Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

New procedures for declaring your car off road

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

DaveC
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Dublin
Region: Eastern

New procedures for declaring your car off road

Post by DaveC »

There are new procedures for declaring your car off road being phased in from now until September as per the link below

www.motortax.ie

Of interest to anyone with a car off the road / in the garage / under restoration for the last few years is Question 16. The answer seems to be declare it off road before September or get hit for the back tax

The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Longford
What Minis have you?: 1971 Mini Marcos.
1984 Mini Sprite
Modifications: 1380cc
Weber45
S/C CR gearbox and drop gears

Re: New procedures for declaring your car off road

Post by The Marcos Graveyard »

Here is the whole text.

NEW PROCEDURES FOR DECLARING A VEHICLE OFF THE ROAD

New arrangements apply to declaring a vehicle off the road for motor tax purposes from 1 July 2013. The new system requires a vehicle to be declared off the road in advance, and will replace the system whereby owners declare a vehicle off the road retrospectively when seeking to tax a vehicle.

There is no change in the rules for those who pay their motor tax by its expiry date, or those who end up paying arrears after their tax has expired.

There is a three month transition period from 1 July 2013 to 30 September 2013 during which those in arrears must pay the arrears and either take out a new vehicle licence or make a declaration of non-use, that is, inform the motor tax authorities of their intention not to use the vehicle in a public place.

Those whose vehicles have not been on the road must make a declaration of non-use for the period in question and either take out a new vehicle licence or make a declaration of non-use, that is, inform the motor tax authorities of their intention not to use the vehicle in a public place.

Following the end of the transition period, the current system whereby a person can go to a Garda Station and make a declaration that a vehicle was off the road, without having to pay arrears, will cease, AND YOU WILL BE LIABLE TO PAY ALL MOTOR TAX ARREARS BEFORE A NEW VEHICLE LICENCE CAN BE ISSUED IN RESPECT OF THE VEHICLE.

