Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Pink mini project

This section is for Mini projects and restorations and also the place to show off your pride and joy.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

bevan
NON Member

Re: Intro to me and my secret project with a 5 month deadlin

Post by bevan »

So the Wedding has come and gone, we had a fantastic day, and thoroughly enjoyed it but the Mini just didn't make it. Not anyone's fault but it just wasn't to be, all the parts were ordered and in place but time wasn't on our side.

So with Honeymoon etc taken, the Mini is back on the agenda again, really another week or so should see it finished. Probably it could have been ready with a lot of rushing but I have a lot of money put into it at this stage, and for the sake of a few weeks decided to let things go at the normal pace to make sure everything is done properly and to the best standard it can be.

So to re-cap, the shell has had

New wings, scuttle panel and closing panels, new front panel, new bonnet, 2 new inner and outer sills, new door closing panels, and 2 new door skins, new door bottom bottom repair section, rear valance and inner closing panels, new hinge panels

Welded repairs to the quarter panels with new metal grafted in, repairs to a small spot on the floor, and a battery box. The shell is totally down to the metal including roof lining etc.

New knuckles, track rods, bearings, radius arm inners, hi lo kit, new shocks, new brake lines from master cylinder back, including caliper hoses, new brake cylinders, drums, shoes, pads, discs, calipers have been rebuilt and fresh seals and brake pistons, new handbrake cables, new master cylinder, new trunions, poly subframe mount kits and new bolts for front and rear, new CV joints. . Probably other bits I have forgotten. Basically the bulk of the underside is brand new and or re-conditioned,

Engine wise the bottom end is staying original. The oil pump, water pump, duplex is new, the head gasket is fresh, head was given a mild skim and clean, and all ignition system, leads, distributor points, coil etc are new. Uprated to a HIF44 meant to be new old stock it looked as new anyway with a water cooled inlet manifold, and a maniflow exhaust with an rc40 centre and back box. Have a metro turbo clutch and lightened minispares flywheel gone into it as well and to dress it up new rubber hoses, stainless rocker cover and T bars and coil cover. The loom was in tatters so I stumped up for a brand new dim dip loom also. I got a really good condition second hand rad and had it cleaned and checked also.

Trim wise, it has all new brightwork, grille, window seals and rubbers and inner trim, roof gutter trim, skinny arches and stainless over arches bumpers front and rear, door and boot handle, number plate light, pop out chrome trim rear windows, brand new B/L old stock rear lights, door escutcheons, bullet style mirrors, and I might put on a set of original 60's clip on overtaking mirrors.

Interior I have new door cards trimmed up in cream leather, new biscuit colour carpet set, second hand cream vinyl re covered seats, 3 clock dash from another mini I had, the Nardi wheel above, aluminum pedal set and an old style Morris gear knob the doors are built up with new runners, and seals and new hinges and all new check straps, bolts washers etc.

My timehop threw up the cars twin I bid on and didn't win a year ago in Japan

bevan
NON Member

Post by bevan »

I might get adjustable arms in time to come.

And that's where we are up too. I have had probably 125 plus cars myself over the years, but have never had a car rebuilt from the bottom up so I have gotten a little obsessive with having everything right on this as it's for my wife so the original budget has gone out the window in some cases I probably wasted money but at least I know it will be right for her.

When the wallet recovers a little I will get some roller rockers, maybe a cam for it also and import a set of SSR or similar wheels from Japan.

I have a new battery obviously but the original altenator so I'm wondering how many speakers I can get away with running as I want to buy her a radio for it soon. Not looking for a huge pumping sound system but I have a few spare amplifiers and sub woofers here that I could put in the boot maybe?
bevan
NON Member

Post by bevan »

Seen as it's no longer a secret and we are way over 5 months would one of the admin mind changing the title if they spot this.

I suppose to something like Pink Mini Project etc?
macker
NON Member
Whats your location?: THE FRIDGE
Region: Aboard
What Minis have you?: 110bhp 1968 mkII
Modifications: NEW Custom flakey paint

Post by macker »

bevan wrote:Seen as it's no longer a secret and we are way over 5 months would one of the admin mind changing the title if they spot this.

I suppose to something like Pink Mini Project etc?

Done :D
ImageImageImage
bevan
NON Member

Re: Pink mini project

Post by bevan »

Cool thanks very much..

Friend has a container leaving Japan in 3 weeks so going to try pick up some unusual wheels for this in the next couple of weeks
bevan
NON Member

Post by bevan »

Getting closer now

Only a few bits to pick up now, a boss for the steering wheel, head unit and speakers and cabling and a new battery. I only spotted when the car was painted I got the wrong wings and have side repeaters but too late now to weld them up.
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

Nice shade of pink and off white, not too Barbie girl.Looking good
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
bevan
NON Member

Post by bevan »

Thanks that's what I had hoped for, was trying to go more classy than tacky looking for her. The roof isn't actually old english white it's a Vw colour from the old 21 window vans, as it was a more creamy white. It might be a little too off white but can always be painted a more bright white in time to come.
Benny
NON Member
Whats your location?: Louth
What Minis have you?: '88 Austin Mini

Post by Benny »

Very unusual colour. I like it.
bevan
NON Member

Post by bevan »

So a few delays along the way, and a new baby on the way meant the mini was sidelined for a while, but it's back on track now and should be finished by next week.

The shell is now in the process of being built back up, since those pictures, the paint has been cut back and buffed a few times. The flywheel was literally welded and after breaking two pullers trying to free it Chris had to resort to the oxy torch. The engine is now freshened up with a cleaned up head and new oil and water pump, flywheel, clutch, thermostat and the block and box repainted.
Benny
NON Member
Whats your location?: Louth
What Minis have you?: '88 Austin Mini

Post by Benny »

Looks deadly. Never seen that colour on a mini before. Very quirky.
bevan
NON Member

Post by bevan »

The mini rose was white with a pink roof, it had a slightly darker version of this colour. Not my thing but it's not for me the other half loves it. Have to keep resisting temptation to buy nice bits for it like adjustable arms and coilovers
bevan
NON Member

Post by bevan »

Lot more progress on the last visit almost at the finish line now. Can't praise Chris in WMR enough the work and time he has put into this car could never be paid for.

Nice to see all the new bits go on, it's the small bits like new nuts and bolts and screws, and all new rubbers and grommets that make a huge difference.

bevan
NON Member

Post by bevan »

As an aside the pop out windows were taken off the donor pink car and have the UK reg from it etched in. Other than re-etching does any one know if this can be removed?? It's the sort of thing that will set my OCD off.
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

I think you may have a problem with your rear brakes. In the photo the trailing edge should be at the top left and bottom right. It may be the photo but your shoes don't appear to have a trailing edge. Zakgt came to me recently with a braking problem and I found he had fitted shoes without any trailing edge and they couldn't be adjusted right, changing the shoes solved the problem.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
bevan
NON Member

Post by bevan »

Thanks, will have a look tomorrow and check that, the shoes are new possibly just the pictures but will do no harm to check and make sure rather than head scratch at a later stage :)