Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Pink mini project

This section is for Mini projects and restorations and also the place to show off your pride and joy.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

bevan
NON Member

Pink mini project

Post by bevan »

Hi All,

New to the forum, I know how everyone likes to see a few pictures so I will add plenty below to show my story. I will be looking for PLENTY of help and advice in the next five months so please do feel free to point out any thing I over look or need to do

I am getting married in September, ten years ago or so when I first met my fiancee, for Valentines 04 or 05 I can't remember to be honest, I bought her a mini on ebay. We have all been in that position, late at night you see a listing, think it looks good ignore the scant description and the ten feet away pictures. This is it on the ebay listing

Looked pretty solid to me, a wee bit on the quarter should be fine I thought. Bearing in mind I had a few mini's before and should have known what they hide and I was buying and selling cars all the time at that point

So on went the bid Booked the flights sight unseen and two days later got the mail auction ended you won..

So off we headed two very excited very Naive 20 year olds, over to Brentwood in Essex. I wasn't all that wet behind the ears or green, but I must have had clouded judgement that day. When we arrived you could say the car was a pile of :censored:

Having a very excited girlfriend, an unhelpful (insert lying sellers parents) and no seller in sight when we arrived and no chance of getting back my deposit I ploughed on and bought it. Straight away I knew it needed massive amounts of welding, but In my head I thought ok scrap the shell save the rest move on.

The car was bears arse rough, rotten in all the wrong places but it did drive and had a few weeks MOT and tax, so off we set for Pembroke. When we arrived home and I had a proper look over the car it was as bad or worse than I expected.

You haven't seen the gutter rails, the inner arches, floor pans, inner sills, subframe or rear strut tops but you get the picture. This thing had spent time sitting in a tidal estuary.

So life got in the way and it sat in my shed with other abandoned projects (at that stage I was importing a lot of cars from Japan, and was drawn away by big power and easy valet and sell on jobs) but my other half always pined for her mini.

So fast forward four or five years and I took a mad notion and bought a good original Irish shell, proper old brown paper log book one old lady owner, it even had tins of fruit in the companion cards dated 1991.

Now the whole thing was set to go, I bought any panels the red shell needed, a lot of interior stuff about a grands worth of parts and started stripping it. This was 2007 I had a good job, car imports and sales as a sideline things were good. Two weeks later I got laid off

So no big deal that happens, I started a new job, we got our house, etc but the Mini was well forgotten.

Now to this year so with a wedding rolling round, I am back selling cars again have a bit of savings, etc and my wife to be still cries over her lost mini, every car show we attend or every mini she see's on the road.

I decided to sideline a few grand and do the Mini. Problem 1 she know's both Minis are in my parents yard (we have a farm at home so loads of space to store all my "scrap" as they see it) but I can't remove either Pink or red shell un-noticed.

Insert the latest iteration,

I bought this last week, it's solid in the right places, but does need welding but has a 1275 and drives well with low miles and looks to have been well loved.

So with the panels I already have, a raid on mini spares and my credit card and a few secret trips to collect parts this week to Minifix and home for panels, I gathered bits like the seats below

I now have more panels than needed but I want it done right and to last

Panel wise I have

2x Sills
2x Inner Sills
2 x Wings
2 x A panels
Front panel
Scuttle panel and inner corners
Rear valance
Door skins
Door frame repair sections
Door A post R/HS

A lot of which was bought for the pink or red shell but will be used if needed on the blue (the red I may use myself in the future) I also have a few hundred quid worth of assorted screws, nuts, bolts, washers, gaskets, seals, rubbers, trims and badges, all new brightwork including handles hinges, wipers mirrors inner door furniture, I have a new carpet set in cream which will be a nightmare to keep clean..

