Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Irish Built Mini History and Research

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

Yellosub
NON Member
Whats your location?: Ardpatrick, Co. Limerick
The base of the Ballyhoura Mountains!
Region: Southern
What Minis have you?: 1974 Mini Van of original Irish build
Modifications: Side glass install, but all the glass on the van is Shamrock glass.
1985 MG Metro 1275cc engine swap

Irish Built Mini History and Research

Post by Yellosub »

Does anyone know how to research original Irish built Mini's? My 1974 Van Car No plate and my original brown logbook match but the serial number doesn't seem to jive with UK serial number decoders. The whole van has Shamrock glass but I can't figure out how to decode anything like who built it, where it was built or what the original build specs were. Any help would be truly appreciated.

Car No: XA251-24513E
Austin Morris Group
British Leyland UK Ltd.

NeilRichmond
NON Member
Whats your location?: Mayo
Region: Western

Re: Irish Built Mini History and Research

Post by NeilRichmond »

There is not a lot of information, but it equates to

XA = The X is dismissed A denotes engine type 848 998 1275
251 = The 2 denotes 2 door saloon except Mk3 Cooper S and 1275
24513 = This is the car number starting from 101 onwards
E = Possibly means export

The information is very Vague. This is a totally different case with cars such as MGB, they list nearly every detail, including the plant it was built at.
I would say your car was put together at Britains in Dublin given it has Shamrock glass

Hope the information helps a little, I could be wrong, but this is the only information I could find. Later Minis have a bit more information with the VIN numbers
ctwomey
NON Member
Whats your location?: Ballybrittas, Co. Laois
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: I owned a 1978 Mini 850 when I was in my late teens. I owned a 1986 Mini Chelsea that I imported from the UK. Also owned a 1982 MG Metro that was bored out to 1293. Restoring a 1981 Dublin Mini City.

Post by ctwomey »

Is it possible that that the X-A251-24513E is in fact X-A2S1-24513E? where the first '5' is really an 'S'

This would make it a plate off a 69-74 MK3 Mini 850
NeilRichmond
NON Member

Post by NeilRichmond »

VIN, Third Position (“2S” in the above example):

= Body type

2S = 2-door saloon/sedan. (Except Mk III Copper S and 1275GT) Caution: bureaucratic bungles often interpret this as 25 (twenty-five)

2W = Estate (“2 Door Dual Purpose”)

D = 2 door saloon (Mk III Cooper S and 1275GT only)

U = Pick-up. Caution: U and V can be mistaken one for the other.

V = Panel van. Caution: U and V can be mistaken one for the other.
Yellosub
NON Member
Modifications: Side glass install, but all the glass on the van is Shamrock glass.

Post by Yellosub »

You all bring up good ideas. My problem is it is definitely a van with side windows added. PO also said the side windows were supposedly added in the 1980's. The side windows are shamrock glass also. I would agree that someone could have mistaken the 25 as 2S but it's still not a saloon. Shouldn't it be 2V? And what would the 1 designate?

""This would make it a plate off a 69-74 MK3 Mini 850."" That matches the brown logbook. It says 848cc rated at 87hp. Isn't 87hp kinda high?
For "Type or Model" the logbook says 10839.
Manufacturer says "Austin"
Type of Body says "Estate" but Description of Vehicle says "Mini Van"

I'm so confused! And where are you guys finding the decoding info for Irish built Mini's? I'd love to even have a vague source since the UK info doesn't seem to match up.
NeilRichmond
NON Member

Post by NeilRichmond »

With regards to Mini vans and estates

Way back in the late 60,s, if you bought a Mini van, without rear windows, you paid less tax in the UK on a new van, it was classed as commercial, not private use. If it had windows, you paid more tax on purchase, the normal going rate.

If you bought a Mini van from new with no windows, and you added rear windows, you were supposed to tell the revenue commission, and pay the appropriate tax because you have converted it.

Companies made seats and all sorts of conversions were available at the time.

If Britains in Dublin did not publish or store the information any way, and put into archive for later use, then that is that, not a lot you can do.

It could be some where, but where , who knows.
ctwomey
NON Member
Whats your location?: Ballybrittas, Co. Laois
What Minis have you?: I owned a 1978 Mini 850 when I was in my late teens. I owned a 1986 Mini Chelsea that I imported from the UK. Also owned a 1982 MG Metro that was bored out to 1293. Restoring a 1981 Dublin Mini City.

Post by ctwomey »

Yellosub wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:08 pm I'm so confused! And where are you guys finding the decoding info for Irish built Mini's? I'd love to even have a vague source since the UK info doesn't seem to match up.
I read somewhere that the VIN plates came with the CKD kits so don't think that we had our own VIN numbers.

The attached image below is where I got my info.
VINhistory.gif
Yellosub
NON Member

Post by Yellosub »

NRichmond: So just another British Window Tax. :roll: :lol:
Yellosub
NON Member

Post by Yellosub »

ctwomey: So a CKD(?) is basically a knock down kit for foreign assembly? I've seen those before on other makes including Belgium built Chevy Camaros. It would also explain the X in the serial number and the fact that the van came with holes for LHD and RHD windscreen wiper arms.

The same mistaken digit identification between "5" and "S" caused me many problems in California until I gained a good reputation with my local motor vehicle department. A major problem in America was also that some states registered vehicles off the production number on the serial number plate and some states used the engine number. Always great trying to register a vehicle 50 years later with a different engine or no engine to verify numbers!
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

All mini shells are RHD and LHD. As well as the wiper holes you have the pedal and master cylinder mounts. Thats why the clocks were in the center . Apart from some brake and clutch pipes all you need to convert an early mini is a steering rack and a pair of headlamps.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR