Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Valerie the 1990 Mini City

This section is for Mini projects and restorations and also the place to show off your pride and joy.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

RichyB
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dun Laoghaire
Region: Eastern

Valerie the 1990 Mini City

Post by RichyB »

Hi there, I've started restoring my Mini City 998 after owning it for 2 years. The car itself isn't in bad shape so I'm hoping to get it back in great condition before it deteriorates further.

Originally an English car, I bought it down in Clare. It was quite rough when I first got it, running rough and needed a service and a few new bits and pieces. We brought it back up to Dublin on a trailer just be safe..

Since then, it's joined our family of Minis and I've had great fun with it.

A short video that my brother and I made of the Minis in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UNbiE421T4

I've had lots of help from the forum and it's members and through working on it and constantly fixing it myself, I'm confident I'm ready for a restoration.

So, after making some space in the garage, I began stripping it.

Seeing as I'll be taking the subframes out either way, I decided to try lifting the body off method.. Worked out well!

With the engine out, I found several large cracks in the front subframe.. Probably what was causing my chronic engine rock problem. Will try and weld the cracks and see what happens.

I built a crude engine transporter for getting it out of the garage and cleaned.. Ended up with an A-series go kart! :lol:

The engine had what looks like 23 years worth of oil and dirt built up on it.. Found that the rear cover plates had been leaking badly, so new gaskets needed for them. Made good use of some Gunk and gave the engine a clean.

Next up is to clean and paint the front subframe.

The overall plan is to rebuild the engine (125,000 miles.... :shock: ) and get the gearbox sorted, synchros are gone.. There is rust to be dealt with too, although not nearly as much as I had initially thought. Main areas are the front floors and sills.

In terms of upgrades, I have a 12G295 head to go on and planning on putting in a SW5 cam. The engine currently has a Minispeed alloy inlet manifold, LCB and stainless RC40 system behind that, rebuilt HIF38 carb and a K&N filter. An upgraded suspension system is on my shopping list as well, currently I have new cones, HiLos and KYB Gas adjust shocks. I'd like to have new fully adjustable suspension and get it set up right.

I'm working on this most of the time so I will hopefully be able to update fairly often. Thanks for reading!

Rich

DaveC
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Dublin

Re: Valerie the 1990 Mini City

Post by DaveC »

Well done Rich, keep us updated on progress
andrew.1990.rover
NON Member
Whats your location?: Cabinteely
Dublin 18

Post by andrew.1990.rover »

looks lovely man.
family of mini addicts there expect great things.
RichyB
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dun Laoghaire

Post by RichyB »

Thanks lads!

Getting bits and pieces done when I get the time. Got the engine back into the garage and the head off

Cleaned up the 12G295 head, still needs new valve guides and seats though.

Finally got one side of the subframe disassembled. The ball joints wouldn't come off taper for some unknown reason, any ideas? Couldn't get the lower arm off either, the bush had joined to the needle, but the blowtorch sorted that out!

Serious cracks in the subframe... Terminal? Or weldable?

Got a bit more exploratory rust hunting done too.

Hope to get more done this week, hopefully will be able to get more bodywork done.