Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Project Lexi

This section is for Mini projects and restorations and also the place to show off your pride and joy.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

LIX_818
NON Member
Whats your location?: Carrick-on-Shannon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1981 saloon 'Lexi'

Project Lexi

Post by LIX_818 »

Hello All,
My name is Darragh. I'm a new member to the forum. Some of you may remember my Dad Peter McKenzie. He got out of the mini scene a few years ago but I've been wanting to buy and restore one for some time now. After a year of Dad telling me to bide my time and the right one will come up. Last Monday we went to look at this mini and on Thursday we picked it up. It is a black 1981 round nose mini. On First inspections it seems to be pretty solid. Floors need repairs and bits of bubbling around the scuttle and under the headlights. Usual spots where they go. I hope the picture loads below :roll: , you should be able to see we put it up on a flat bed lorry :D . It didn't start but Dad didn't seem too phased by this. The minute we got it off the trailer Dad was troubleshooting the problem. It wasn't getting spark. He led it back to the coil and we had an old coil lying about. After cleaning the spark plugs, adjusting the fuel at the carb, setting the timing right and bleeding the clutch the little 998cc engine was running smooth. we left it there for the night then. I'm in college at the moment and I'm off for the summer so I'm hoping to get the bulk of the work done before going back. Hoping to keep ye as up to date on the project as possible. Pardon my long speech I'll try leave them shorter next time :D
Attachments
IMG_4211[1].JPG

LIX_818
NON Member

Re: Project Lexi

Post by LIX_818 »

Lexi is under a tarp for the night until tomorrow, I'm going clearing the shed tomorrow. Let the fun begin. Hopefully we won't uncover to much rust :shock:
Attachments
IMG_4240[1].JPG
LIX_818
NON Member

Post by LIX_818 »

Well today unearthed a bit of rust. Ah I suppose it was to be expected out of a mini. I grinded back most of the scuttle due to the bubbling and found that it was pretty solid. I stripped out the rest of the interior and that is when the fun began. I took off the black and red part of the part and found a pretty big hole on the passengers side heater vent. The drivers side heater vent isn't too bad but surface rust from what I can see. So I decided to dig further, I took out the front windscreen and the passenger side corner scuttle isn't in great condition. The top rail for holding the dash is rotten as well. At least I have her in dry storage now. Here are a few photos of todays work and the rust I found today.
Attachments
IMG_4261[1].JPG
hole in the bonnet and the cross supports are falling off. Minifix has sorted me with one though
hole in the bonnet and the cross supports are falling off. Minifix has sorted me with one though
Just a small hole on top of the front panel
Just a small hole on top of the front panel
IMG_4270[1].JPG
Lexi enjoying her last day outside for awhile
Lexi enjoying her last day outside for awhile
LIX_818
NON Member

Post by LIX_818 »

Some of the rust I found
Attachments
Dad has the mini fever again. Could end up with another mini around the place lol
Dad has the mini fever again. Could end up with another mini around the place lol
IMG_4268[1].JPG
The rather large hole I found at the vent
The rather large hole I found at the vent
dayoungfella
NON Member
Whats your location?: Stepaside, Dublin
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: Mk1 Racer and Mk2 CKD

Post by dayoungfella »

Congrats on the purchase! Looks like you'll be kept busy!

What are your plans for it?
Neil
LIX_818
NON Member

Post by LIX_818 »

dayoungfella wrote:Congrats on the purchase! Looks like you'll be kept busy!

What are your plans for it?
Hello,

Thanks. It seems pretty straight and it runs well so I'm happy out.

Well I want to get it as rust free as possible. I will be dropping the subframes and rebuilting them putting in new pads, stone-chipping them etc. also gonna seal the hole bottom of the car, front and rear valance, bulk-head and arches. while the subframes is out I'm going to refresh the engine, clean it, paint and add a few shiny bits you know the usual carry on :lol: :lol: . With all the surface rust it's gonna need a full respray. Going to change the suspension also. Going to keep the wheels and arches I think. Going adding angel eye headlights and 4 angel eye spots. and a nice wee RC40 or twin pipe exhaust. I have a HIF44 carb in the shed so I may put that on. I have parts of 2 donor minis all labelled and put in boxes ready for this project so there is no shortage of parts.

The only thing I wouldn't have much of an idea of is the wiring. Which seems to be an absolute mess in this mini. The headlights don't work and it isn't the switch because I found there was no power coming to the switch. It isn't the bulbs cause I can flash the headlights from the lever. Lots of tracing back wires I'm afraid.

Thanks for your reply. Hoping to get to know a few more. I'll be at IMM so I'm sure I'll see your mini about. Might need to some help or tips in the future when I really get dug in.

Darragh,
dayoungfella
NON Member
Whats your location?: Stepaside, Dublin
What Minis have you?: Mk1 Racer and Mk2 CKD

Post by dayoungfella »

Good stuff, at least you've got your priorities right with getting the bodywork sorted first!

Yes, come say hi at IMM. Just look out for a red van with Granby Motor Sport written across it!
Neil
LIX_818
NON Member

Post by LIX_818 »

dayoungfella wrote:Good stuff, at least you've got your priorities right with getting the bodywork sorted first!

