Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

IMM 2008 - Ferries

This section is about Events hosted/attended by the Irish Mini Owners Club

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

zakgt
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Maynooth
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1962 - Morris Traveller MK1 - 1978 - 1275GT, 1998 - Sportspack

Re: IMM 2008 - Ferries

Post by zakgt »

Lads , - I have sent off my Tesco's points for vouchers for Irish Ferrries.

I am planning to book the faster ferry Dublin / Holyhead and then Hull / Rotterdam. The main advantage of the fast ferry is the extra few hours on the Tueday comming back. Should be able to stop at one of the Mini shops in the UK.

Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

Zak,

what time is that ferry? I'm always wary of the fast ferry. When I lived in Scotland and used to used the Stranraer-Belfast line, the damn thing wouldn't sail when there was a ripple on the water. Same when we were heading to IMM2002 in Scotland, the flipping thing was cancelled and we ended up on a freight boat. The ordinary ferry will slog away regardless of the weather.

Billy
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

For those who didn't pick up a copy of the IMM Ferry Information at the AGM, the proposed route is, that on the morning of the 8th of May we take the Irish Ferries 8:05am sailing from Dublin to Holyhead, this gets in at 11:30am. There is then a 350km drive to Hull where we will get the 9:00pm sailing to Rotterdam with P&O. Arrival in Rotterdam is 8:00am local time on the 9th of May. Leylstad is then a drive of 157km.

The IMM finishes at 12 noon on the Monday, the 12th, we can catch the night sailing from Rotterdam at 9;00pm which gets us back into Hull at 8:00am the following morning , the 13th. We could try to catch the 2:10pm sailing from Holyhead, but it will be less pressure if we aim for the Dublin Swift sailing at 5:15pm this should have you back in Dublin by 7:15pm.

The club has sorted the event bookings, now it is up to each individual crew going to sort their own ferry crossings. The above suggestion is just that, a suggestion, crews are at liberty to take whatever route they wish.

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

Sterling is at a very favourable rate for us. Today I booked the Hull-Rotterdam ferry via http://www.poferries.com. If you select the English (£) section instead of the Euro site, it definitely works out cheaper.

My Euro rate was working out at 432 Euros based on 2 adults and 2 kids. Using the sterling site it worked out at £315 which according to http://www.xe.com is 411 Euros, a saving of 21 Euros. The only problem is that for some reason (and KMG had the same problem), the site wouldn't accept my credit card so I rang the UK helpline which probably cost a few pound. Even so, I still got a cheaper rate so it's worth the bit of effort.

Now to send off the Tesco vouchers for the Irish Ferries part of the trip. The concensus among myself, TMG, Zak, and KMG is to go out on the slow ferry on May 8th and come back on the fast ferry on May 13th.

Looking forward to it already.

Billy
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

Just booked the Holyhead-Dublin Swift ferry home and using sterling, it worked out 15 Euros cheaper. I'll use the Tesco vouchers for the Dublin-Holyhead slow ferry as I haven't many vouchers anyway.
kerryminigringo
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Between an A series and a G13B
What Minis have you?: 61 van,68 MKII,
75 Clubman estate,
80 1275GT
91 RSP Cooper

Post by kerryminigringo »

With the tesco vouchers I will end up paying 4 euro on the holyhead crossing. :D
Real Clubmans have a square nose.Seriously.
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

Jammy git. :lol:

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

ye, but it cost him €10,000 in nappies!
zakgt
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Maynooth
What Minis have you?: 1962 - Morris Traveller MK1 - 1978 - 1275GT, 1998 - Sportspack

Post by zakgt »

Ferries booked for ZAKGT & Blackseven and Woody & Co. Just to note P&O stated that the ferries check-in closes at 19.30 for the 21.00 sailing, and previous experience has proven they mean it. Another fews hours already lost.
kerryminigringo
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Between an A series and a G13B
What Minis have you?: 61 van,68 MKII,
75 Clubman estate,
80 1275GT
91 RSP Cooper

Post by kerryminigringo »

The Irish Sea crossing ended up costing me 21 euro but I can live with that :lol: .All ferries booked,now just a few jobs to do to the car and the McGraths are ready.Thought I might leave the jobs on the car til the night before,why break a tradition now.
Real Clubmans have a square nose.Seriously.
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

Found something interesting beside the IMM.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviodrome# ... collection
By the way we will be camping near the runway.