Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

MTM 2016 Date announcement.

This section is about Events hosted/attended by the Irish Mini Owners Club

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

kerryminigringo
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Between an A series and a G13B
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 61 van,68 MKII,
75 Clubman estate,
80 1275GT
91 RSP Cooper

MTM 2016 Date announcement.

Post by kerryminigringo »

I know people need to book holidays and get Minis sorted so just to let you know we are holding MTM 2016 on Friday the 31st Sept/Saturday 1st of October.It is a bit of a departure from normal but all the organisers are heading to Belgium for the IMM and the last time we held it with an IMM in May it pushed MTM into June where we found it hard to get hotels so this time we are going for late September.Another change from recent MTM's is that this will be open to Minis/MINIS of all ages.It will be a North to South route this year and we will be follow last years model with a sign in on Friday afternoon in Donegal and head up to Malin and then back to Sligo with Saturday heading for Mizen and staying in West Cork on Saturday night.Hotels have been block booked so no need to panic and we will be taking bookings as soon as we get back from IMM 2016 in Belgium.

Real Clubmans have a square nose.Seriously.
purplehaze
NON Member
Whats your location?: Tallaght :p
Region: Southern
What Minis have you?: 1980 clubman b16 vtec
1992 mini shell, getting turbo,d
1974 clubman estate
Modifications: original-ish pffffft ye rite

Re: MTM 2016 Date announcement.

Post by purplehaze »

I think il give it a miss so, I thought the mtm was a reliability run? I understand demand for more people to join the site and runs but I was under the assumption this was a classic mini site and not a bini site, in my own opinion I think this will deter people from it this year and also the date, too close to Christmas for me and kiddo only back to school so, just having my say
If it's bigger than a mini it's not a mini
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

Newer members may not know this but over the years MTM has varied between mini only and all minis/binis and was even sponsored by BMW on occasions. Although a driver of both mini and bini I have always prefaired the mini only option as it is a reliabillity run. However with the first binis now 15 years old reliabillity isn't what it was and also it makes them more affordable to young drivers who can't get insurance on classics so it would be nice to give these members a chance to partake every few years. I hope the inclusion of binis at the Irish IMM'17 doesn't mean your going to miss that great event.

As far as this site/club is concerned we have always been a mini/bini club . At several AGMs over the years the matter has been
discused and even voted on and inclusion binis has always won. If you wish to raise the subject again the AGM is on the 13th March.

No one date is going to suit everybody but with the efforts involved with IMM this year and next it makes sence to move MTM back in the year.

Maybe you should try the IMM this year instead.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
spud1979
Comittee Member
Whats your location?: wexford
What Minis have you?: 1961 Morris Mini mk1
1961 Morris Irish Van
1969 Austin Mini irish mk2
1973 Clubman estate
1980 Clubman GT

Post by spud1979 »

Makes sense with so many of us travelling to the imm this year to represent the club for 2017.
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

Purplehaze, you should seriously consider this year's IMM in Belgium. The mileage is about the same as an MTM i.e. 430 miles each way from the ferry and there will be 1000+ Minis from all over Europe, many of whom we want to make the return trip to Ireland next year. The costs aren't too bad if you bring a couple of lads with you & throw the tents & sleeping bags into a roofbox.

Billy
Scoobasteve7
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: West Cork
Region: Southern
What Minis have you?: 1983 Mini City E

Post by Scoobasteve7 »

Is there a plan to run the cars in separate groups as obviously the majority of binis I imagine will have more grunt than the classic minis?

The proposed date also clashes with the cork 20 rally too, so people could be attending that too and added traffic around cork in general . I know no date ever suits everyone, but just making sure the organisers are aware.
joebe1
NON Member
Whats your location?: Carrick on shannon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1980 mini saloon (fip) 1275cc
1969 Clubman gt historic rally car, 1380 c/r s/c dog box, split 45 webbers
1980 irish clubman estate
1969 mk2 retro rally car 1293 s/c gearbox

Post by joebe1 »

Hi Guys

Great to get all the feedback in relation to the event. There is no doubt this is the highlight event for so many of the members and this year I m sure will not disappoint. As I m sure you can imagine, the organizing team face a huge challenge coordinating the event as it covers so many miles across the country. One of the biggest challenges is to arrange accommodation that is of good standard for all the participants of the event. In recent years, some places that were chosen were of poor standard due mainly to the remoteness of the locations and the amount of extra driving and mileage that would have to be put on drivers to reach somewhere of better quality hotels.

MTM has always been and always will be a reliability run. Covering nearly 1000 miles over the weekend, regardless of whether it is done over one day or a weekend, the car still has to make it. It has been observed over the last number of years, that the logistics of getting the cars to the finish line roughly at the same time has been very difficult. The breakdown crew following at the rear of the event don`t arrive at the finish until the last car does, and for that reason, crews don`t arrive to the hotel until sometimes 12 at night. From someone who has had to change a head gasket on MTM on the side of the road, having the event ran over 2 days driving allows for people to repair cars over night, rather that finishing on the back of a trailer, not to mention the huge social element that has been introduced because of the overnight stay.

In relation to the event being open to BMW Minis, the club has always been open to the cars taking part in club events and the same with MTM. Concerns have been raised in the past about the difference in power over the two cars. Everyone needs to be aware, that MTM is NOT a speed event. 50 Miles and hour in a classic mini and in a new mini is the same thing. I am very confident, that the level of professionalism and the standard of organisation that has been displayed at the event in the last number of years, will easily and comprehensively deal with any speed related issues on the event, and will very successfully incorporate the new mini so that all participants on the event will have a fantastic time.

Personally, I am very much looking forward to the event, and will look forward to meeting you all there.

Kind regards

Joe Whyte
IMOC President