Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Newb just got an Irish 74 Estate w/ 1275cc swap

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

Yellosub
NON Member
Whats your location?: Ardpatrick, Co. Limerick
The base of the Ballyhoura Mountains!
Region: Southern
What Minis have you?: 1974 Mini Van of original Irish build
Modifications: Side glass install, but all the glass on the van is Shamrock glass.
1985 MG Metro 1275cc engine swap

Newb just got an Irish 74 Estate w/ 1275cc swap

Post by Yellosub »

Well I haven't owned a Mini since 1995 so I'd call myself a newbie. And that one was never on the road! I do have 26 years experience with 1950's American cars and trucks. I moved to Cork from California in 2018. Then bought a house near the Ballyhoura Mountains in Co. Limerick 10 days before Lockdown 1.0.

I decided I wanted to return to a Mini since it was the first car my wife of 28 years saw me with. But this time I lucked out and got everything I wanted in a Mini that I didn't know I wanted. So what did I get... 1974 Mini Estate, Irish built with Shamrock Glass and a 1275cc Metro engine swap already done.

I retired from law enforcement days before we moved so this is exactly the project I want. Needs some basic maintenance before she's reliable. First thing is getting the starter/solenoid to actually engage the ring gear rather than spin uselessly. And she has to get painted YELLOW with Minilite style wheels and a timber roof rack. Those are requirements for me. Other than that I just want to keep her driving daily.

Restoration was done quite a while ago. She's now showing rust bubbles but looks pretty darn solid structurally!

I'm open to help, advice and making friends. Not interested in politics, bashing or being told I have to build my car a certain way. I won't do that to you either.
Attachments
IMG_6414.jpg
IMG_6407.jpg
IMG_6388.jpg
IMG_6323.jpg
IMG_6321.jpg
IMG_6266.jpg
IMG_6252.jpg
IMG_6247.jpg

woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Re: Newb just got an Irish 74 Estate w/ 1275cc swap

Post by woody »

Mini looks good with nice mods. I presume you are aware it is a Mini van converted to estate. I think there may have been a factory kit to do the rear seat.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
Yellosub
NON Member
Whats your location?: Ardpatrick, Co. Limerick
The base of the Ballyhoura Mountains!
Region: Southern
What Minis have you?: 1974 Mini Van of original Irish build
Modifications: Side glass install, but all the glass on the van is Shamrock glass.
1985 MG Metro 1275cc engine swap

Re: Newb just got an Irish 74 Estate w/ 1275cc swap

Post by Yellosub »

I wasn't sure if it was an Estate or a Van because my logbook says both. I'm learning as I go. I haven't had a Mini in ages. I tried updating my profile but it kept disappearing after I was done. Still trying.