Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Help with insurance!

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

siobhanie
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dublin
Region: Eastern

Help with insurance!

Post by siobhanie »

Hello there,

I am hoping to buy a Mini, and it will qualify as a 'classic' - over 30 years old - I am in talks to buy one now, the only issue I have is the insurance. I am on a provisional licence (have been waiting ages for my test), and was quite late to learn - am 40 - I don't have any other private car to insure, and after ringing around a couple of places, this cropped up. I really have my heart set on this particular Mini, and am wondering if anyone here knows of anything I can reasonably do, or if there are some companies who might still insure me, given all the information?

Thanks so much!

woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Re: Help with insurance!

Post by woody »

To get a classic policy you must have another full policy on your daily car. Most insurance companies won't quote you on a car over 30 years on a standard policy. I have my '96 on a standard policy with AXA. Your best bet may be to get a late 90's mini and insure that .
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
siobhanie
NON Member

Post by siobhanie »

Thanks so much for the advice - the upsetting thing is I have really fallen in love with this car, and there is no way I could have two cars - I wish there was a way around it.
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

If you're new to Minis, be sure to have the car checked out as there are a lot of Minis out there with incorrect log books to make them appear older to dodge VRT, NCT, tax etc. An accident with a falsely registered Mini will void any insurance, no matter how cheap you got it.

Also, every Mini rusts and if you don't know what you're looking at, you could end up with a moneypit.

Good luck with your search,

Bilyl
siobhanie
NON Member

Post by siobhanie »

Thanks for the advice Billy, it seems to check out, but will be vigilant, the insurance is the thing that is really stressful at the moment.
spud1979
Comittee Member
Whats your location?: wexford
What Minis have you?: 1961 Morris Mini mk1
1961 Morris Irish Van
1969 Austin Mini irish mk2
1973 Clubman estate
1980 Clubman GT

Post by spud1979 »

Did you try autoline up the north. Seen on another group that drivers didn't need a second car. R u a named driver on a work van or anything