The following question and answer factsheet summarises the new measures that will apply from 1 October 2013. The transitional arrangements for the period between 1 July and 30 September are set out at the end of this document.
Q1. How do I declare my vehicle off the road?
A1. If your vehicle is not going to be in use, and will not be kept in a public place, you will be able to declare it off the road by completing Form RF150 and submitting it to your local motor tax office. Form RF150 can be downloaded from www.environ.ie, www.motortax.ie, or your local authority website. It is also available at your local motor tax office, Garda Station, Library or Citizens Information Centre.
An online application facility is currently being developed and applications will be able to be made on www.motortax.ie later this year.
Q2. If my vehicle is not in use, when do I need to declare it off the road?
A2. You must make your off the road declaration in advance. The declaration must be made in the month of expiry of your current motor tax disc. All correctly completed applications will receive confirmation of their transaction, either by post or on the spot if the declaration is submitted in person at your local motor tax office.
Q3. Can I do it after tax has expired?
A3. No, it must be done in advance. If arrears in motor tax are due, these must be paid in full and motor tax paid for a minimum of 3 months before a declaration of non-use may be made. However, see Q14 below in respect of newly purchased vehicles (new or second hand).
Q4. What if I send the declaration in after the tax has expired?
A4. It will be returned to you and you will be notified that you are liable for tax on the vehicle for a minimum of 3 months before a declaration of non-use may be made. It is important, therefore, if you are posting the declaration, that you send it off in sufficient time to reach your local motor tax office.
Q5. Do I have to get it witnessed at a Garda Station?
A5. No – there is no requirement to have the form witnessed at a Garda Station.
Q6. Will I have to explain why the vehicle is being taken off the road or produce evidence?
A6. No, you will not be asked to explain why the vehicle is not going to be used or to produce any documentary evidence. However, there is a fine and potential prison sentence on conviction for making a false or misleading declaration of non-use, in addition to existing penalties for non-display of a valid motor tax disc.
Q7. Will I have to pay an administration charge for making an off the road declaration?
A7. No.
Q8. How long can I declare the vehicle off the road for?
A8. The minimum period is three calendar months, the maximum is twelve calendar months i.e. you cannot declare a vehicle off the road for either one or two months. The declaration must be for full calendar months, starting on the first day of a month and ending on the last day of a month.
Q9. Will I get a renewal notice at the end of the period specified in the declaration?
A9. Yes – in the same way that you currently get a renewal notice when your tax is about to expire.
Q10. What do I do if I want to keep the vehicle off for longer?
A10. In the month before the end of the period specified in your first declaration, you can make a new declaration for between a further three and 12 months. This can be repeated for as long as you intend to keep the vehicle off the road.
Q11. What if I want to put the vehicle back on the road before the period specified in the declaration expires?
A11. You can cancel the declaration at any time by renewing your tax in your local motor tax office – the validity of the tax disc will commence from the first day of the month in which you tax the vehicle.
Q12. What if I sell the car before the expiry of the declaration?
A12. The declaration will be cancelled automatically as and from the date of sale.
Q13. Can I transfer the declaration if I sell one vehicle, but purchase another?
A13. No, you must make a new declaration in respect of the vehicle being purchased. The declaration must be made to your local motor tax office within ten days of the date of sale.
Q14. I’ve just bought a vehicle – how can I make a declaration that I intend to keep it off the road for a while?
A14. If you have just bought a new vehicle or just acquired a second hand one and do not intend to use it immediately, you will have ten days from the date of purchase (as specified in the registration document or the notification of transfer of vehicle ownership) to furnish a declaration of non-use. In that case, the declaration will commence from the first day of the month in which the sale takes place, or the first day of the month of registration in the case of new vehicles.
Make sure you notify the seller that you are intending to declare the vehicle off the road and that you need him or her to ensure that the change of ownership is notified to the National Vehicle and Driver File as soon as possible.
Q15. What if I’m due to have an NCT while my car is off the road?
A15. A vehicle may be used during the period of a non-use declaration in two cases:
to bring it to and from a test centre for the test; or
to bring it for repair after a re-test, or back to where you are keeping it while it is off the road after the repairs. This option may only be used where an appointment has already been made for a re-test.
The same rules apply to roadworthiness testing for commercial vehicles.
If you are bringing the vehicle to a test centre or to or from repairs after a test failure, it would be advisable to carry a copy of the appointment for the test or re-test with you.
Q16. I have an old vehicle in the garage that hasn’t been used for years. Do I need to declare it off the road?
A16. If you think that, at any stage in the future, the car might be put back on the road then, yes, you will need to make a declaration during the transition period from 1 July 2013 to 30 September 2013 to avoid having to pay arrears, back to the date of expiry of the last motor tax licence, when the vehicle is being put back on the road. If you are absolutely certain that the vehicle will never go back on the road, then you need to do nothing.
Q17. Can I keep the vehicle parked in a public place after I make an off the road declaration?
A17. No, you cannot keep or use the vehicle in a public place while an off the road declaration is in effect in respect of the vehicle. It must be kept in off the road and not in a public place to avoid a liability for motor tax (and penalties for non-payment of motor tax and for making a false off-road declaration).
Q18. Can I get a refund if I need to take a taxed vehicle off the road?
A18. Only if you qualify for a refund under existing rules. These include the vehicle being stolen and not recovered, scrapped or permanently exported, or if you are keeping the vehicle off the road for reasons of illness, absence from the State for business or educational purposes or for services overseas with the Defence Forces. In all of these instances, a minimum of three months must remain on the disc.
Q19. If I am entitled to a refund, what happens?
A19. You will only have to complete one form (Form RF120) to obtain a refund. You do not have to complete a separate declaration of non-use.
Q20. If I owe arrears, can I make an off the road declaration?
A20. No, you will not be allowed to declare the vehicle off the road if arrears are owed – the arrears will have to be paid and the vehicle taxed for a minimum of three months before you will be able to declare the vehicle off the road. There will be an exception during the transition period – see the month-by-month guide below.
Q21. My vehicle is exempt from motor tax – do I have to make a declaration?
A21. Yes, in order to keep your vehicle record up to date.
Q22. What do I need to do during the transition period?
A22. The transition period will run from 1 July 2013 to 30 September 2013. For those not wishing to declare their intention to keep their vehicle off the road for a period of time, and those whose motor tax affairs are up to date, nothing changes and there is no need to do anything new during the transition period.
For those that do intend to declare their intention to keep their vehicle off the road or who have been keeping their vehicle off the road already, what you need to do depends on your own particular circumstances. The month by month guide, as set out below, will apply to you.

MONTH-BY-MONTH GUIDE

If your motor tax is due to expire and you want to declare your vehicle off the road:

… at the end of June 2013:
You can make a declaration of non-use in July to your local motor tax office with a commencement date of 1 July 2013 for a period of between 3 and 12 months.

… at the end of July 2013:
You can make a declaration of non-use in July or August to your local motor tax office with a commencement date of 1 August 2013 for a period of between 3 and 12 months.

… at the end of August 2013:
You can make a declaration of non-use in August or September to your local motor tax office with a commencement date of 1 September 2013 for a period of between 3 and 12 months.

… at the end of September 2013:
You can make a declaration of non-use in September to your local motor tax office with a commencement date of 1 October 2013 for a period of between 3 and 12 months.

