Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Engine Help needed.....

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

just_st3v3n
NON Member
Whats your location?: cavan
Region: Northern
What Minis have you?: 1989 red mayfair aka project nancy
Modifications: Nancy is deseamed and will be getting some sort of modern engine someday

Engine Help needed.....

Post by just_st3v3n »

hey guys am just wondering has anyone ever had this happen to them before???

made it just about to college Maynooth from the house 5 mins away n would like to get home to cavan today, but not lookin good......
the car is driveable but when i accelerate to make up speed i hear some scary rattling noise from the engine.... then when i change gear n let idle its gone untill i accelerate again....??? anyone ever have this b4 or know what could be wrong??

is my engine B**^&^D?? :(

Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

If you are travelling along and the rattle starts, try pressing the clutch and see does it stop. If it doesn't, it could be drivetrain related. If it does, unfortunately it sounds like engine bearings. Your engine won't be knackered, it just needs rebuilding. The cheapest way out, if you are working to a budget and time is against you, is to find another engine.

Billy
Merlin
NON Member
What Minis have you?: Mk1 Austin Mini,Mk3 Layland Mini,72Van,81 Clubman Estate, 87 Race carand a 2000 Rover Cooper.
Modifications: Mk1: 998 with flat top slipper pistons, 286 cam, 12G940 head 11:1 compression twin inch and a half SU's 5 speed gearbox. Mk3 998 automatic no mods, 72Van is a pile of rust, , Racer is being built but has the works and the 2000 rover cooper needs an engine again :(

Post by Merlin »

If it tis and engine your after i can help have 4 998 here A and A+ give us a shout when you find out.
jocelynn
IMOC Paid Member

Post by jocelynn »

try paul kelly at minifix for advice
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

How sudden did this noise appear. Was there any hint of anything on the previous days?
DaveC
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Dublin

Post by DaveC »

Clutch release bearing?
Broken timing chain tensioner?
just_st3v3n
NON Member
Modifications: Nancy is deseamed and will be getting some sort of modern engine someday

Post by just_st3v3n »

glad got so many replies lads cheers!! #

but unfortunately i had 2 make it home last nite to work so went on public transport so wont have a chance to do anything wit the car till monday :(

As far as i remember when driving (30-45 km) when i changed the gears the noise dissapears... the noise appeared when pressing the accelerator to gain speed to change gears, when not acceleration (v little) but driving, the noise isnt noticeably there....

asked around at home and someone mentioned it could be that the engine is only running on 4 cylinders????

the noise first appeared that morning when i left the house. just as i pulled off the car started jumping weirdly n nearly konked out on me..? (bad driving) :? then after that i stopped a few houses door n picked up m8, n then when restarting the car the noise became more loud and scary...

Merlin might be interested in a new engine yet...
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

Whoever told you your Mini was only running on 4 cylinders was taking the mickey. There are only 4 cylinders in a Mini!

Billy
just_st3v3n
NON Member

Post by just_st3v3n »

:oops:

meant to say 3.... :shock:
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

How bad is the noise. If yopur distributor has moved it could be over advanced and what your hearing is pinging.
just_st3v3n
NON Member

Post by just_st3v3n »

:cry:

just an update:

car hasnt gotten anywhere further, still sittin in the car park. dont have the cash at the mo to get it fixed so am just gonna borrow trailer of someone and get it brought home.

still dont know whats wrong wit it and best way i can describe the sound (feeling when driving) is that when pulling of slowly there is no noise, if press accelerator harder i can hear a horrible rattling noise and the car starts to struggle a bit...

thanks for all the info advice on what to do etc.
my father used to work in a garage years ago fixing carbs and engines so im just gonna let him trick away at it and hope 4 da best :?
DaveC
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Dublin

Post by DaveC »

I am inclined to go along with Woody and say your ignition timing is out
ricoh
NON Member

Post by ricoh »

http://www.ime.org.uk

CLICK ON THIS LINK...then, in the search box, type in the word "pinking"...without the commas....then look at No: 1...

if you're still not sure....call me on 087-2062479....my name is Paul & I am only toooo glad to pass on any info I can to a fellow Mini owner....

We all learn from our Minis & we all pass on what we have learned...right...??
just_st3v3n
NON Member

Post by just_st3v3n »

hey guys finally got the mini home last week and finished my exams on friday so this weekend was really the first time i could get a look at the mini.

along with my haynes manual and my fathers previous experience i managed to check the valves set the timing checked all the spark plugs and finally when we did a compression test we found that their is no compression in the first and second cylinder, resulting in us to bizarrely believe the engine can run on 2 cylinders??? my father has a few theories of what the problem could be... anyone else have any????
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

It sounds like the head gasket is gone between the cylinders. A new gasket should solve the problem, provided you haven't drivrn too many miles with a blown gasket and that you haven't boiled the bejaysus out of the engine, if you have, then a head skim or the need to have the block decked might be in order.

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
just_st3v3n
NON Member

Post by just_st3v3n »

marcos u were spot on!
took the head of today and found just like u said a broken gasket..

i took a few pictures of the head its not very clear where the gasket was broke in the pictures but its in between the first two cylinders.
the cylinder bores (?) are still in good nick, no scratches or anything wrong with them but there was a good amount of oil on the first piston and little bit of hardened dirt, the second only contained little bit of hardened dirt, the 3rd and 4th were pretty clean.
is there anyone around the cavan area who would be able to do a head skim as i would like to get this done while its off anyway?

any advice or recommendations greatly appreciated.

steven

uploading pics now

Not great quality but here are the photo's, i hope they show up http://www.flickr.com/photos/8633970@N04/
Merlin
NON Member
What Minis have you?: Mk1 Austin Mini,Mk3 Layland Mini,72Van,81 Clubman Estate, 87 Race carand a 2000 Rover Cooper.
Modifications: Mk1: 998 with flat top slipper pistons, 286 cam, 12G940 head 11:1 compression twin inch and a half SU's 5 speed gearbox. Mk3 998 automatic no mods, 72Van is a pile of rust, , Racer is being built but has the works and the 2000 rover cooper needs an engine again :(

Post by Merlin »

Hi steven,
I always use Howard's in cabra ind Est there nice people and good value ask for a guy called Oliver he will look after you and is very good with all things mini.