Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Mpi

This section is for Mini projects and restorations and also the place to show off your pride and joy.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

Pete079
NON Member
Whats your location?: South County Dublin Ireland.
Region: Southern

Mpi

Post by Pete079 »

I can't see anyone modifying the mpi lads. Can any one tell me why this is. U don't see much done to them in the UK either. It's racking my brain.

Pete079
NON Member

Re: Mpi

Post by Pete079 »

So no one has a mpi then and no one can tell me why this is, well I guess I'll just find out why for myself. Not 1 reply. Yes my all my self.
miniireland
NON Member

Post by miniireland »

Forum is pretty much dead

Get yourself onto miniforum uk
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

Sun comes out for the first time in 20 years on a bank holiday and your wondering why people aren't glued to the internet? :?
People have modified MPi's but they are fairly mild modifications because MPi's still have to pass emissions in the NCT. Fitting an LCB ,exhaust and K&N filter would be the most popular followed by a worked head and larger throttle body. Don't know anybody here but in the UK some have tried the SW5i cam with mixed results regarding emissions .
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

Don't think the forum is dead, mightn't be the hive of activity it used to be, but there are still people posting and reading posts. If you are looking for instant answers then there are a myriad of Facebook pages you can try but you'll generally get more opinions than you ask for and some ridicule from the keyboard warriors to boot.

This Forum is going since 2004 and is still helping Irish Mini Owners with Irish Mini Issues.

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
Pete079
NON Member

Post by Pete079 »

Thanks for the reply. Are emission standards the same in the UK.
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

Dylan8660 in Drogheda has done a lot of development work on Mpi's. I bought a ported head for my Mpi some years ago from him. He experimented with different throttle bodies etc.
Pete079
NON Member

Post by Pete079 »

What did the head turn out like, did u do anything else along with it. What was the performance difference like.
Pete079
NON Member

Post by Pete079 »

U have to up the fuel pressure did u do that. U can't put a bigger head on it will lean it out without more fuel. High pressure boost valve mini sport do them.
Last edited by Pete079 on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete079
NON Member

Post by Pete079 »

What else does he do. Is he on here is he a engineer.
miniireland
NON Member

Post by miniireland »

The Marcos Graveyard wrote:Don't think the forum is dead, mightn't be the hive of activity it used to be, but there are still people posting and reading posts. If you are looking for instant answers then there are a myriad of Facebook pages you can try but you'll generally get more opinions than you ask for and some ridicule from the keyboard warriors to boot.

This Forum is going since 2004 and is still helping Irish Mini Owners with Irish Mini Issues.
All these years later and we still have to watch our P’s & Q’s, nice to see some things haven’t changed Neil
Pete079
NON Member

Post by Pete079 »

I don't do facebook. I've had plenty of minis all carb. So I am a genuine lover off the mini. I want to see what the scope is like on the mpi.
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

Pete079 wrote:U have to up the fuel pressure did u do that. U can't put a bigger head on it will lean it out without more fuel. High pressure boost mini sport do them.
I converted my Clubman estate to Mpi so used an external fuel injection pump so I didn't have that issue. Haven't done a rolling road so couldn't say what overall improvement. I also run a full Maniflow system without cat. The car did a 2700-mile trip to Portugal this year with no issues.
Pete079
NON Member

Post by Pete079 »

Did u leave the head standard. And is your pump a higher pressure than standard. If u changed the head can u tell me what u used.
Pete079
NON Member

Post by Pete079 »

Billy can u tell me what other upgrades u done to the engine if any. I am completely new to the mpi I have done research on engine set up but have not worked on the mpi yet. Also I had a reply from the techy on here he told me it's important to upgrade the diff if putting the cooper s conversion on the mpi. This doesn't seem to be recommended on purchase do they suffer with diff problems.
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

All Mpi's suffered diff problems. One of mine blew itself and the diff housing apart years ago. Fitting a 4-pin diff is a must.
Pete079
NON Member

Post by Pete079 »

Thanks Billy.