Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Petrol/Engine Issue

Welcome to the Techinical of the IMOC.

The Irish Mini Owners Club and its officers provide this service as a service to its members and Mini enthusiasts in good faith and do not endorse or confirm any detail or claim pertaining to items posted by individuals using this forum.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, admin, woody, Moderators

antodeco
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Ballyfermot, Dublin 10
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: '89 Mayfair
'80 1275GT
'79 Unknown!
'76 Clubman

Petrol/Engine Issue

Post by antodeco »

Hi all,
Having a strange issue. I hadnt driven the car in a few weeks, and the clutch was dead. I managed to bleed the clutch and all working fine.

However, the car has been running rough. Ive noticed I am going through a serious amount of petrol the last week, and the car had cut out twice coming off the motorway. Once, I could restart it, I had to get the car jumped. However, it has had no problems since then, with the car starting fine each time. The second time it cut out, I was able to start, after pulling the choke out. I had to leave the choke out for the remaining 5 minutes of the journey.

Both times, the car had been running for nearly an hour, and have a combination of start stop traffic and motorway runs.

Any suggestions what this could be?

I was thinking fuel filter/pump at first, as using more petrol and it cutting out. But then was thinking alternator, as the battery died and needed a jump
Thanks

-Mmmmmmmmmini-
macker
NON Member
Whats your location?: THE FRIDGE
Region: Aboard
What Minis have you?: 110bhp 1968 mkII
Modifications: NEW Custom flakey paint

Re: Petrol/Engine Issue

Post by macker »

Do you have a stand alone fuel pressure regulator fitted?

I had similar problems years ago with one of them, changed to a filter King and no more problems
ImageImageImage
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Re: Petrol/Engine Issue

Post by woody »

If your using more petrol than normal than baring a leak it is most likely the carb. A blocked filter , weak pump or electrical fault will not use more petrol. Strip and clean the carb.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR