Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

New Welder advice

Welcome to the Techinical of the IMOC.

The Irish Mini Owners Club and its officers provide this service as a service to its members and Mini enthusiasts in good faith and do not endorse or confirm any detail or claim pertaining to items posted by individuals using this forum.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, admin, woody, Moderators

minimike
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dublin
Region: Eastern

New Welder advice

Post by minimike »

Hi guys,

Bought a 91 mini city which needs some welding. New door skins to start but there'll probably be more to do I'm sure...

Anyway, I've been looking around at mig welders and was advised that I should look for something that'll do 0.6mm wire which is biggest gauge to be used for bodywork. Also advised that it is good idea to have a euro torch so that it can be replaced as they can get damaged so you'd be stuck with a hard wired one.

I was told a gas mig is also the way to go although u can get results with gasless. This is my first time at mig so want gas to give myself the best chance. I've done a bit of stick welding so hoping I'll manage with mig and I'm told mig is much easier which will hopefully help....!

Anyway, I was looking at the following which seems a reasonable deal as it has those features and a bottle of gas. I know its only 9litre but its a start! Also capable of taking 5kg and 15kg spools too.

http://www.wholesaleweldingsupplies.ie/ ... ct_id=4652

I know swp it seems isn't the best of brands but seems OK? I also don't have 1000+ to spend on a mig!

Any comments/recommendations appreciated.

I've looked online and this seems the best deal. Anybody know any other bricks and morter places I should try that might be a good deal or even better?

Thanks,
Mike

DaveC
IMOC Paid Member

Re: New Welder advice

Post by DaveC »

I have just bought this one:

http://www.clarkedistributors.ie/index. ... ct_id=2431

I had looked at the one you are thinking about but couldn't find any reviews.
I haven't had a chance to use it yet though.
It doesn't come with the 9L bottle of gas
minimike
NON Member

Post by minimike »

Thanks for the reply Dave. I'll keep this I one in mind thanks!
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

I have a 180 Turbo for years now and find it very good. The Turbo just means it has an extra fan for cooling so you can weld for longer periods. The deal on the 170 is actually better because it includes the first bottle of gas. I use to use larger bottles but the rental went too high so now I use the 9 litre .
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
minimike
NON Member

Post by minimike »

woody wrote:I have a 180 Turbo for years now and find it very good. The Turbo just means it has an extra fan for cooling so you can weld for longer periods. The deal on the 170 is actually better because it includes the first bottle of gas. I use to use larger bottles but the rental went too high so now I use the 9 litre .
Thanks woody. Good to see somebody else got on well with a SWP so think I'm going to go for it even if yours is the bigger brother. I'm sure they're similar quality I suppose!
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

Mine isn't SWP but it does look very simular ( over 20 years old) . Theres very little in them to go wrong , the only real technical bit is the wire feed.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
minimike
NON Member

Post by minimike »

woody wrote:Mine isn't SWP but it does look very simular ( over 20 years old) . Theres very little in them to go wrong , the only real technical bit is the wire feed.
OK cool thanks woody. A guy I know who was a professional welder was saying some more sophisticated ones have digital boards which can go but I think he was dealing with huge yokes, 3 phase etc. I won't be using mine a lot anyway.
minimike
NON Member

Post by minimike »

Hi all,

I bought this in he end. Did my door frame repairs and welded on new skins in relevant places. Also welded in small patch panels here and there. Happy enough tbh. Can dial it down low enough so I'm not burning holes in general. Thanks again for help