would you add? Strutbars?

Any suggestions (even crazy ones for the sake of argument :P ) appreciated!
Lucas - Lord of the Darkness
macker
NON Member
Whats your location?: THE FRIDGE
Region: Aboard
What Minis have you?: 110bhp 1968 mkII
Modifications: NEW Custom flakey paint

Post by macker »

i think what was suggested to me was to add bracing bars inside the sills and then through the front and rear of the floor!

i couldnt tell you how it turned out as it never went any further
ImageImageImage
Jozi
NON Member

Post by Jozi »

Just look at the E30 BMW Baur edition. It's a convertible but still as the side windows as such, a bit like having a cage. It doesn't look great, to me at least.

I'd see if you can get a look at someone else's convertible, see where they are structurally strengthened, there has to be at least on here? Roll cage to me would be against what a convertible is, a nice cruising machine, not something I see being raced around. (All just my opinion)
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

If you check the online panel catalogs they should show you where the extra strength was added for the Lamm and Rover Cabriolets.

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
marcexec
NON Member
What Minis have you?: '84 Austin Mini 998, aftermarket softtop conversion (probably done in the 90's), BRG (a shade darker than original), rare headlamp rims with peaks (one piece), 3 piece wooden dash with 2x gloveboxes
Modifications: 12x fusebox, moved to interior, Hi-Los and Stage 1 kit, W&P Style arches, 12" minilites, 4x Wipac, T7 heater with special Y pieces, 7Ah motorbike battery in engine bay, Powerspark Distributor, reclining bucket seats bolted directly to floor, custom switchboard with MP4 player as headunit and small 20W amplifier, some burr pieces

Post by marcexec »

The Marcos Graveyard wrote:If you check the online panel catalogs they should show you where the extra strength was added for the Lamm and Rover Cabriolets.
Hmm, apparently the Lamm cabriolet had just a strengthened B post and an assembly from that point on half-height to the rest of the C post:Image
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

From what I remember there was also a fair bit of strengthening to the sills and a second cross member in front of the rear seat.

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
marcexec
NON Member

Post by marcexec »

Ok, folks, we had visitors the other weekend, but after that we (incl. Steven for another day) got some work done:

I removed the heater, due to a stuck valve (WD40 works wonders) I got this:

Pictures before the last welding:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

and after it:
ImageImageImageImage

one evenings worth of work on the roof:
ImageImageImage

some detailed shots:
ImageImageImage

and the worst of the rest:
ImageImage
just_st3v3n
NON Member
Whats your location?: cavan
Region: Northern
What Minis have you?: 1989 red mayfair aka project nancy
Modifications: Nancy is deseamed and will be getting some sort of modern engine someday

Post by just_st3v3n »

how you gettin on with the car marc???
did i leave some tools there by the way? :?:

steven
some day....
marcexec
NON Member

Post by marcexec »

D_3m0_n wrote:how you gettin on with the car marc???

steven

the car is with the spray painter ATM,

and yes, you did leave some tools: some files, your broken grinder (brushes worn, I checked it), and a grip or two

I was expecting a call since you said you're near Dublin once in a while...

to all the others: I'll put up some pics this weekend, promise!
(we have been busy, PIL visiting...)
just_st3v3n
NON Member
Modifications: Nancy is deseamed and will be getting some sort of modern engine someday

Post by just_st3v3n »

marcexec wrote:
D_3m0_n wrote:how you gettin on with the car marc???

steven

the car is with the spray painter ATM,

and yes, you did leave some tools: some files, your broken grinder (brushes worn, I checked it), and a grip or two

I was expecting a call since you said you're near Dublin once in a while...

to all the others: I'll put up some pics this weekend, promise!
(we have been busy, PIL visiting...)
exciting stuff then so... 8)
how much is the painting costin ya??

yea i thought i left them there alright... :( wasnt sure cuz im always buyin tools and theres so many in the garage already i wasnt sure ... havent been near dublin in a good while il give ya a buzz when i am and il come check out the mini too :)
some day....
marcexec
NON Member

Post by marcexec »

As promised some newer pics:

A Mini in a Cage (the trailer cover fits perfectly):
ImageImageImageImage

the strengthening bars (40x40mm, ~68cm long):
ImageImage
Steven did a pretty good job there, didn't he?

Before the car went to the spray painter, we removed most of the paint and applied some of the Epoxy Mastic on the floor from the inside and cleaned, epoxied and waxoiled the front wing undesides.
A lot of work, but not much to look at, so we don't have pics.
marcexec
NON Member

Post by marcexec »

some new pics:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
marcexec
NON Member

Post by marcexec »

Just an update: it's actually driving again!
We took it for a spin to the Gas Station yesterday - after I bleeded the brakes and the clutch.

There is still a lot to do, most importantly the roof...
marcexec
NON Member

Post by marcexec »

Jus to give you guys a well-deserved update:

Still some work to do, though. Mostly rubber parts, including cones. Exhaust needs new mountings. Painter overtightened a bolt - no big deal.
In total ~200£ from Minispares...
Last edited by marcexec on Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
just_st3v3n
NON Member

Post by just_st3v3n »

nice to see the final result, she's looking very nice indeed, those seats are class...
is the wife happy? 8)

steven
some day....
marcexec
NON Member

Post by marcexec »

just_st3v3n wrote:nice to see the final result, she's looking very nice indeed, those seats are class...
is the wife happy? 8)

steven
Yes, she most definitely is!
Thanks for your help again - you did a good job!
miniireland

Re: Tinkerbelle - was: [Our '84 Convertible Pile of Rust]

Post by miniireland »

nice job on the mini, would you not use photobucket for your pictures, that popup on your hosting site is really annoying
Jozi
NON Member

Post by Jozi »

No popups here from that hosting site.

Looks great and in time for the summer
mustard
NON Member
What Minis have you?: 97 rover cooper sportspack, a bloody metro and MY 61 mini van

Post by mustard »

great to see your finished she looks really well....
If ya can't fix it with a hammer, its an electrical problem!

J & A Commercials and Auto Repairs ltd.
From Minis to Trucks, everything and anything
Clondalkin Dublin 22
Contact Mick: 0868526492 or 014578687
Kenneth Murphy
NON Member
Whats your location?: knockbine
tullycanna
ballymitty
co. wexford.
What Minis have you?: 1972 pick up
1979 leyland
88 designer

Post by Kenneth Murphy »

looking very nice!!!
................................FOUNDER OF HILLBILLY ENGINEERING.................................
FROM THIS TO THISImage
marcexec
NON Member

Post by marcexec »

She is not looking so nice any more.
We had an accident:
http://www.irishminis.ie/forum/viewtopi ... 451#p40400

As we bumped into Rebecca's Mini - sorry again!

The result on our side:

We were able to limp home but this will be some work!

To cheer my wife up we decided to add one thing or the other, which will be documented here!
Project: Tinkerbelle 1.5!

The most important thing is to repair the damage, but we are playing around with some ideas/upgrades as well:
- adding head- and foglights (the small ones, 5.5"?), might hide some of the creases
- HiLos to get the proper ride height for the 13" wheels

any suggestions welcome
marcexec
NON Member

Post by marcexec »

In the meantime we obviously got her fixed again - looks the same as before :roll:

A new clutch went in as well.

The reason for posting is that we passed the NCT without any complaints!
The tester definitely had a weak spot for Minis...