Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Sir Gawain

This section is for Mini projects and restorations and also the place to show off your pride and joy.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

Merlin
NON Member
What Minis have you?: Mk1 Austin Mini,Mk3 Layland Mini,72Van,81 Clubman Estate, 87 Race carand a 2000 Rover Cooper.
Modifications: Mk1: 998 with flat top slipper pistons, 286 cam, 12G940 head 11:1 compression twin inch and a half SU's 5 speed gearbox. Mk3 998 automatic no mods, 72Van is a pile of rust, , Racer is being built but has the works and the 2000 rover cooper needs an engine again :(

Sir Gawain

Post by Merlin »

Well where do I start.
Gawain is a 2000 Rover cooper which I bought Feb last year from Mark of Mini Resource a very nice example with possable one of the best late Rover bodys I have ever seen.I did MTM in him and enjoyed my self very much I also did National Mini Day in him, Unfortunately his Rover built engine was'nt in nearly as good nick as his body so I had a very long debate with my self as to what to do with him, I could rebuildthe engine back to std and drive it for another miles or elce build a red hot street monster as I allredy had a super little automatic for pottering and an other mark4 shell with an undesided fate I desided to bite the bullet and build a PROPPER engine for the guy. Now all the late Rover minis have fuel injection with alot of complications which I did no want so I got rid of that, I built a 1380 short motor from a early A+ block which I drilled and fitted the Cooper S 11 stud conversion to, I then aquired a very nice Cooper S big valve head which I bolted a Weber 45 DCOE to as well as a maniflow LCB 2 box system, I have also built my own Distributorless ignition system for the car and retained the front mounted rad and high mounte alt from the mpi. The car is very tractable and smoth It has an estmated hource power in the late ninties early hundreds it has a solide torque curves and tick's over very well. Well enuf talk here is some pic as it elvolved.
First day I got him

start of the new engine

dry block with some mods

shine new 5 speed gear box

test fit of the new motor

first run with the new motor

kerryminigringo
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Between an A series and a G13B
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 61 van,68 MKII,
75 Clubman estate,
80 1275GT
91 RSP Cooper

Re: Sir Gawain

Post by kerryminigringo »

Super looking motor Paul,better get the waxoyl out to keep the body looking that good.Rover where not too hot on the rustproofing either.
Real Clubmans have a square nose.Seriously.
Merlin
NON Member
What Minis have you?: Mk1 Austin Mini,Mk3 Layland Mini,72Van,81 Clubman Estate, 87 Race carand a 2000 Rover Cooper.
Modifications: Mk1: 998 with flat top slipper pistons, 286 cam, 12G940 head 11:1 compression twin inch and a half SU's 5 speed gearbox. Mk3 998 automatic no mods, 72Van is a pile of rust, , Racer is being built but has the works and the 2000 rover cooper needs an engine again :(

Post by Merlin »

good thinking but Im wat ahead of you he botom is totalyed waxoiled and the inside is painted with forte pb60 a kind of zink paint.
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

Begod Paul, you're handier than a small pot!

Well done,

Billy