Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Durrow never again

This section is about Events hosted/attended by the Irish Mini Owners Club

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

mini1275gt
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Dublin
What Minis have you?: 1275
Modifications: IMOC Member

Durrow never again

Post by mini1275gt »

Hi All

Just had to write this note to express my total fustration with todays event. It took us over 3 hours to leave the field .First of all there was only one Garda on point duty and the whole event was way over crowded to allow people leave .

Please do not take this as a slant against the organisiers as i am sure they did not realise the amount of cars would arrive but better planning is required for these events in future?
Also there were no garda on point duty in Abbeyleix at the traffic lights which delayed people even further .

Got into my car at 4.15PM and arrived home in Bray at 10PM
mini1275gt is offline Reply With Quote :x

Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Re: Durrow never again

Post by Billy »

Perhaps a similar note to Austin Ryan the organiser, Irish Vintage Scene, and/or the Guards might help prevent a similar situation next year.

I expressed my opinion to Tom Heavey of Irish Vintage Scene at the show and while IVS don't organise Durrow, comments in reviews of the show will put pressure on all concerned to be better prepared if the show is allowed take place again.

Billy
sprintmini
NON Member

Post by sprintmini »

Whilst I cannot comment on the Durrow show, I will say some shows of this kind can become too popular for the venues.
I have noticed some shows cancelled as the organisers fail to find suitable exit routes and are left struggling with event costs etc.
Having assisted in organising a national car show (The Imp Club 40th anniversary) I know only too well what its like to have hundreds of people attending your event and having to ensure everyone includng the locals are kept happy.
As mentioned maybe they need to move to a bigger site with better access or reduce the numbers of entrants/visitors.
There is nothing worse than having to wait to go home after a long day.
tomcom
NON Member

Post by tomcom »

one single exit with hundreds trying to get out & two big gates kept closed. they should have set up two lanes. left for cork & right for dublin " simple" .. stevie wonder would have spotted this one. after saying that we still had a great day even if we didnt get a back load to kerry for the jiffy.....
thestillminis
NON Member
Whats your location?: Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford
What Minis have you?: 1963 Morris Mini Pick Up
1967 Morris Mini Saloon
2002 Mini Seven

Post by thestillminis »

Two hours to get to the main gate, exit from gate onto road I must say was ok, but the venue was definately over crowded. Was there an emergency exit? A total revamp is needed for next year, but a fabulous show of vehicles.
Chris
Loch Garman Abu
mad-mini
NON Member
Whats your location?: The Garden of Ireland, Co. Wicklow
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 59 Austin seven deluxe, 63 mk1 Riley elf, 65 Austin mini, 69 Morris mini minor, 73 Austin 850, 70 1275 cooper s, 82 Mini van, 84 mini 25.
Modifications: ALL IRISH CARS

Post by mad-mini »

thestillminis wrote: Was there an emergency exit??
Chris
Hi Chris. Yes there was emergency exit but the gardai siad that everyone should leave throught the one gate. :twisted: :twisted:

Steven
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

I was talking to Tom Heavey, IVS this morning and apparently there will be major changes next year. It all depends on when the new motorway bypasses Durrow. Definitely the public car park will have to be a separate field and exit. Also there's opportunity for more chip vans. Hopefully it will go ahead as the content was great but the traffic management was hopeless.

Billy