Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Engine Rebuild Problems..

Welcome to the Techinical of the IMOC.

The Irish Mini Owners Club and its officers provide this service as a service to its members and Mini enthusiasts in good faith and do not endorse or confirm any detail or claim pertaining to items posted by individuals using this forum.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, admin, woody, Moderators

knock.mini
NON Member
Whats your location?: Knocknagoshel, North Kerry
Region: Southern
What Minis have you?: 1983 Mini

Engine Rebuild Problems..

Post by knock.mini »

Well! So heres the story.. 1275cc engine.. sat outside a long while.. got it on the chaep.. head gasket gone.. full of water.. slight surface rust in the cylinders... Rebuild!
So what i want to know is since there is surface rust on the cylinder will i have to bore it out?.. or would just cleaning it do the job? if i was going to bore it out can you buy 1293 cc pistons?.. I checked and you can only buy kind of half a 1293 engine itself which costs a fortune...
Any ideas??
Very much appreciated! Dont have much experience building engines so any advice atall is great!

Mini Mad!
DOUGAL
Comittee Member

Re: Engine Rebuild Problems..

Post by DOUGAL »

Would suggest u bring the block to a machine shop that does engine re bores / hones for their advice ( whether a clean up or re bore ) .
Yes you can buy 1293 pistons as a set . Mini spares part no P2151-20 or 2153-20 .
DOUGAL
knock.mini
NON Member
Whats your location?: Knocknagoshel, North Kerry
Region: Southern
What Minis have you?: 1983 Mini

Re: Engine Rebuild Problems..

Post by knock.mini »

DOUGAL wrote:Would suggest u bring the block to a machine shop that does engine re bores / hones for their advice ( whether a clean up or re bore ) .
Yes you can buy 1293 pistons as a set . Mini spares part no P2151-20 or 2153-20 .
Thanks a million Dougal! Much appreciated!
Mini Mad!