The car is off to a well known Mini restorer Waterford Mini restoration for the welding works and will then be back to my panel beater for a full inside and out re spray in a light pink with an old English white roof

I have been haunting yahoo Japan lately after James in Minifix put it in my head about Jap wheels on a Mini as I can buy parts from Japan and have almost decided on a nice set of 12 inch SSR mesh but they are hard to find so may settle for star formula. I was actually tempted to just import a mini but the fact I would have had to respray anyway the timeline was too tight, I literally just decided to do this two weeks ago.

Wheel choice is a bit away

So if i can afford it It will be finished and done top to bottom in the one go. Subframes will come out, new brake lines, new fittings etc and it will be a top down resto.

Engine wise it needs a clutch so naturally I bought a lightweight flywheels as well as you do, then I thought sure buy a stage 1 kit. Now I started thinking suspension needs an over haul so the list grows...

So if you stuck with me through probably the longest intro ever thanks for reading this far. September 24th is D day and the car needs to be painted, NCT, taxed and road worthy by then what I thought would be a 2=3 grand project has already stretched to 5k and I expect it to grow. A lot being down to me buying parts that I could do without but to be honest I want to do it once and do it right

DaveC
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Dublin
Region: Eastern

Re: Intro to me and my secret project with a 5 month deadlin

Post by DaveC »

Great story, hope it all goes well.
Keep us posted with any updates.
CB_Phil
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Dublin,
What Minis have you?: 1275 MkIII
Modifications: Few bits

Post by CB_Phil »

Welcome to the forum, keep the updates coming
Wills21
NON Member

Post by Wills21 »

Best of luck with it! She'll be absolutely thrilled to get it I'm sure!
bevan
NON Member

Post by bevan »

Thanks lads, the first lot of panels arrives tomorrow. Spent a grand on it last week before it 's even been touched so the final bill is probably going to give me night sweats :P
kerryminigringo
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Between an A series and a G13B
What Minis have you?: 61 van,68 MKII,
75 Clubman estate,
80 1275GT
91 RSP Cooper

Post by kerryminigringo »

Great intro and the way to budget a Mini restoration is to add up all the costs and then double it and you should be close to the final figure. :D
Real Clubmans have a square nose.Seriously.
coolmini
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Claremorris
Mayo
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: none right now
Modifications: sold that one, looking for a new project

Post by coolmini »

and i thought mine was bad lol
best of luck with resto.
Benny
NON Member
Whats your location?: Louth
What Minis have you?: '88 Austin Mini

Post by Benny »

best of luck with the project. Keep us posted.
bevan
NON Member

Post by bevan »

Days off have been hard to get lately so I haven't gotten the car down to Waterford yet to start the welding, but I did get the panels on Friday so the first big delivery has landed.

I also got a price on a nice set of RS Watanabes from Japan I think I might go for also. Herself won't have any clue what wheels are on it so really I would more be buying them for me :P
bevan
NON Member

Post by bevan »

Ok so the car is coming on nicely welding is well underway, it's been stripped to a shell and I have left nearly 2k with mini spares in the last few weeks, as I decided to do it right first time, and am refreshing all mounts, bushings, bearings and full brake system as well as engine work

The engine has only 44,000 genuine miles on it, but had been overheated at some point going by the rusty water marks around the rad, so Chris in waterford mini restorations who is tackling all the welding ( 110% can't recommend him enough great to deal with) is now going to take on the rebuild after paint as well as freshening the engine.

I have ordered up new chain, water pump, oil pump, head gasket seat, plugs, leads, points, thermostat and radiator hoses and a new radiator, clutch, lightweight flywheel and the stage 1 kit. I also picked up a HIF44 with what looks like a water pypass or water cooled manifold?

The biggest problem I am having is finding a paint code for the colour I want to paint the car something like THIS COLOUR No pictures as yet but maybe next week
bevan
NON Member

Post by bevan »

Busy few weeks, the welding is pretty much done, I found the colour code, I will be using eventually, also after a long hibernation dug these two out of the shed.

