Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

1974 Mini 850

This section is for Mini projects and restorations and also the place to show off your pride and joy.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

feens
NON Member

1974 Mini 850

Post by feens »

Hi there ive Got a Chocolate brown 74' Mini 850 I Need to Get a Shell for it as the original is in a very sorry state, im Going to Reshell the full 850, engine has 72,000 miles on it, ive Got 12 months to have this car on the Road and im Pretty Clueless abot minis, ive been into E30 BMW's for the last few years,

What marque shell is the 74?? or will any mini shell do??? And is anybody selling a good one?? I Bought a 1980 1000cc mini for the shel but its wide arched and on 13' mini lites would be a shame to mess with it as its a lovely looking car

Thanks in advance Brian

woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Re: 1974 Mini 850

Post by woody »

'74 coulb be either Mk 3 or Mk4. The main differance being the tunnel from the cross member to the bulkhead. '74 saw a change from remote gearbox to rod change gearbox . Mk3 shell are sought after for building Cooper S Mk3 replicas and late '70s car were very bad for rust so the question is how bad is your car really.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
feens
NON Member

Post by feens »

woody wrote:'74 coulb be either Mk 3 or Mk4. The main differance being the tunnel from the cross member to the bulkhead. '74 saw a change from remote gearbox to rod change gearbox . Mk3 shell are sought after for building Cooper S Mk3 replicas and late '70s car were very bad for rust so the question is how bad is your car really.
Its Very Bad the floors came away with the carpets and the doors, wings boot floor, have all been taken over by the tin worm, Sill's are gone compleatly, its BAD.......... How would i know Whic mk it is what should i look for?? really wouldnt know the Difference by looking at the gearbox???
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

is the gear stick rubbur gater flat on the top of the tunnel or does it curve down from the top of the tunnel to the floor
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

Sean O'Hara has a very good shell that was stripped back to the metal and had all the rot cut out and repaired like new, it is in primer at the moment, it's a '76 shell and is an Irish built car, rather than repair the '74 , you could spend the money on a well sorted '76.

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
feens
NON Member

Post by feens »

The Marcos Graveyard wrote:Sean O'Hara has a very good shell that was stripped back to the metal and had all the rot cut out and repaired like new, it is in primer at the moment, it's a '76 shell and is an Irish built car, rather than repair the '74 , you could spend the money on a well sorted '76.
I Was in With him Awile Ago and wasnt selling anything ill Try him at the weekend, What sort money would he be looking at for the Shell do you think??? Would you be interested in Calling out to me some Weekend to have a look at my ones??? Could do with some knowledgable Advice :oops:
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
1984 Mini Sprite
Weber45

Yeah, I can call out some weekend.

I'd say you would be looking at somewhere in the 3-4K mark tbh, might be even more, it depends on what you are getting with the shell. I think it has a nice reg number, MIN **.

feens
NON Member

Post by feens »

The Marcos Graveyard wrote:Yeah, I can call out some weekend.

I'd say you would be looking at somewhere in the 3-4K mark tbh, might be even more, it depends on what you are getting with the shell. I think it has a nice reg number, MIN **.
Im Around this Weekend if it suits you to Call out?? im working tomorrow (Sat) and will be Heading back down to Waterford on sunday @ around 3pm, my mobile is 0868480390 Give me a Bell if your around Cheers, if not i should be back home next weekend 8)
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
1984 Mini Sprite
Weber45

I'll be at the New Years Lunch on Sunday, so it will have to be next weekend.

feens
NON Member

Post by feens »

Sound thats not a Problem ill be around anyway
Thanks Brian
feens
NON Member

Post by feens »

well Nial i was in With Sean o Hara yesterday looked at that 76 shell that he has, They dont get any cleaner really, Its perfect, some work gone into it, just 3k might be a bit steep for me at the moment, was looking at your clubman while i was there nice motor, im seriously concidering using my Green wide arched shell for the 74 project but something inside is telling me not to pull it apart :roll: Would you be around next weekend to mabey sway me in one direction or the other, really need to make my mind up and get the choc brown 74 up and running

Cheers Brian 8)