Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

1980 mini 850. Joseph.

This section is for Mini projects and restorations and also the place to show off your pride and joy.

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

andrew.1990.rover
NON Member
Whats your location?: Cabinteely
Dublin 18
Region: Eastern

1980 mini 850. Joseph.

Post by andrew.1990.rover »

Hi all, this is my first real post so bear with me if it’s not up to scratch.
I bought a lovely British Racing Green 1990 Rover mini, nicknamed the hulk, just before Christmas 2012 and was smitten with the mini bug. My mini story begins there but I had walked past a gorgeous blue mini every day (I never stood a chance). It was a dream come true but quickly ran into issues passing the NCT. 3 attempts later it’s still not through. Needless to say it’s become a money pit but I love her all the more for it.

Anyway onto the case in hand my 1980 mini 850.
Primary colour: Rust. A previous owner had poorly attempted a gun-metal grey respray and the original blue is winking through in patches.
I’v decided to call it Joseph, after Joseph and his technicolour coat.
Bought as a total project it’s in very poor condition.
I have decided to totally strip it and hopefully rebuild it from the ground up with minimal garage work. Some areas may call for expert help, eg. Painting, but hopefully I’ll stumble along unaided with the milder levels of work. A couple of friends work in garages, one owns a garage, and another has previously built his own mini up, which was sold to a young lad on this site im pretty sure, so many favours will be called in over the comming months.
If progress seems slow at times im probably just broke or waiting for parts to arrive.

With thanks to a bumpy road, failing rubbers and stormy weather we lost the back window on the journey home.
The brakes were totally shot and the trailer was far from top spec so it was a nervous trip all in all.

I didn't get to take any photos of it before I started stripping it out unfortunately. All that it had extra was rear seats the headliner and the rear view mirror. I also have the chrome trim that's partially missing in the photos and the front lights.

I got replacement sills and passenger side door step with the car.
I’ve done up a list of parts/repairs I think it needs, anything I miss I’m sure I’ll find out later.

Grill surrounds are incomplete/tarnished and need replacement.

Both bumpers need attention.
On a side note here I was thinking about a fiberglass flip front? Too ambitious?
Suspension will need to be upgraded as its never been touched. I have every intention of fitting hi/lo’s but will depend on budget when they get fitted.

Headlights need work.

Front floor pans are rotten on both sides.

Passenger doorstep needs replacement.

Sills need replacing

Boot floor needs replacing

Rear seat panel needs repair. (It was bad but then I butchered it to get at the brake lines)

It could do with rear shelf repair/touch up.

The windows need new rubbers all round. Also a new heated back window is needed.

Both doors need new locks and internals. Door-cards need replacement at some stage. drivers door needs work/replacemnt.

As of yet I’m undecided about interior. The original interior is passable with a bit of work and I’d hate to regret discarding it in months to come, so for now it stays.

Wiring will be necessary but to what extent is still unclear. Most but not all electrical parts function as is.

Brakes. The brake lines were corroded and leaking so need replacing all round.
The drums and other brake parts (pads etc... need repair if not replacement)

The car starts and runs to an acceptable level but I hope to remove the engine and give it a light restoration. It works up and down the gearbox perfectly so that's a bonus.
I’ve seen engine bays left original but I think blue/red parts look best on a clean repainted engine so cleaning and repainting were I can is the general plan.

It needs a full respray. Im planning on returning it to its origional blue. Welding/repair work wil need to be completed first. I have had a few thoughts on either wrapping it or plasti dipping it to protect the paint and i quite like the thoughts of a matte black mini. Again all opinions welcome...

Probably should have listed the working parts as its by far a shorter list.
I'm sure more issues will come to mind.

By far the biggest annoyance so far is the rusty nuts. :lol: Any and every nut, bolt and screw seem to be held in place with 34 years of rust. They seem to be untouched since the car rolled off the showroom floor.
i had to butcher these to remove them.

All help is appreciated but don't get worked up if I totally ignore advice and do my own thing. :D

woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Re: 1980 mini 850. Joseph.

Post by woody »

You've plenty of work ahead of you but nothing I haven't seen before , looks like a text book 1980 needing a restoration. As its 1980 its going to be NCT'ed every year so the main thing is to take your time and do it right first time. Wiring looms are generally quite robust and usually only need a bit of retaping and clean or replace a few connectors. Spend a lot of time removing and treating for rust as theres nothing worse then seeing rust bubbles 2 or 3 years after you've had it resprayed.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
andrew.1990.rover
NON Member
Dublin 18

Thanks for the positive reply woody.
Doing this quickly really isn't an option. I work and am in college so it's going to be a long slow process.
Regarding rust treatment what's the best product. I have used waxoyl previously on underbody and arches and found it pretty competent.
This is my first big build so any techniques or tips are going to be invaluable.
Thanks in advance.
DaveC
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Dublin

Post by DaveC »

Hi Andrew,

I spotted your Racing Green at Cabinteely a while back.
Looks like an interesting restoration you are starting into.
Just wondering if it has disc brakes on the front with 12" wheels? If so that will be a step up from the original drums.
andrew.1990.rover
NON Member
Dublin 18

Its drums all round.
I have no intention, as of yet, to increase power dramatically so drums should suffice.
There is a possibility that later down the road i will upgrade the breaks.

Iv seen a few mini's with flip fronts and find myself strongly considering it.
Has anyone had experience with fitting them?
What are the benefits (apart from aesthetic's) or potential drawbacks?
andrew.1990.rover
NON Member
Dublin 18

for new bits on the rover and new engine to rebuild

progress has come grinding to a halt... literally.
have a new engine to be dropped in will upload photos as i get around to stripping it.

seller knew squat about engines but turns out its a 1330.

picked it up for 25 quid as a non runner more to mess around with then to install but more and more i find myself liking the thoughts of putting it in to the 850.

turns out there was a reason it was 25 quid it was seized but after many cans of WD40 and totally stripping the engine all came loose.

engine was filled with this lovely sludge

on a side not picked up a air horn.

got a few stickers when was waiting for parts.

got the pistons out cleaned them up a bit (was here when i realized it wasn't a standard 1275)

that's them dirty actually not cleaned hahaha.

also got a little piece for the roof of the rover. that horrible Punto is my daily driver until i get the rover back on the road.

on a longer term its to become "the hulk"
i have my eye on a set of 10" minilites that will be going purple mated with the green paint and a big hulk roof decal.
also have a few other bits to source but that's a long way off.

iv started fitting the stage one kit to the rover as well but haven't had huge amounts of time.
rebuilt the carb with the stage one kit so new needle, spring and gaskets. any other easy bits to touch up in Colour? i don't want a multicolored engine bay just a few touch ups to make it stand out.

have a full mini flow exhaust to fit as well

anyone got any advice with the water heated manifold? eg how to hook it up or is it even worth the time??

got a 12G295 head and Weber 40dcoe carb as well but the bypass hose has been closed off on the head any thoughts on running a road engine without it? other then that there's plenty of meat left on it has had minimal skimming if any.
from what i have picked up drilling the thermostat will suffice??
also will it necessarily need to be skimmed?
have exams in a month so i probably wont get much done over the coming month. or ill get loads done and end up repeating next year hahaha any thoughts/advise is appreciated as i'm still a noob in this world.