Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

1983 Mini City

This section is for Mini projects and restorations and also the place to show off your pride and joy.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

colinf1
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dundalk
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1983 Mini City 1000

Re: 1983 Mini City

Post by colinf1 »

Hi Conor,

Thanks but I have one coming from Minispares, hopefully today!

I had one on these one prior to swapping the rocker assembly, that seemed to be in perfect condition when the head was lifted off.,,

But looking back on it now, I could have saved myself some hassle by sliding the rocker shaft to the radiator side while in situ to gain access to the damaged arm. But you live and learn.

colinf1
NON Member

Post by colinf1 »

Head back from getting skimmed..

I've got ARP ultra torque lube, some VHT copper gasket cement spray, new studs amd nuts and Victor reinz gasket, now to find time to do it...
colinf1
NON Member

Post by colinf1 »

All reassembled, so hopefully that's it sorted now.

One thing I noticed when the carb was out, the jet didn't seem to want to come up fully and the choke/wax stat would stick fully down and not snap back. I've adjusted it all as best I can and seems to be running ok. Not sure why it would be sticking as it had the full rebuild kit...

Put the black grille on for a change, bit tight on the passenger side trim and bonnet could be adjusted upwards.
I then took it to a local tractor run. Seemed to drive fine, maybe needs fuel tweaking, but no sign of any overheating even though it was a very warm day.

colinf1
NON Member

Post by colinf1 »

One of the studs from the new kit from minispares ....

Don't know how that passed quality control, once it was screwed in, it was about 5mm out of line from lining up with the stud hole on the head.

Also it only came with 5x of the same length front studs, so had to relocate the coil onto the flywheel housing..
colinf1
NON Member

Post by colinf1 »

Second version of the 3d printed number plate digits,

colinf1
NON Member

Post by colinf1 »

A few smallish jobs this evening, checked spark plugs to determine fuel mixture, a bit whitish so enriched the mixture slightly.

Adjusted the bonnet pin, it was pulling the bonnet too far downwards, so backed it off a few turns, much better alignment along the inside of the wing.
colinf1
NON Member

Post by colinf1 »

Went to a local vintage car and tractor run today, not a bad turn out and weather kinda held out, just a slight shower.

Car seems to be running good, engine temp nice and steady just on N.
I've a very slight knock when releasing the clutch to pull off, tried to rock the engine by hand but it seems to be as steady as a rock. I did notice that the inner poly bush on the top engine steady had started to crack, need to see if I have a replacement in my spares box.

Next big run is on the 4th August to Hillsborough for the Mourne Mini Club annual show, so that will be a 160km round trip.
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

Personally on the engine steady I like to fit one poly and one rubber.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
colinf1
NON Member

Post by colinf1 »

An almost fault free 150km trip. The only issue was a slight splutter/misfire about 20kms from home, only lasted a second or so then all back running fine.

Now it needs a good clean and polish, ready for Mourne Mini clubs annual show at Hillsborough Castle & Gardens.
colinf1
NON Member

Post by colinf1 »

At the Mourne Mini Club Annual show at Hillsborough Castle and Gardens yesterday, about 170kms in total, all pretty faultless. Mini was packed to the hills with picnic, chairs, blankets and enough stuff to keep 2 toddlers occupied.
Rain put a dampener on proceedings, closing in shortly before 2pm and remaining constant for the rest of the outing.

Next up is the Causeway coast mini meeting in Portrush on 1st September, about 200kms there so that's a weekend away.
colinf1
NON Member

Post by colinf1 »

Dropped the exhaust off today, had a bit of a blow at the joints, so put some gun gum on it and refitted it. It was hard to get it to start, cranking over but not firing, checked connections at coil then it started immediately.

Took it out for a spin for ice cream this evening, loaded up the wife and kids and set off. Came to a junction to turn onto a minor road and lost power on the approach, thankfully there was a small housing estate just off the road that I managed to free wheel to. Cranked and cranked again and not firing, checked plugs to see if I had flooded it, all dry. Disconnected and reconnected the wires to coil and it started up straight away.

I think I'm going to run a new ignition feed wire to the coil, the ends had new connectors a few weeks ago but the wire inside was a bit corroded looking. I've a new electronic dizzy to go in, but need a 0.8ohms coil for that, so that's the next job on the list.

At least I got my ice cream and an uneventful journey back home!
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

Probably doesn't need a new wire run just a bad connection at one point. With the engine running move the loom about a small bit at a time until the engine cuts out . You should narrow it down quick enough.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
colinf1
NON Member

Post by colinf1 »

On the "Dash o the O'rish" run Bushmills to Portrush this evening.

Was late kicking off so most of the run was at dusk, with the last leg back to accommodation in darkness, the 1st time driving it at night...low beams bit of light, high beam a bit of light in the distance...I hate to see what the standard sealed beam lights are like!
colinf1
NON Member

Post by colinf1 »

A snap of the mini at the show yesterday. Around 250 classic minis at the show in all and rain held off until today.

Total distance traveled was about 425km (264miles) at roughly 45mpg (6.2L/100) which was pretty good. Car had zero issues the entire weekend, we done the last leg of the journey home of 1hr 45min in a continuous stint, took a while to loosen up my stiff back once pulled up at my house!
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

Looking good and its great your getting to enjoy it. What headlights are you using?
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
colinf1
NON Member

Post by colinf1 »

Thanks Woody, hopefully get a few more runs out in it before the weather turns.

Using Wipac H4 Quadoptic from minispares.

Singing its praises all day, then cut out on the way home from work, both wires (ballast and 12v) connectors broke off when I pulled them off, where they had been crimped.

Thankfully wasn't too far from work that one of the service lads could bring me a few new connections. New ones on but still no start, then unplugged and replugged the wire from dizzy to alternator and it fired up.

I need to upgrade my in-car tool bag to have some wiring connectors, plus the cap came off my bottle of 3 in 1 oil, soaked the bottom of the bag and some other stuff in the boot!
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

I can't remember exactly what I use in mine but I think there Phillips something like these
https://www.philips.ie/c-p/12342RGTS2/r ... light-bulb
. Wouldn't be a mini without some sort of oil leak.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
colinf1
NON Member

Post by colinf1 »

Swapped out a few connectors around the coil and distributor, the one from dizzy to alternator only took a twist to come off, so that must have been the issue.

I need to swap out the passenger door striker plate, one tapped hole won't tighten so door keeps coming out of alignment. Should have a good spare one that will need cleaning and painting.
colinf1
NON Member

Post by colinf1 »

Had a local vintage show on today, thought I'd pull the car onto drive and give it a quick wash.

Would start, but only stay running for a couple of seconds. Wouldn't restart. Wiggled a few wire, still wouldn't start. Checked the wires for voltage with multimeter, was only getting 5v from the ballast on key on, getting 12v at coil when cranking.

Decided to swap out the dizzy for an electronic unit from minispares, and of course that needed a 0.8ohms coil and a 12v feed. Instead of running a new wire, I just moved the output wire from the ballast to the input 12v, and left the ballast in place for now.

Got the dizzy installed roughly in the same position as the old one came out, fired up straight away, timing set to around 10btdc as it was too bright on the driveway to see the very faint timing light.

Idle needs to be adjusted now as it's around 1200rpm.

I'm not sure what's gone wrong with the 59d and lumenation setup, maybe it's the ballast resistor, maybe it's the points/condenser...

Probably only a few more runs before it heads back to the shed for the winter 😥