Probably going for the Pale pink in the middle 02c code, with an old english white roof and cooper stripes

My VTS track car in the background with it's lovely rattle can paintjob might be for sale as well, fast road newman phase 1 Cam, Ramair induction kit, 4 branch manifold, uprated clutch and flywheel, sakspeed short shift linkages and a probably more spec I forget offers around €800 would take it and another complete VTS i had for spares. Laps Mondello in and around 1min 05 on the national so it's a quick little car

This arrives from Japan next week and will soon be for sale to fund the rest of the Mini project

Benny
NON Member

Post by Benny »

The twincam is really nice. I don't mean to be nosey but is there much money to be made in importing cars nowadays?
bevan
NON Member

Post by bevan »

Your not being nosey at all Its a genuine question. Yes and no, it depends on what you buy twincams are getting really dear in Japan and the value isn't in them but I have had a.lot of them and like them so keep bringing them In. I have been importing since 2002 so have brought in a lot of various cars over the years as in 70 plus things went very slow but the last two years have been good.

The margins are smaller these days but no one would be at it for charity so the odd turn is still in it. I am only dabbling now maybe 5 cars a year. My mate and I used to do it full time our old business evolved into his new company jdmauctionwatch

I am threatening to bring in a mini van or clubman next
Benny
NON Member

Post by Benny »

bevan wrote:Your not being nosey at all Its a genuine question. Yes and no, it depends on what you buy twincams are getting really dear in Japan and the value isn't in them but I have had a.lot of them and like them so keep bringing them In. I have been importing since 2002 so have brought in a lot of various cars over the years as in 70 plus things went very slow but the last two years have been good.

The margins are smaller these days but no one would be at it for charity so the odd turn is still in it. I am only dabbling now maybe 5 cars a year. My mate and I used to do it full time our old business evolved into his new company jdmauctionwatch

I am threatening to bring in a mini van or clubman next
Oh yeah I have heard of jdmauctionwatch alright. Cool stuff. It's always good to see some interesting cars coming onto Irish soil. Fair play lad.
bevan
NON Member

Disaster

Post by bevan »

So the cat is out of the bag so to speak, so if one of the Admin want to change the thread title to plain old Pink Mini project. I was chatting with one of my mates the other night and the phone in my arse pocket somehow unlocked and called my last dialled number the other half. Who started listening to our conversation about Pink mini's.

Won't be a total surprise to her but at least the finished product will be, so last night we went down to Chris in Waterford Mini Restorations, who has been brilliant with the whole thing. Chris has it stripped and it's a lot more solid than I first thought the underside is exceptionally good. We are probably looking another week until paint.

I picked up a lightened flywheel the other night and a nice hif44 with bigger needle, I might also buy a set of 1.5 roller rockers and I had a stage 1 kit already bought, the original loom is spliced and cut to doodoo so we will bite the bullet and pick up a new one to keep everything right and looking tidy.
bevan
NON Member

Picking the paint

Post by bevan »

So picking the paint, well seen as the other half now knows about the car, it was only sensible to show her some options on paint. I had made the mistake of mentioning to my Father in law I was looking for a supplier of 2k paint and as he lived in Athlone would he check with Vinny Byrne what paint chips for pink he had to view.

So the next day I got a call from him to tell me he bought 5 litres of pink paint for me. Needless to say I am 300 odd quid out and the paint was five shades too dark. I picked that up off him last week, and knew straight away it was beyond salvage as it would lighten down kind of purple pink. Oh well we will write that one off unless any one wants 5 litres of Barbie pink cheap.

So after scouring the internet and annoying a lot of motor factors, I discovered you can mix paint to any RAL or British standard paint reference number. I also discovered that you can convert a hex code from Photoshop to LAB Values which can be used to mix colour.

