Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Clutch Issues!

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

Dave_H
NON Member
Whats your location?: Cork
Region: Southern

Clutch Issues!

Post by Dave_H »

Hi All,

First post on here! Few months ago i bought a mini from the site, User name buddys blue 00 mini.
I bought it as a project so have been going through the issues.

So far i've repaired a pretty large oil leak, and a few cosmetic bits and pieces.

My most recent problem was the clutch decided it no longer wanted to work. Now i dont fully understand the issue but what i do know is that a lot of the clutch assembly is badly worn.
I'm looking to know if anyone can point me in the right direction before i order all the parts from minispares.

https://www.minispares.com/catalogues/c ... x?2~13~120

From the image above i need parts 19 (Housing end cover) 25 (Clutch lever arm) 10 (Full clutch...going to replace as its out) and 15-18 (Plunger assembly)

I can get everything except 19 the housing on mini spares.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or should i just order off mini spares.
Any help appreciated

Dave!
Last edited by Dave_H on Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keith
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dún Laoghaire, Dublin
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: '93 SPi cooper

Re: Clutch Issues!

Post by keith »

welcome Dave.

whats wrong with the housing? (item 19) unless cracked/broken they don't tend to "wear" that much?
Signature still awaiting top-coat and lacquer....
Dave_H
NON Member

Post by Dave_H »

keith wrote:welcome Dave.

whats wrong with the housing? (item 19) unless cracked/broken they don't tend to "wear" that much?
Hi Keith, I dont want to sound like i know what i'm talking about but apparently the clutch jammed up against the housing and put a huge amount of pressure on it. The hole was badly worn and you could see where the plates had been pressed up against it!

This is the first time ive seen a clutch in my life so was a bit confused myself how a large piece of formed housing could be worn!
But I bought it to michael o learly in douglas cork, and as far as i can see on here he's very good with minis.
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

You've found the right man in Michael O'Leary to diagnose your problem. He's an active club member and has worked on many Minis in his time. Perhaps you should bring the list of parts to Michael and ask his advice on which parts to order. You may not need a full overhaul.

Billy
keith
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dún Laoghaire, Dublin
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: '93 SPi cooper

Post by keith »

if Michael says it needs one, it needs one. shouldn't be that hard to source one - put a want add on the forum.
Signature still awaiting top-coat and lacquer....
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

Dave,

Where in Cork are you based? Most decent motor factors should be able to get you one and you'll probably save on the postage as well.

Billy
Dave_H
NON Member

Post by Dave_H »

I was actually up with himself and paul for almost an hour on friday and we went through what was needed on mini spares. Thats where i got that list. He was telling me to try source the parts and bring them up to him.
I live near ballyvolane so any suggestions on motor factors would be good.
I contacted mini fix in dublin also as ive a friend living up there commuting down regularly.
Got a message back earlier saying they had a lot of the parts so fingers crossed. Seems like the housing cover is the most difficult bit.

I'm just trying to avoid over spending on parts if at all possible! I'm not familiar with sourcing these kind of parts.
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

Dave,

O'Connells in Glanmire are very good motor factors They're down beside Monkey Maze. Also Johnny Murphy from Mayfield will probably have most of what you need. Johnny's number is 087-9503913. The housing cover can be taken off another secondhand engine so I wouldn't worry about that. Give me a shout if you want to chat about your Mini.

You should travel up to the club's autojumble next Sunday where there will be plenty of Mini parts for sale.

Billy
Dave_H
NON Member

Post by Dave_H »

No luck so far on the parts, Can someone let me know if galway mini center are still going. The site doesn't look very active so was wondering if they are still in business! Rang a few motor factors but they can only supply the clutch.
Looks like minispares so far.

@Billy can you let me know what business Johnny Murphy is in mayfield and i'll just call in to him!
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

He works for himself. Just ring him and tell him I sent you.
denisg1973
NON Member
Whats your location?: miltown malbay co. clare

Post by denisg1973 »

I have one off my mini 99 mpi if u want but its in co clare
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

Dave,

I was talking to Johnny Murphy last night and he has plenty of them in stock.

Billy
Dave_H
NON Member

Post by Dave_H »

Met johnny last night, got most of the parts i needed off him and i got a gear selector plate along with a new exhaust.

Very happy to get all that could have that car back on the road this weekend if i can get my hands on a clutch kit.

Thanks for all your help!
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

Glad you got sorted Dave. Johnny is a good man to know.

If you head up to the club's autojumble this Sunday, there will be plenty of stalls just selling Mini stuff. Check the Events section for details.

Billy
mgb1978
NON Member
Whats your location?: Co. Limerick
What Minis have you?: 1976 saloon , 1275cc, White with black roof. Converted to Discs on the cheap so stuck with 12"s for now.

Post by mgb1978 »

Micks garage list a kit for the 1 litre mini.
http://www.micksgarage.com/transmission ... 1000/3089/

Or most Motor factors should be able to have a kit for you the following day.

Or Ebay.co.uk (and parcel motel, as most sellers will charge a fortune to send across the water).

edit, just spotted that it's a '00 car so a 1275 then.
Micks garage list one but they are a bit pricey;
http://www.micksgarage.com/transmission ... 300/11333/

I would go with Ebay, after checking a few Motor Factors for prices 1st.
Dave_H
NON Member

Post by Dave_H »

Thanks for the links! Johnny actually managed to get one for me today so meeting him later and will have all the parts at the garage by tomorrow morning.

Should be back on the road by the weekend fingers crossed!

Thanks for all the help. Definitely got a valuable contact in johnny!