Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Stage one kit

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

mini74
NON Member
Whats your location?: Co Wicklow
Region: Eastern

Stage one kit

Post by mini74 »

Hi guys,
We are looking for some advice we have the mini work in progress again we have a 998 engine in it, we live in the wicklow hills and are we were thinking about getting a stage 1 kit for the car to get the power up in. Anyone have any advice?

ctwomey
NON Member
Whats your location?: Ballybrittas, Co. Laois
What Minis have you?: I owned a 1978 Mini 850 when I was in my late teens. I owned a 1986 Mini Chelsea that I imported from the UK. Also owned a 1982 MG Metro that was bored out to 1293. Restoring a 1981 Dublin Mini City.

Re: Stage one kit

Post by ctwomey »

I think getting the existing engine running correctly would be a good starting point.

Checking the air filter, spark plugs, ignition timing, fuel mixture, engine timing, compression etc. low cost stuff first.

Once you have a sound basis to start with then look at what would be considered the stage 1 stuff: better air filter, exhaust and inlet manifold etc.
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Re: Stage one kit

Post by woody »

It depends on what engine you are starting with . There are many different 998cc mini engins with different CR ,cams and final drive. If you don't know what you have put up the engine number.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR