Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

1970's Mini.

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

johnnyj
NON Member
Whats your location?: waterford
Region: Southern

1970's Mini.

Post by johnnyj »

Hi all, i am about to pickup a mini that needs work ( alot of it),
it is a mid to late 70's from what i can gather, a round nose, where should i look on those age cars to find the correct numbers to make sure it is what it is supposed to be. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, John.

purplehaze
NON Member
Whats your location?: Tallaght :p
What Minis have you?: 1980 clubman b16 vtec
1992 mini shell, getting turbo,d
1974 clubman estate
Modifications: original-ish pffffft ye rite

Re: 1970's Mini.

Post by purplehaze »

To the Best of my knowledge.

There will be a plate riveted to the inner wing with all numbers.....this shud match number on lip underneath the scuttle panel....if there is no number on scuttle panel......maybe check engine number and chassis plaque to logbook..... It's very easy to replace a scuttle and not get original stamping done

This is the problem with minis. Of all ages. U can weld in bits to make it identical to any year. Only way to be sure is the matching numbers under scuttle. If it's not there....you will have to go on your gut feeling.... 1970 minis to best of my mind have a double lip on roof guttering ' But!!! These can also be added to later cars. There are subtle differences

Different models have different things. When u go see the car. Google the model if numbers are not there.... unfortunately that's all I've got

Hope it helps
If it's bigger than a mini it's not a mini
johnnyj
NON Member

Post by johnnyj »

Thanks for the reply and yes it does help. I searched around the site and other sites to get a feeling for what years the different marks were available and the little differences in them and yes i know that it is easy to add bits in but the yoke im looking at isn't big money and it is what it appears to be, it's not like i'm paying big money for a 90's car with a 70's plate stuck to it which is seemingly all the rage . I would prefer to buy a an original car that needs work and at least that way i would know what i have. I'll see how it goes. Thanks again.
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

Older minis don't have a chassis number stamped onto the body. The number is generally on a plate riveted to the slam panel and easily replaced. What they do have is a body type number stamped on a rectangle sheet of metal spot welded to the body. This can give a rough indecation of age. If the car seems original you can check items like the dizzy or wiper motor which will carry a year stamp.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
johnnyj
NON Member

Post by johnnyj »

There is the vin plate with the chassis number and engine number on the slam panel as you say. Spot welded to the slam panel on the opposite side is a rectangular plate with an another number that i have not cleaned up yet to see what it says on it.