Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

1980 Clubman Estate

This section is for Mini projects and restorations and also the place to show off your pride and joy.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

peterk19
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dublin
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: Clubman Estate

1980 Clubman Estate

Post by peterk19 »

Just picked up a 1980 Clubman estate to work on for the summer

No major plans for it clean the body work nice wheels and a 1275 engine and hopefully make it a daily driver if i can get some van panels ill turn it into a van and panel the inside,

Drove it home engine didn't feel great but that's fine I plan on getting a 1275 (if anyone has one for sale let me know) also the mounts and steady's will need replacing engine moves on braking and acceleration and the 1098 engine has some mayo in the rocker cover,

Electrically it'll need a bit of tidying new battery is loosing charge when off so that will need investigating bad earth hopefully and a few small bits lights and wiring,

Body wise it'll need a bit of work lifted carpet and front floor pans and a new seat cross member rubber bung was missing and caused the damage so that's the first job

The interior isn't too bad new carpet and a good clean and the rear seats may need a bit of work if i keep them in it and speedo isn't working so have a look at that too

Ill order the floor panels first and work from there

D.M.G.T
NON Member
Whats your location?: Lismoy
Newtownforbes
Region: Western

Re: 1980 Clubman Estate

Post by D.M.G.T »

Cracking mini you got there!!! im kicking myself now!!! but hey marriage comes first so they say!! :D Looks good
peterk19
NON Member

Post by peterk19 »

Cheers mate I love it I see it was yours previously, i just need to get the body solid i hope to have it brand new once im finished I have all the panels in for it new floors, lower quarter panels A panels might do the wings and rebuild the engine, just need to get a good sized compressor and a spit rig for it so i can get started then plan to have it for life once finished all going to plan it will be ready for summer
peterk19
NON Member

Post by peterk19 »

Stripped the interior and started the rear subframe over the weekend which revealed a bit more rust so basically going to need to replace the fuel tank and a large portion of the boot floor replace the rear valance and patch up some filled points on the quarter panels just to bring it back to all metal and the rear doors the driver side will need a reskin on the lower part the passenger side is rotten from the top so that may need replacing, the front isn't much better turns out the engine code on the block is a 998 rather than the expected 1098 and there is some rust in the usual places but those panel (a panel and wings were getting replaced anyway) also the doors will get a reskin while I'm at it and replace all windows seals too
peterk19
NON Member

Post by peterk19 »

again sorry for the slow progress been preocupied with the other mini any had trevor from reactive welding over today he gave it a good once over and told me what he can fix and what will need panels anyway he can repair the rear door and reskin the lower doors also fix a small hole in the spare tyre well, then he cut the drivers side floor out turns out there was 3 of them on top of each other all full of holes and a couple of sills too we made the decision to brace it up and trevor to take the doors with him while we wait on 2 new sills to arrive meanwhile im rebuilding the rear subframe now just need mini spares to hurry up
peterk19
NON Member

Post by peterk19 »

Been a long time since I updated this but life got in the way any bit of an update all welding was done new rear valance fitted lower quarter repair panels both sides, new doors, door steps repair, new sills, new front wings and front panel repairs, rear boot repairs wheel arch repairs, rear doors both repaired, van panels fitted,fully seam sealed, fully resprayed Pageant Blue inside coated with Upol Raptor bed liner and mid assembly at the moment and also getting little problems fixed, parts replaced and wet sanding and polishing the paint, anyway some pictures which is why people read these threads

D.M.G.T
NON Member
Whats your location?: Lismoy
Newtownforbes
Region: Western

Post by D.M.G.T »

looks nice..can I buy it back now? :D