Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

2k Paint

Welcome to the Techinical of the IMOC.

The Irish Mini Owners Club and its officers provide this service as a service to its members and Mini enthusiasts in good faith and do not endorse or confirm any detail or claim pertaining to items posted by individuals using this forum.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, admin, woody, Moderators

bevan
NON Member

2k Paint

Post by bevan »

Any painters on here by any chance? I am looking for a few questions answered

I don't want mythering my panel beater again as he is probably sick of me asking him questions.

He had been leaning me towards 2 pack although personally I would prefer the laquer finish of water based. I think a lot of it is he is trying to cut the final cost in extra labour he will need to put in to a water based finish. Which is fair enough, and I won't be looking a concourse show finish just a nice gloss and depth of paint.

I mentioned to my father in law the other day I was having trouble getting a paint code in the shade I wanted in 2k, as he used to be a refinisher for a manufacturing company that used 2 pack, and I wanted to know where he used to buy his. He took me up the wrong way and thought I wanted him to get the paint and has ordered 4 litres in the wrong shade it's way too dark.

I don't want to ruin a paintjob for the sake of a couple of hundred quids worth of paint, so will bin it if needs be but had thought of tinting it down. This leaves me though in the situation that if I ever need to do re touches it's a non standard colour. Is it possible still to have 2 pack scanned and colour matched or is this a water based process only.

Also if I do return the paint to the supplier to mix and tint it back lighter, can I be sure that it will be an even colour when painted. The car is a surprise for my wife to be and I wanted it to be a baby or powder pink with a old english white roof The colour my father in law ordered is like a barbie cerise pink so would need to be heavily tinted back if possible..

woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Re: 2k Paint

Post by woody »

Does your panel beater have an oven? When they changed over to water based paints the big issue for small garages was that they would need an oven to get a proper finish, not as critical with 2k paint. If you get all the paint you have tinted the same you should have enough for future touch ups as opposed to another full respray where you can order what you want.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
bevan
NON Member

Post by bevan »

He has an oven and is set for both paint systems, but he was really tending to push me towards 2 pack. I don't mind going 2 pack as I know his over all finish is good and 2 pack stood the test of time since cellulose but I thought water based might give a deeper shine because it needs to be lacqered a few times, he has painted a lot of cars for me before with touch up's blow in's or bumpers etc that stood the test of time but I have never had him do a full re paint. I have seen re paints he has done and the quality of finish is good, no fish eyes micro blisters, runs or high spots that I can see. I suppose the prep work is 90% of the job anyway and his prep always looks to be good.

Fresh paint is always going to look good so if I didn't know him my worry would be how it will settle in. I trust him so when he said to paint it 2 pack to cut cost and time I said fine. It's going to be a flat colour no metallic or added effects to the base. I did wonder about asking him to over laquer the 2 pack also for an even glossier finish.

I am hoping the dark colour will tint down to the right shade. The car is down to a bare shell now so will be painted entirely inside outside and underneath.
rmc123
NON Member
Whats your location?: Kildare
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1975 VTEC round nose
1976 Mini Clubman

Post by rmc123 »

I got my car fully resprayed a couple of years ago in 2K, with some over the leftover I got Vinny Byrne , Kylemore Road, Dublin to put It into 2K spray cans. The only problem with the cans is that once the hardner is release into the paint it has to be used withing 1-2 days. The rest of the paint I put in a sealed tub which 2 years later is still fine to use.
bevan
NON Member

Post by bevan »

Found out that paint is not only referenced by manufacturer code but also by catalogue numbers such as RAL and British standard, having dug through online site http://www.e-paint.co.uk/ I narrowed down the colours to a few RAL numbers and went and got them mixed into paint repair kits in believe it or not Halford's as it's the cheapest place to mix small quantities.