Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Early 60's Mk1 Irish assembled cars

This section is for Mini projects and restorations and also the place to show off your pride and joy.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

Austinmk11963irl
NON Member
Whats your location?: Galway
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: Austin Mini Mk1

Early 60's Mk1 Irish assembled cars

Post by Austinmk11963irl »

Hi, is there anyone here that might own an early 60's Mk1 Saloon?

I am in the process of restoring an early 60's Irish assembled Austin Min1 (1963) and I am trying to identify the Body Colour, i.e Tweed grey or Cumulus Grey etc etc. I have looked at all the various Colour Charts on the Internet and conclude that its probably Yukon Grey or Tweed Grey. I understand with the english cars that the body colour or code could have been stamped in potentially one of several different places from the front panel to the floor and several other places.

Does anyone know where one might look on an early 60's car for the body colour stamp/pressing, i.e does anyone have a full list of the places on the body the code might have been stamped or pressed?

Also, was this done on Irish cars also and was the location the same?

Thanks,

Brian

I have images of the colour but they are not jpeg and i am unable to load them here as it says the file extension is not allowed, i can e mail them to anyone who might be able to upload them

woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Re: Early 60's Mk1 Irish assembled cars

Post by woody »

Hi Brian
To the best of my knowlodge minis didn't have any paint codes on the bodies untill the '80's when it was added to the vin plate. You may have to go to British heritage for a heritage cert for the car if anybody can confirm that they cover Irish assembled cars.
If you go to the For Sale section of this forum you will find details on how to upload photos.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
kerryminigringo
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Between an A series and a G13B
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 61 van,68 MKII,
75 Clubman estate,
80 1275GT
91 RSP Cooper

Post by kerryminigringo »

Hi Brian,the Irish built Minis had paint codes specific to them as the paint was made by ICI Ireland at the time and although it looks like an English colour it may not be the same and to the best of my knowledge the paint codes along with production records were lost.The best thing to do is to polish up a part of the car that you can take to a paint shop like Vinny Byrnes in Dublin that has a paint spectrophotometer that can accurately match the paint and mix it as well.I did the same with my 61 CKD van when I removed the old door skin and took it to get matched.A heritage cert for a CKD will only give you the bare minimum information like when it was shipped as they have no idea if it ended up as a Morris or Austin or even what engine size was fitted let alone the spec which would have be recorded for UK built cars.
Real Clubmans have a square nose.Seriously.
Austinmk11963irl
NON Member
Whats your location?: Galway
Region: Western

Post by Austinmk11963irl »

Thanks for the replies guys, yes I think we will get the paint matched as best we can, have a good painter so hope that wont be an issue.
minimate
NON Member
Standard
848cc
Modifications: None

Post by minimate »

Can I resurrect this thread please? KMG - you mentioned that, as far as you know, paint codes and production records were lost. Any idea who held these records? Aside from Brittain and Lincoln & Nolan, I presume ICI, Lancegaye and the retails dealers spread across the country kept records too. Have any of these survived or still exist in private hands? Thanks for any info.