Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Average cost of a late 70s early 80s Original Irish Mini?

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

Briano1996
NON Member
Whats your location?: Kilnamanagh, Dublin 24
Region: Eastern

Average cost of a late 70s early 80s Original Irish Mini?

Post by Briano1996 »

Hey guys,

So I'm a long time lurker on this forum. I was just enquiring as to the average value of a late 70s or early 80s mini, I've been saving up money due to the lockdown. Of course my savings are going towards a Mini because it's my dream car however I do have a desire to own one with an Original Irish Reg, preferably a Dublin one but not essential.

Would any of you be able to have an answer for my question?

Thanks,
Brian

NeilRichmond
NON Member
Whats your location?: Mayo
Region: Western

Re: Average cost of a late 70s early 80s Original Irish Mini?

Post by NeilRichmond »

Hi Brian

Only just joined up after moving here to Co Mayo.
The answer I think is how well a Mini has been looked after and what someone may have spent towards the upkeep. There is not really any specific price - just what people are looking for. I have noticed people seem to put their own asking price regardless of a classic car guide price.
You can buy anything from a project - to something that has been well maintained and has had a good bit of money spent on it.
It really is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other as to what is on offer on the market.
Knowing what to look for regards mechanicals and body rot is key to obtaining a good example of Mini - at the correct price.
ctwomey
NON Member
Whats your location?: Ballybrittas, Co. Laois
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: I owned a 1978 Mini 850 when I was in my late teens. I owned a 1986 Mini Chelsea that I imported from the UK. Also owned a 1982 MG Metro that was bored out to 1293. Restoring a 1981 Dublin Mini City.

Re: Average cost of a late 70s early 80s Original Irish Mini?

Post by ctwomey »

Hi Brian

For a restoration, the amount of money you will spend on the car will be insignificant compared to how much you will spend on restoring it.

Rebuilding an engine just to clean it the costs will be low, but once you start machining, buying pistons, ancillaries, gearbox bearings, camshafts, cylinder work etc. You are running into the plus €1000.

For bodywork, welding, new panels, shot blasting, painting you are running into thousands.

Minis rust full stop so you need a garage to store it when not in use.

If you don’t have the time, tools, space then buying the best you can get would be the way to go. They are hard to find.

For an excellent non-resto I would expect to pay close to 8-10K. But then you can get lucky. The more genuine it is the more you pay.

Regards,
Conor