Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

First Project

This section is for Mini projects and restorations and also the place to show off your pride and joy.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

Macker1
NON Member
Whats your location?: Waterford
Region: Southern

First Project

Post by Macker1 »

Hi All new to the forum and looking for help,

Little introduction first then onto my questions. Lived in the U.K for 20 years moved back to Ireland in 98 and grew up around Mini's in the U.K 80's and 90's, My son has now come of age for his first car and I remember how fun a mini was to drive and work on back then, I have a bit of knowledge with mini's but been 20 years since I had one.

I am looking to rebuild a mini from scratch and teach my son the enjoyment of an old car and building it ourselves. So my question are as follows.
1. I'm looking for a late 80's model not looking to spend a fortune on the purchase price as I intend to spend most of the money on the rebuild. Where is the best place to look (done deal has a few but some look like ringers and some are silly money) looking to spend €2000 max on the purchase price.
2. I don't have a garage so I'll need someone to maybe do any body work that might need doing, where's best place and price? (I live in Waterford)
3. Best place to get parts new or do you order from the U.K?
4. I intend to put 13/7 revolutions on the car is there much work in cutting the arch's?
5. full respray best place to have this done?

I intend to start this project end of June early July most of the work I would like to do myself but as I said I don't have a garage so the missus will be looking at car parts in the driveway for a few months :lol: :lol: . Any advice will be much appreciated and i'll post my progress on the forum as I'm going.

Thanks in Advance

Mark

spud1979
Comittee Member
Whats your location?: wexford
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1961 Morris Mini mk1
1961 Morris Irish Van
1969 Austin Mini irish mk2
1973 Clubman estate
1980 Clubman GT

Re: First Project

Post by spud1979 »

Welcome to the forum mark. Best of luck with a mini if you find one for that budget. Minis have increased big time in Ireland in the past few years similar to the UK market. There is not too many mini bodyshops in Ireland. There is a guy selling new magnum panels in wexford if you are looking later down the line. I suppose mini spares or mini sports handiest for parts. There is a good few guys in Waterford there with minis. Hopefully you find one and can share the knowledge onto your son. Best of luck with the search
Redned
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Sligo
Region: Western

Post by Redned »

A 1985 one on Done deal @ €2000, might suit !!
Macker1
NON Member
Whats your location?: Waterford
Region: Southern

Post by Macker1 »

Thanks lads,

I'll keep looking for a car might have to up the budget on the purchase price, i think I'll look for something with a decent body and then just add what I want I'm not in a rush and don't want to buy a rust bucket which will end up costing me a small fortune to repair.