Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Engine Removal

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

williamt
NON Member
Whats your location?: Leitrim
Region: Western

Engine Removal

Post by williamt »

Have A Mini 998cc 1980.. Whats the fastest way to Remove Engine and what needs to be taken off to remove.. Ie Manifold carb etc.. do you need to remove wheel hubs or can shafts be separated at the gearbox by shifting engine to one side and using a prybar.. also want to test the engine as planning on using it in something else.. everything is a mess in car its currently in so anyone know the values a healthy unit would reach on a compression test per cylinder..

Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Re: Engine Removal

Post by Billy »

William,

Best advice is to get yourself a Haynes manual, ideally the light blue one as the last dark blue one wasn't as detailed. The steps to removal are shown in photos.
williamt
NON Member

Post by williamt »

Thanks for that , Billy . I have one here alright and there is a section on it..I was Just looking to see if anyone had tips for me.. to Make things go easier or Quicker lol..
kerryminigringo
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Between an A series and a G13B
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 61 van,68 MKII,
75 Clubman estate,
80 1275GT
91 RSP Cooper

Post by kerryminigringo »

Remove the rad,alternator and manifold along with the exhaust.If you split the top ball joint you can pop the pot joint out but drain the oil first.You can leave the speedo cable connected until the engine is up a bit and then undo it when you have the room.You need to undo the gearchange,I forget which gear position is best to tap the roll spring out but a bit of trial and error will find this out.As Billy said the Haynes manual is good for this.
Real Clubmans have a square nose.Seriously.
macker
NON Member
Whats your location?: THE FRIDGE
Region: Aboard
What Minis have you?: 110bhp 1968 mkII
Modifications: NEW Custom flakey paint

Post by macker »

I think it's reverse for drifting out the pin, take off the distributor (cover at least) as they have a habit of knocking off the front panel and getting broken
ImageImageImage
williamt
NON Member

Post by williamt »

I Managed to remove quite quickly lads.. I Had the dark Blue Haynes restoration Manual removed Manifold- alternator- dizzy cap and Radiator gave me room to shift engine over...

Managed to split Shafts from box by turning wheel and shifting engine to one side whilst lifting it up..... Handy.. Thanks for the help.. This engine is all oily on rear and I Want to test... Car it was in was a mess everything Disconnected so I Didnt bother trying to put all back Together.. SO. Wondering what would ye Do Lads..

Compression test?

Set up fuel to carb and try to start? if so What all would i need to do it.. is it worth the hassle?

and whats the common oil leak areas.. im thinking the inspection plates on rear of engine?

Appreciate any Advice lads
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

Main source of oil leaks on any mini engine are the gear select and half shaft oil seals which you will do very easy now with engine out. The inspection plates and rocker cover would be next. While you have the engine out it would be worth changing the timing chain so you would do the gasket and oil seal there also.
The two main test for an engine are compression and oil pressure .You will need to run the engine hot for a true oil pressure test. All the engine needs to run is 12volts to the coil but I would also like to see temperature and revs so I made up a small rig with gauges and starter solinoid .
One test you can do on the deck is push the crank pully in and out to check the thrust washers.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
williamt
NON Member

Post by williamt »

Thanks I Will Keep all that in Mind
williamt
NON Member

Post by williamt »

I tested the engine for compression on the ground.. im getting 165- 170- 170 and 180 across the cylinders.. first cyl seems a bit weak but as long as its above 150 should be healthy enough???? within 10% of the others so should be ok?? What Do Ye Think lads in line with Values youve gotten on a 998cc engine before?
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

Values seem ok. The engine number will tell you if its a high or low compression engine.A leakdown test gives a better indication if its rings , inlet or exhaust valve that may be leaking.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
williamt
NON Member

Post by williamt »

Think its High as it has a H in it.
Think ill Clean it up and do seals and Chance it.. Not Sure id get much Better Secondhand anywhere.. Thanks for Help
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

99H means its a 1 ltr Transverse engine. If you post up the whole code we can decode it for you
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
williamt
NON Member

Post by williamt »

99h d80 . is that the whole code? got that off small plate on block
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

Looks like you have a good one there.
High compression 11.7:1 . proberbly flat top pistons.
Final drive 3.1

This engine would improve noticably with a stage one kit and even more with the right head and HIF 38 or 40 carb.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
williamt
NON Member

Post by williamt »

So you think the compression values are ok?.. Yes I Have another Mini with A+ 998cc high compression Engine I was Told And its Fantastic.. SoI Pulled the 1275 out of an Allegro Had Mervin Johnston Rebore Rebuild and port with loads of upgrades.. So Just Going To Put this 998 I Had Lying in a Parts Car into the Allegro.. should be Grand Job