Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

tyre fitting tool

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

minimike
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dublin
Region: Eastern

tyre fitting tool

Post by minimike »

I see there are A few posts on this forum where lads buy and sell second hand tyres and they're also relatively cheap on minispares etc. I can't imagine many tyre places stock 12 inch tyres either!

Do many here fit the tyres themselves? If so, do you have access to professional equipment etc? Otherwise have many of ye purchased the diy kit and had much luck with it? I've seen a few YouTube vids of lads changing themselves and it looks awkward enough and not that successful.
I also wonder how they balance them too.

My mini tyres are fairly perished even though they've loads of tread (and got through nct). Was half thinking about getting diy kit but could be a disaster. Let me know any experience with diy tyre changing as would buy diy kit if its not a waste.

purplehaze
NON Member
Whats your location?: Tallaght :p
Region: Southern
What Minis have you?: 1980 clubman b16 vtec
1992 mini shell, getting turbo,d
1974 clubman estate
Modifications: original-ish pffffft ye rite

Re: tyre fitting tool

Post by purplehaze »

They guy at the square in tallaght beside tallaght Auto parts has a tyre machine that can do 10s...

I've a manual tyre thing there. Never used it but. I can root it out for u if you'd like???

I got my tyres from minispares. Cheaper than anywhere here so. Not to bad
If it's bigger than a mini it's not a mini
minimike
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dublin
Region: Eastern

Re: tyre fitting tool

Post by minimike »

Don't bother digging it out just yet, I'm not sure I'll buy one at all to be honest. Was just wondering about experience of guys on here. I've a set of steel rims I got with car that seem to be in good nick. I was this thinking about getting them put on the alloys but if I'm getting a tyre fitter to change tyres it'd prob would make more sense to get new ones.

If lads seemed to have success with diy kit it would be worth buying one and giving it a go but would like to hear if they actually work first!