Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

RSA consultation period on testing vintage vehicles

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

kerryminigringo
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Between an A series and a G13B
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: 61 van,68 MKII,
75 Clubman estate,
80 1275GT
91 RSP Cooper

RSA consultation period on testing vintage vehicles

Post by kerryminigringo »

As the RSA is considering the mandatory testing of vintage vehicles,it would be in all our interest to read their document and have our say in what would impact on our Minis as they get older.
http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Vehicle%20S ... cument.pdf

Real Clubmans have a square nose.Seriously.
joeyfinneran
NON Member
Whats your location?: roscommon
Region: Western

Re: RSA consultation period on testing vintage vehicles

Post by joeyfinneran »

Realy hope this doesnt go ahead!
As it will kill alot of cars.
Its just somthing else to get money of people :?
CB_Phil
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Dublin,
What Minis have you?: 1275 MkIII
Modifications: Few bits

Post by CB_Phil »

yet again the RSA trying to destroy what little freedom we have (they are trying to bring in similar for bikes). I think, as with bikes, a demo (all classics, as its not just Mini's involved) & if someone thats good @ such letter writing drafted up a copy & everyone sends a copy off to our dear friends @ the RSA
I am also surprised that the wider community of vintage & classic cars in Ireland has not set up an organisation such as MAG (motorcycle action group)
spud1979
Comittee Member
Whats your location?: wexford
What Minis have you?: 1961 Morris Mini mk1
1961 Morris Irish Van
1969 Austin Mini irish mk2
1973 Clubman estate
1980 Clubman GT

Post by spud1979 »

I'm sorry but where do they expect to test these vehicles. At current the nct centres can't mamage. I booked my mini in yesterday and the closest date I could get was January next year. If they do bring these tests in it should be done on mileage and not yearly. It's not very often you see a vintage car in poor condition on the road. They are the pride and joy of owners.
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

But it would help get rid of the current craze for pre-1980 logbooks. And secondly, if your car is roadworthy in terms of tyres, lights, suspension, brakes, etc, what have you to worry about? If anything, having your Mini NCTed adds value to it when you're selling. And don't forget there are plenty of people who can't change a spark plug, let alone know if their ball joints need replacing. My 60-year-old wedding car had to be NCTed every 12 months. It didn't always pass first time but once it did, I knew that I had fixed problems that could have left me at the side of the road, or in the ditch.
keith
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dún Laoghaire, Dublin
What Minis have you?: '93 SPi cooper

Post by keith »

keith wrote:NCT will only add to safety, but is *NO* substitute to good servicing and maintenance of your mini. NCT is dangerous if you rely on it entirely for the safety of your car. As some have posted, its testing can be hit and miss and some of the "fail" triggers are bizzare: fail *if the county name is not spelled correctly on the licence plate* if memory serves. - equally so a car that passes is not really much safer than one that doesn't. without wishing to hijack this thread, imho it would be far better to have random testing at a week's notice to encourage "safe" cars all year round rather than once a year at NCT time. /rant
that was back in 2011 - http://www.irishminis.ie/forum/viewtopi ... 208#p57208 - i've no reason to view it differently - in the last 3 years I've had a spurious "fails" for faulty, cracked brake pipes (they weren't - gave them a wipe with an oily rag and they passed), fail for wrong font on the county name and a side repeater what wasn't yellow enough.

On the positive side, on reading the report, its shown me i will need shocks soon and the emissions continue to be excellent. 8)

Safety has no compromise; While I think NCT has increased safety, it has also lulled some motorists into not bothering to carry out routine inspection/mtce. We still see cars with dangerous tyres, faulty lights, smokey exhausts, etc.

Here are the options the RSA are looking at –
  • Exempt Vehicles Used for Social and Domestic Purposes which were First Registered Prior to 1st January 1960 from Compulsory Roadworthiness Testing
    Exempt Vehicles Used for Social and Domestic Purposes which were First Registered Prior to 1st January 1980 from Compulsory Roadworthiness Testing
    Exempt Vehicles Used for Social and Domestic Purposes which are 40 years old or more from Compulsory Roadworthiness Testing
    Exempt Vehicles Used for Social and Domestic Purposes which are 30 years old or more from Compulsory Roadworthiness Testing
(source:http://www.wheelsforwomen.ie/index.php/ ... artesting/

I'm in favor of the 4th option - 30 year testing

IMOC should form an opinion, contact other Vintage/Veteran/Car clubs and put a well crafted response to the RSA

see also this: http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Vehicle%20S ... cument.pdf
and http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Vehicle%20S ... e_Form.doc
Signature still awaiting top-coat and lacquer....
kerryminigringo
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Between an A series and a G13B
What Minis have you?: 61 van,68 MKII,
75 Clubman estate,
80 1275GT
91 RSP Cooper

Post by kerryminigringo »

I would have nothing to fear about sending any of my cars for a test if it was a test that was applicable to older cars but having had a car damaged to the tune of €250 by the NCTS I would be very slow in letting them near any of my older cars.The plain fact is that NCTS is a private company which has to make a profit to stay in business and that means it will fail on a 50/50 calls and when are they going to test these extra cars as the backlog with them is months already.What are the statistics with accidents caused by classic cars which defects when everyday cars the percentage is minute.Most accidents are caused by speeds and reckless driving,behaviour not associated with classic car ownership.This testing is another burden on classic car owners as the government closes a loophole whereby someone might avail of cheap tax and NCT exempt status to reduce the cost of their motoring.I would be in favour of the 30 year rolling option myself.
Real Clubmans have a square nose.Seriously.
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

