Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Car off the road

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

minionly
NON Member
Whats your location?: tallaght dublin 24
Region: Southern
What Minis have you?: leyland mini clubman 76 saloon
Modifications: painted in granit graey. 1293 engine block bored out too 1312. sw5 cam .1.5 high lift rolling rockers. electrionic fuel pump .webber 45 carb. millennium rc40 exhuast system center exit. copper 10inch brake set up .and dunlop d1s alloys .

Car off the road

Post by minionly »

Anyone able to help me declearing a mini off the road that has never being on the road in the 10+ years I've owned it 0851273622 any help welcome as axa cnt quote till get this done!!!

pump101
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Kilkenny

Re: Car off the road

Post by pump101 »

You need it to declared to be off the road for tax? if you put the car in some one elses name.. then back into your name , you can declare it off the road immediately. Hope this helps.
minionly
NON Member
Modifications: painted in granit graey. 1293 engine block bored out too 1312. sw5 cam .1.5 high lift rolling rockers. electrionic fuel pump .webber 45 carb. millennium rc40 exhuast system center exit. copper 10inch brake set up .and dunlop d1s alloys .

Post by minionly »

I only have a vrt receipt for the mini dnt even have a book
pump101
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Kilkenny

Post by pump101 »

oh right... im not sure so. Hopefully someone can help. Can you get the book?
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

I presume the logbook will be issued when the car is first taxed, the car can't be taxed until it is insured. Have you talked to local tax office or shannon to see if the car is required to be declared off the road as it was never taxed on the road here. Can you transfare ownership without taxing it ,as a motor dealer would.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
Scoobasteve7
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: West Cork
What Minis have you?: 1983 Mini City E

Post by Scoobasteve7 »

It all depends if the car is in your name or not.

If it is:
As you say you have the VRT receipt, I'd say your best bet would to be ring Shannon and ask them to reissue a logbook for it. Provided you were/are the official owner this should be out to you in a maximum of two to three weeks normally.

If it's not:
If you have no book for it, you'll have to go to a garda station to get the form to declare it lost/stolen.
You will also need a stamped affa david form from a commissioner of oaths (there's a few other people that can stamp them too declaring that you are the correct owner of the car and basically legally swear that the car is yours. Post to Shannon and they will ship out a replacement logbook.

Once the new book arrives, go into the tax office and declare it off the road immediately, asw if it goes into the next month you will be liable for tax.

Hope this helps.
Scoobasteve7
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: West Cork
What Minis have you?: 1983 Mini City E

Post by Scoobasteve7 »

Also, if the insurance you are trying to get is purely for the car in the garage, I've heard that some insurance companies include garaged cars in the policy. Never looked into it properly myself, but might help you out all the same.
minis24se7en
NON Member
Whats your location?: Mayo.
Region: Western

Post by minis24se7en »

If it was vrt'd / cleared to Irish reg you won't get a tax book until you tax it. Transferring ownership won't be of any benefit as to do this you have to send a letter to Shannon just to notify them of the new owner but they will just update their system and still not release a tax book until it's taxed.
minionly
NON Member

Post by minionly »

Ur dead right found this out yesterday