Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Electrics Help

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

Joe_flanagan
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dublin
Region: Eastern

Electrics Help

Post by Joe_flanagan »

Hi lads,

Just looking for some help diagnosing some electrical issues I am having. Its for a 1990 Mini. So for some reason my passenger side dipped beam isn't working and my reverse lights aren't working. I have replaced the bulbs and still no luck. I also replaced the dim-dip relay and the front light still won't working. All the fuses that are mounted behind the carb on the firewall look to be fine. The high beam works and so does the parking light its just the dipped beam that isn't. I disconnected the plug going to the back of the light and checked the voltages and was getting voltage from all expect one connection. Is it most likely corroded wires causing the issue or am I missing some other fuse that might be gone? And then I have no clue what is going on with the reverse lights. Could they be on the same fuse as the front passenger light?

Cheers for the help.

spicooper
Comittee Member
Whats your location?: Naas
Kildare
What Minis have you?: 1980 Mini Specical
1979 1000 Saloon
1994 spi cooper

Re: Electrics Help

Post by spicooper »

Hi if you take of the grill you will find a bunch of bullet connections just up under the bonnet release these can get corroded, they send power to the front dipped lights, full lights and indicators. The reverse light is either the fuse, the wires in the boot connecting to the reverse light or the reverse lights switch connections. The reverse light switch is screwed into the gear stick so you will have to get under the car and take a look from the side you cant miss the wires.
Joe_flanagan
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dublin

Post by Joe_flanagan »

Cheers for that. I'll try those over the weekend and see how it goes.

Thanks
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

There are no fuses on the headlights on a 1990 mini and if both lights are gone the problem will be between the dip switch and the bullet connectors (most likely) at the bonnet release.The reverse light is on a fuse behind the carb and also has several connectors along the way, two behind the heater , two under the car at the gear select and one at the wiper motor. If you can get to the two behind the heater just under the carpet and join them the light should come on, if it doesn't the problem is proberbly not under the car.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR