Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

1981 Mini City 1000

This section is for Mini projects and restorations and also the place to show off your pride and joy.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

ctwomey
NON Member
Whats your location?: Ballybrittas, Co. Laois
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: I owned a 1978 Mini 850 when I was in my late teens. I owned a 1986 Mini Chelsea that I imported from the UK. Also owned a 1982 MG Metro that was bored out to 1293. Restoring a 1981 Dublin Mini City.

Re: 1981 Mini City 1000

Post by ctwomey »

Tacked in the floor patch panel against the tunnel.

I have also tacked the side that will be butt welded

M-machine panel didn't fit against the inner sill so I have made a relief cut and will put an additional patch in later.

The flute in the M-machine panel is narrower than the original one so I have put in cuts that allows the flute to widen and reshape to the original floor.

Plug welds have gone really well using a 6.5mm hole and a 3mm hole in the back of the other panel

It's a day's work to get it this far, but if you rush it, it will not come out well.

colinf1
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dundalk
What Minis have you?: 1983 Mini City 1000

Post by colinf1 »

What's the thinking behind the 3mm hole on the lower panel? Seems like it would blow through fairly quickly, quicker than if it was just the 6.8mm hole on one side?

I was less technical with matching the flutes on the repair panels lol, bashed them into shape with hammer and dolly...
ctwomey
NON Member
What Minis have you?: I owned a 1978 Mini 850 when I was in my late teens. I owned a 1986 Mini Chelsea that I imported from the UK. Also owned a 1982 MG Metro that was bored out to 1293. Restoring a 1981 Dublin Mini City.

Post by ctwomey »

Hi Colin,

The 3mm hole was used with the Cleco clips that I used to align the panel. It helped to always put the panel back into the same spot when doing all the measuring and cutting. I just drilled out one side to 6.5mm for the plug weld. If you use your normal thin sheet welding settings then you won't blow through the hole.
colinf1
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dundalk
What Minis have you?: 1983 Mini City 1000

Post by colinf1 »

Ah I see now, I thought it was to ensure full penetration!
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

I was wondering the same thing about the holes. Personally I'm a hammer and dolly man myself, you'd be amazed what you can achieve with a bit of practice
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
ctwomey
NON Member

Post by ctwomey »

Started welding up the tacked floor panel this evening

Always easy to blend a butt weld when it's on an outside curve

Finished up just after the first inside flute this evening

A splash of etch primer to keep it clean until I get to body prep

I think I am going to run out of gas soon so will need to order another bottle of MIG gas