So my mate is good with photoshop and as it was him that suggested converting Hex codes, I asked him to roughly mock up colours which took him all of 10 seconds per colour for every hex code I picked using http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_colorpicker.asp

So after a bit of googling I found this site http://www.e-paint.co.uk/colours_includ ... %20fan.jpg

So with a lot of RAL and BS codes to try, I hit on the idea to make up some touch up pens for all the different colours until the right shade came out. The only place local to me that does this is actually Halfords and the guy in the paint mix desk was really helpful. We mixed about 18 colours and paid only for the ones I wanted to keep and it came to under 20 quid.

What we think we have settled on is British Standard 02C33 Candy pink which is a British Leyland colour. Incidentally the Mini rose limited edition paint code is also used by land rover if any one has every seen a pink defender? and is British Standard 889 Rose Pink

So the original Mini has this love heart on the roof, and herself wants the new one to have the same so if any one knows some good sign writers or graphic designers that can print Vinyl please do let me know.
bevan
NON Member

Post by bevan »

Haven't updated this at all lately but I will have a big picture update soon. It's almost done. It's by no means a cheque book build but I bought WAY!!! more than I originally envisioned for it, so it should be finished to a really nice standard.

My mate is in Japan for the next few weeks and I have him on the hunt for a nice set of SSR's or Rays volk racing or something similar for it and a Nardi or Personal steering wheel and other small bits.

He is going try visit a few mini shops whilst he is over there.

http://www.turtle-trading.co.jp/

http://www.mini-delta.co.jp/index.html

http://www.alecmini.co.jp/

Looking into getting 4x100 or 4x114 converted too 4x101.6 to allow more styles nothing nice in upgarage or yahoo at the moment in 101.6

http://ord.yahoo.co.jp/o/auction/list/_ ... x417556090

http://ord.yahoo.co.jp/o/auction/list/_ ... n155002862

http://ord.yahoo.co.jp/o/auction/list/_ ... m133224876
bevan
NON Member

Post by bevan »

These are way outdated as progress has moved well on but here is a few of it

williamt
NON Member
Whats your location?: Leitrim

Post by williamt »

Hey, Bevan Great Story Love to see it done... Hope all Goes well... And pressume from the intro you are The guy i bought the Timing belt kit for celica from... nice to see Guys with a broad interest in cars not just 1 model... have to keep these old girls on the road... and by the way... a new shell is 5k so a full rebuild at 5k if you have all done you plan .. is still good value... store it well and you will always have it... best of luck...
bevan
NON Member

Post by bevan »

Thats me yep, small world. I haven't had a Gt4 in a while but i do love them. My mate has a 165, 185 and 205 in his collection. I love all marques my daily at the minute is a mk4 golf gti 1.8t my weekend car is an Impreza Sti type Ra.

I have a grà on me for a mini for myself again now. The 5k mark is long been and gone but it will have all new brakes, suspension and a freshened up engine with a few nice add on's.

The shell got a lot of new panels and should be pretty good for years to come. Getting tight for time now the wedding is 2 weeks away so hoping it will be done on time.
williamt
NON Member
Whats your location?: Leitrim

Post by williamt »

Good on ya Bevan... I hope all goes to plan... Best of Luck and enjoy your big day
bevan
NON Member

Post by bevan »

Small Update mate sent me a picture of this momo he picked up for me today for the Mini, he also has a Nardi and a personal wheel got for me.

Does anyone know what the story is with boss kits for mini's?

Thanks William getting very tight now for time.

Louis
NON Member

Post by Louis »

Interesting to read your story, wish you good luck :)
Kenneth Murphy
NON Member
Whats your location?: knockbine
tullycanna
ballymitty
co. wexford.
What Minis have you?: 1972 pick up
1979 leyland
88 designer

Post by Kenneth Murphy »

Did you get a boss kit sorted bevan? If not get Darren (canno) to bring you down here I have one if your stuck, alternatively you can just get them on ebay.
................................FOUNDER OF HILLBILLY ENGINEERING.................................
FROM THIS TO THISImage
bevan
NON Member

Post by bevan »

That's 100% I will be on to you in the next week or so, sorry only getting back to this now..