Yes, come say hi at IMM. Just look out for a red van with Granby Motor Sport written across it!
Will do man, see ya then 8)
LIX_818
NON Member

Post by LIX_818 »

I decided to start some welding on the mini as it had to begin at some stage so why not start now. I started with what i'd call an inner cill some may say it the rear floor pan I'm not going to get political about it. Anywhom I cut out the patch and the outer cill had surface rust was solid so I put on rust preventative and a zinc prime before welding on my patch. Considering it's my first time I think it went ok? I'll let you guys judge and if you have any tips feel free to share them :D . anyway enough talking i'll let the pictures do the talking.
Attachments
IMG_4283[1].JPG
IMG_4281[1].JPG
IMG_4276[1].JPG
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

Rather than welding spots, you should try and weld along the joint, seam weld.
It looks like the car had oversills fitted before , the question is did they remove the old rusted sill or just put the the new sill over the old one?
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
LIX_818
NON Member

Post by LIX_818 »

woody wrote:Rather than welding spots, you should try and weld along the joint, seam weld.
It looks like the car had oversills fitted before , the question is did they remove the old rusted sill or just put the the new sill over the old one?
Hi Woody,
Thanks for your reply and tips. In relation to the seam welds I haven't quite mastered that. Due to the simple fact that it burns through everytime. It is probably just my settings on the welder I need to change #newbie

About the sill. I'm unsure to be honest. Further inspection will be required. When you say "over sill" do you mean they put a sill over the outer sill or inner ?

Darragh,
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

You should practice some welding off the car first.
Over sills are wider than the standard sill and some people do a quick fix by welding over a rusty holed sill rather than remove the original one.
http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... o%20search
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
LIX_818
NON Member

Post by LIX_818 »

woody wrote:You should practice some welding off the car first.
Over sills are wider than the standard sill and some people do a quick fix by welding over a rusty holed sill rather than remove the original one.
http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... o%20search
Ya I will definitely have to practice my seam welds off the car.

I have more to be doing along the sills. Think il replace the outer sills for piece of mind and see what lurks underneath
LIX_818
NON Member

Post by LIX_818 »

Well so far today I've been digging out rust and undoing mistakes from a previous owner/ whoever patched it last. I've made a small list of panels I need.

-scuttle
-inner scuttle passengers side
-upper dash rail
-front floor pan on drivers side
- 2 outer sills
- possibly 2 wings if I'm replacing the whole scuttle

Anyone got any tips on matching panels when welding so they match well?

Thanks Darragh,
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
LIX_818
NON Member

Post by LIX_818 »

so that's 2 quarter panel repairs to add to the list of panels
Attachments
IMG_4300[1].JPG
LIX_818
NON Member

Post by LIX_818 »

Hi Guys,

sorry for a lack of updates the past few days. I've College exams Monday and Tuesday. I'll be cracking on Wednesday with a few bits but not a pile to be at until I get panels and other parts.

Darragh
LIX_818
NON Member

Post by LIX_818 »

I finished exams today so full steam ahead with the mini. I took off the bootlid today and grinded back the bubbling on the skin. As seen below they're the holes in it. Don't know whether to re-skin it or patch it. It isn't bad like.

Opinions??
Attachments
IMG_4361[1].JPG
IMG_4360[1].JPG
LIX_818
NON Member

Post by LIX_818 »

Anybody know a good guy at refurbising alloys?

Thanks Darragh
Dan S
NON Member
Whats your location?: Galway and Ennis, Ireland
What Minis have you?: 2003 Mini Cooper S

Post by Dan S »

LIX_818 wrote:Anybody know a good guy at refurbising alloys?

Thanks Darragh
Radfix in Galway did mine, they'll take your tyres off and refit them too. I think it was €75/wheel. Sandblasted and powder coated.
LIX_818
NON Member

Post by LIX_818 »

Dan S wrote:
LIX_818 wrote:Anybody know a good guy at refurbising alloys?

Thanks Darragh
Radfix in Galway did mine, they'll take your tyres off and refit them too. I think it was €75/wheel. Sandblasted and powder coated.
Thanks man, I might try them
LIX_818
NON Member

Post by LIX_818 »

Hi guys,

This is my last update til after the IMM. Dad and I dropped the front subframe and engine. We aren't looking forward to putting them back in but that is a long way off yet.

Anyway see ye at the IMM :D
Attachments
IMG_4408[1].JPG
IMG_4409[1].JPG
IMG_4410[1].JPG
LIX_818
NON Member

Post by LIX_818 »

What a day!!

I got off work at 4am last night and headed straight for Westport. Got up the next morning and was really looking forward to getting in and having a look around and buying a few bits. It didn't fail to impress. I bought a good few bits for Lexi and seeing all those minis really gave me motivation to get Lexi on the road looking spick and span. Here is a pic of most of the bits I got:
Attachments
IMG_4448[1].JPG
LIX_818
NON Member

Post by LIX_818 »

Todays work:

We dropped the back subframe today and repairs began.

I welded in a new battery box and put a new plate on the back of the rear valance. As you can see I need to patch up the arch as well.

Ran out of sheet metal so had to finish up for the evening. I cant wait to get this welding done it's a pure pain in the bottom :(
Attachments
IMG_4500[1].JPG
IMG_4501[1].JPG
IMG_4491[1].JPG
IMG_4490[1].JPG
LIX_818
NON Member

Post by LIX_818 »

More welding.....

Patched up the arch and cut out the otherside of the rear valance and welded in a new bit. few pics below...
Attachments
IMG_4509[1].JPG
IMG_4511[1].JPG
IMG_4512[1].JPG
IMG_4516[1].JPG
LIX_818
NON Member

Post by LIX_818 »

Today's update

I did a couple repairs on the rear subframe but I only took one picture sorry. I'll take other Monday.
I also welded up a couple holes in the engine bay, I welded up a vent I have no use for now as well. Once again I forgot the pictures but I've still a few.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg