Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

bad bad lights....

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

just_st3v3n
NON Member
Whats your location?: cavan
Region: Northern
What Minis have you?: 1989 red mayfair aka project nancy
Modifications: Nancy is deseamed and will be getting some sort of modern engine someday

bad bad lights....

Post by just_st3v3n »

just as the subject title.
i got my new mini (racing flame) few weeks ago and the lights are uber crappy, i tried switching the lights from my other mini (they seemed brighter) but still no more light....
its quite dodgy on the roads at night, specially at long distance as i just rely on the cateyes along the road most of the time :roll:

anyway to the point, can anyone suggest or have lights that are not seam sealed and are suitable for a mini??
maybe even spots... but that involves electrickity :shock:

cheers

steven

keith
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dún Laoghaire, Dublin
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: '93 SPi cooper

Re: bad bad lights....

Post by keith »

while not recomending this shop in any way, i offer the link to show that better lights are available for your mini: in this case these units are nearly a straight replacement for your exising car... http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?ty=pb&pid=37818
check with your local motor factor too .. they may have halogen replacement units too, someplace in their old stock section!
i find good lights useful for spotting kamikaze unlit cyclists commuting home: your needs are no doubt greater!
GTM Coupe
NON Member

Post by GTM Coupe »

Replace the old sealed ligths with semi sealed units that take the H4 bulb, then you can replace the standard 55/65w bulbs with the new xenon bulbs 50% brighter with no need to change wiring. Simplest and easiest way to get good lights,

Also another thing to check is the headlight angle, sometimes the NCT/garages drop them too much and once they are raised a little the light effect is much better
joebe1
NON Member
Whats your location?: Carrick on shannon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1980 mini saloon (fip) 1275cc
1969 Clubman gt historic rally car, 1380 c/r s/c dog box, split 45 webbers
1980 irish clubman estate
1969 mk2 retro rally car 1293 s/c gearbox

Post by joebe1 »

steve check ur earths, if there dirty or makin a back connection the bulbs won t light up properly
just_st3v3n
NON Member
Whats your location?: cavan
Region: Northern
What Minis have you?: 1989 red mayfair aka project nancy
Modifications: Nancy is deseamed and will be getting some sort of modern engine someday

Post by just_st3v3n »

sound.
before i do anything im gonna check the earths...
whenever it stops raining.......................................... :roll:

cheers for replies guys
city998
NON Member

Post by city998 »

Best bet is to install relays so you don't have any significant voltage losses to the headlamps. You may find that the current lamps are perfectly adequate once you are running relays. I converted my Mini and couldn't believe the difference. I was actually getting smoke from the H-connectors to the lamps before putting in the relays. Now my wiring and switches will last longer too! :D
'90 Mini City - No More!
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

Cheak earth connections.cheak altenator( lights should brighten when you rev above idle) .Cheak direction (stand on front of one light and see were the other is pointing). Personaly I use 45/70 sealed beams from my local motorfactor.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR