Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Steering column movement

Welcome to the Techinical of the IMOC.

The Irish Mini Owners Club and its officers provide this service as a service to its members and Mini enthusiasts in good faith and do not endorse or confirm any detail or claim pertaining to items posted by individuals using this forum.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, admin, woody, Moderators

minimike
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dublin
Region: Eastern

Steering column movement

Post by minimike »

Hi,

Failed nct (amongst other things....) On steering wheel movement. It moves about a mm or more up and down. Its tightened to parcel where it should be. Took steering wheel off and shaft has play within the steering column itself if that makes sense.

Should this play be there? I assume not. Feels like there should be a split collar or something there? There is a gap between the tab that sticks out from the steering wheel and the plastic bit which knocks off indicators so feels like something is missing?

dayoungfella
NON Member
Whats your location?: Stepaside, Dublin
What Minis have you?: Mk1 Racer and Mk2 CKD

Re: Steering column movement

Post by dayoungfella »

There should be a plastic Bush that slides over the top of the inner shaft and sits in between the outter and inner shafts.

https://www.minispares.com/product/classic/GSV1095.aspx
Neil
minimike
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dublin

Re: Steering column movement

Post by minimike »

dayoungfella wrote:There should be a plastic Bush that slides over the top of the inner shaft and sits in between the outter and inner shafts.

https://www.minispares.com/product/classic/GSV1095.aspx

Hey Neil,

That's legend thanks! I saw bits of a plastic in there that's all broken. Next thing will be how do i fish out broken bits.....!

Separately, any idea why the trigger tab sticking out behind in steering wheel doesn't engage with the indicator cancelling mechanism? Or do I just move it closer to steering wheel? Indicator mechanism is currently mounted flush with top of steering column shaft.