Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Nct

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

Paddy2708
NON Member
Whats your location?: Wexford
Region: Southern

Nct

Post by Paddy2708 »

I've just bought a 88 mini that hasn't been nct for a number of years I'm worried that it going cost a fortune to get a nct for it is there any way around this ??

The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Re: Nct

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

No.

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
spud1979
Comittee Member
Whats your location?: wexford
What Minis have you?: 1961 Morris Mini mk1
1961 Morris Irish Van
1969 Austin Mini irish mk2
1973 Clubman estate
1980 Clubman GT

Post by spud1979 »

Just to let mini owners know that the guards will now have nct details on the patrol cars with the anpr systems so it will flag if you drive by. It is 5 penalty points in Ireland for no nct, worse out of all the points systems. Remember to book it in and carry the confirmation with you. You risk getting you car seized too
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

The NCT came in in 2000 if memory serves me correct so unless its been off the road for more than 15 years chances are it passed an NCT at some stage so mightn't be to bad. Depending on weather it was stored indoor or out ,rust may be an issue. Poke the sills and floors hard and see if any holes appear,if they do than poke harder to see the extent of the problem, no point in hidding the problem if you want to get an accurate quote to fix it. Any mini that has laid up a while will usually have seized some part of the brakes (rear cylinders or adjusters) so examine all brakes. You won't have to do the strict emmision test so unless the engine is smoky you should be ok . Old oil seals go hard so you will proberbly have leaks on the gear select and diff output seals, these can be done in the car at the same time as checking the balljoints .Rocker cover gaskets also harden with age and leak. Service the engine ,check lights and tires ,wash the mini and put it in for the test and let them tell you what else might need doing.
This is just a guide based on experiance of what any mini lying up for a few years may require.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
mgb1978
NON Member
Whats your location?: Co. Limerick
What Minis have you?: 1976 saloon , 1275cc, White with black roof. Converted to Discs on the cheap so stuck with 12"s for now.

Post by mgb1978 »

spud1979 wrote:Just to let mini owners know that the guards will now have nct details on the patrol cars with the anpr systems so it will flag if you drive by. It is 5 penalty points in Ireland for no nct, worse out of all the points systems. Remember to book it in and carry the confirmation with you. You risk getting you car seized too
It's now 3 points for not having a valid NCT.
It was 5 points previously, but that could only be issued by a Judge after you were summonsed by a Guard. The Guard himself could not issue any points for lack of an NCT........but now they can.
Paddy2708
NON Member

Post by Paddy2708 »

Well the mini is gone off to be welded now 2 new sills and door steps anyone out there no if it would pass a nct with a oil leak or should I sort it first
mgb1978
NON Member
Whats your location?: Co. Limerick
What Minis have you?: 1976 saloon , 1275cc, White with black roof. Converted to Discs on the cheap so stuck with 12"s for now.

Post by mgb1978 »

Really depends on the severity of the leak and the mood of the Tester (a lot of them will forgive a Mini for a small oil leak, it's purely up to them if it fails on this or not).
If it's something easy enough such as a gearchange seal then I'd do it pre test....if not and it's not literally dripping out a litre a minute I'd chance it.
Paddy2708
NON Member

Post by Paddy2708 »

Think I'll go tru the car before I send it up it's not a massive leak but it's messy under the car with oil
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

A good powerwash beforehand is always a good idea
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

Good powerwash down the back of the engine and gearbox and an oil change, clean oil is harder to spot.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
Benny
NON Member
Whats your location?: Louth
What Minis have you?: '88 Austin Mini

Post by Benny »

Just give the car a good smart looking over and sort any obvious things that it may fail on, i.e lights, wipers, tyres. Then just run it through and they will give you a list of things to fix. Unless it passes first time that is