This thing IS going ahead one one form or another and if you read the whole document some options are actually an improvment on the current system.
Option 4 only to exempt cars over 30 years old is better than the pre 1980 exemption we have now.
The option to volinteerly test an exempt car could be handy for safety standards when buying or selling a car.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
zakgt
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Maynooth
What Minis have you?: 1962 - Morris Traveller MK1 - 1978 - 1275GT, 1998 - Sportspack

Post by zakgt »

I think the statistics on the number of accidents involving NCT excempt cars is key peice of missing data here, why go through all the trouble, if it is not a problem in the first place. Personally I know my driving style is different when driving my 1962 Mini compared to driving my 1998.
antodeco
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Ballyfermot, Dublin 10
What Minis have you?: '89 Mayfair
'80 1275GT
'79 Unknown!
'76 Clubman

Post by antodeco »

Zak, I agree totally. I leave so much more room between myself and the car in front when driving my GT than any other car. I think owners of classic cars drive their cars for enjoyment and typically drive more safer than in a modern day equivalent.
-Mmmmmmmmmini-
Kenneth Murphy
NON Member
Whats your location?: knockbine
tullycanna
ballymitty
co. wexford.
What Minis have you?: 1972 pick up
1979 leyland
88 designer

Post by Kenneth Murphy »

Nct is ******, pack of jumped up nobody's, we sent a car recently that we knew was in bits, things loose, broken, and it came back with a cert, I sent my gsi rep corsa b years ago and they ripped the skirts off pulling the rivets outta the body, then failed me, I've never NCTd a car nor will I, respective of the age,
Last edited by macker on Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: language
................................FOUNDER OF HILLBILLY ENGINEERING.................................
FROM THIS TO THISImage
shay
NON Member

Post by shay »

some very good replys on this issue lets have a freedom of information on the amount of crashes involving classic cars just another form of taxation like they tried with the fishing rod licence i spent 5 years as an accident investor in dublin and i did not come across one sine case of a mechanical fault being the primary cause of the accident
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

From the Charleville Vintage Club's facebook page:

"There is an information meeting for all clubs in the Munster region regarding the proposed change of legislation for the testing of all pre 1980 cars & trucks on Wednesday the 22nd of October at 8pm sharp in the Charleville Park Hotel. All vintage enthusiasts please attend for more details contact Ml on 0872769476 or Ed on 086 2578807."

I'll be attending the meeting tonight.
coolmini
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Claremorris
Mayo
What Minis have you?: none right now
Modifications: sold that one, looking for a new project

Post by coolmini »

There is nothing wrong with cars being tested provided they have the resources to deal with it and a clear set of rules for modifications and their tests eg braking mods like disk to drums
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

There's a similar meeting in Mayo tonight and one in Dublin next week. About 300 vintage enthusiasts turned up last night to hear how submissions should be made to the RSA. It's important the the IMOC should be represented.
keith
NON Member

Post by keith »

where/when is the dublin meeting? cant see it in the usual websites
*want to go*
shay
NON Member

Post by shay »

spawell next thursday i think 8pm give them a buz to confirm
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

Mayo meeting tonight in the Dalton Inn, Claremorris @8pm. It's important that there is a club presence there.
coolmini
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Claremorris
Mayo
What Minis have you?: none right now
Modifications: sold that one, looking for a new project

Post by coolmini »

Who else is going to the Claremorris one
Darran
Comittee Member
Whats your location?: Abbeyleix
Co. Laois
What Minis have you?: 1961 Austin Seven,1982 Mini Van,1980 Clubman Estate,1982 Clubman Estate,1986 Mini City,1991 Mini Neon,1994 Mini Cabriolet,1996 Mini Cooper,1997 Mini Cooper Sportspack,1999 Mini Cooper Sportspack

Post by Darran »

The Dublin meeting is on Thursday 30th Spawell leisure centre Templeogue Dublin 8pm
Darran Hutchinson
PRO / Event Coordinator
Irish Mini Owners Club
DOUGAL
Comittee Member

Post by DOUGAL »

I went to Claremorris Another full house in Mayo last night .
A change is going to come Whether we like it or not . Testing of of Cars is here to stay. By uniting together We ( vintage owners ) can voice our opinion on what range of cars will be tested . the preferred option of 4 seems to be the 30 year rolling option ( ie if its over 30 years old its exempt same as 30year cheap tax ) . Every vintage owner needs to complete the submission form but as a club we need to be seeking the same thing .
DOUGAL
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

How did the meeting go last night?
keith
NON Member

Post by keith »

By the tome i got to spawell at 21:30, it was just over. Seemed like a good turnout. Only saw one other mini there, a 00 in black.
BlackSe7en
IMOC Paid Member

Post by BlackSe7en »

Myself, Milton, Paul and Julie Maloney, Shay , Jason + 1 attended the Spawell meeting on Thursday evening.
THe meeting was really about putting forward ideas on how every Club and every Club member should answer the 10 questions. They want everyone to have their replies in by November 14th 2014. They suggested that you should try and get anyone you know who is involved with the Classic/Vintage scene , either through Ownership or repairs/ maintainence should also submit replies.
They are tryintg to get the 30 year exception to be a Rolling 30 years and apply to Trucks, Tractors and Bikes as well.
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

If you haven't already done so, this Friday is the closing date for submissions to the RSA so it's time to get the finger out. If you can't figure out how to fill out the 10 questions, post here and someone will be able to help you out.