… in subsequent months:
You can make a declaration of non-use in the last month of the vehicle licence or previous declaration of non-use. This must be made to your local motor tax office by the last day of that month. The declaration will commence from the first day of the following month for a period of between 3 and 12 months.

If your vehicle has been off the road and will continue to be off the road:

… during July 2013:
You can make a declaration witnessed by a Garda covering the period to the end of June 2013 and make a declaration of non-use in July 2013 with a commencement date of 1 July 2013 for a period of between three and 12 months.

… during August 2013:
You can make a declaration witnessed by a Garda covering the period to the end of July 2013 and make a declaration of non-use in August 2013 with a commencement date of 1 August 2013 for a period of between three and 12 months.

… during September 2013:
You can make a declaration witnessed by a Garda covering the period to the end of August 2013 and make a declaration of non-use in September 2013 with a commencement date of 1 September 2013 for a period of between three and 12 months.

… in subsequent months:
You will no longer be able to make a declaration witnessed by a Garda, and motor tax arrears and a minimum of three months motor tax will be payable in respect of the vehicle before a declaration of non-use can be made.

If your vehicle has been off the road and you want to put it back on the road:

… during July 2013:
You can make a declaration witnessed by a Garda covering the period to the end of June 2013 and tax the vehicle from the beginning of July 2013.

… during August 2013:
You can make a declaration witnessed by a Garda covering the period to the end of July 2013 and tax the vehicle from the beginning of August 2013.

… during September 2013:
You can make a declaration witnessed by a Garda covering the period to the end of August 2013 and tax the vehicle from the beginning of September 2013.

… in subsequent months:
You will no longer be able to make a declaration witnessed by a Garda and arrears from the date of expiry of the last motor tax disc, and a minimum of three months tax, will be payable.

If you owe arrears on the vehicle and you want to declare it off the road

… during July 2013:
You can pay arrears to the end of June 2013 and make a declaration of non-use in July 2013 with a commencement date of 1 July 2013 for a period of between 3 and 12 months.

… during August 2013:
You can pay arrears to the end of July 2013 and make a declaration of non-use in August 2013 with a commencement date of 1 August 2013 for a period of between 3 and 12 months.

… during September 2013:
You can pay arrears to the end of August 2013 and make a declaration of non-use in September 2013 with a commencement date of 1 September 2013 for a period of between 3 and 12 months.

… in subsequent months:
You will not be able to make a declaration of non-use until arrears and a minimum of three months tax are paid in respect of the vehicle. You will be able to make a declaration of non-use in the month of expiry of the motor tax.

A fully carbon fiber Mini Marcos shell weighs just 7.25kg.
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Roscommon
Region: Western
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

Someone said to me this morning, they'll never make it work. The simple reality is that yes they will on the basis that this is the same as the SORN (Statuatory Off Road Notice) system currently used in the UK.

Of course what you are now going to find is that instead of driving around for a few months without tax and hoping you don't get caught, lads will now register their cars off-road in advance for 3 months and hope they don't get caught. Ultimately, it's all about enforcement and without number plate recognition, the chances of getting caught are probably slim.
Not that the IMOC condones that sort of thing!
DaveC
IMOC Paid Member

Post by DaveC »

It also appears that if you have a car in storage, and you don't register it as off the road, you get hit for the full back tax when you put it back on the road
keith
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dún Laoghaire, Dublin
What Minis have you?: '93 SPi cooper

Post by keith »

Signature still awaiting top-coat and lacquer....
des
NON Member

Post by des »

I might be missing this part, but does anyone know what happens if I buy a car that has been off road for many years, am I responsible for the unpaid tax, or the previous owner ?
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
1984 Mini Sprite
Weber45

Under the new regs if the car hasn't been declared off road then yes you will be liable for all the back tax.

keith
NON Member

Post by keith »

good question.... i'm *guessing* that the back tax wont be applied for a period before the legislation came into force (July 2013?) but that the owner, on applying for road-tax, will be liable for any unpaid tax dating back to July 2013, excluding any period for which the car has been declared "off road", and the correct fees paid in full.

eg, in June 2014 go to buy a 1987 mini that my mate has had in his shed since he crashed it in December 2011. the tax ran out March 2012 - it wasn't declared off road. why would you, its clearly not going anyplace?

I think id be hit for the unpaid tax from August 2013 to June 2014, as well as the next years tax.

fast forward 6 years.. in 2019 i buy an old 1998 3 liter s-class merc that hasn't been used or taxed for 5 years.. (the bloke went to canada and his mum never sold the thing) Shes now looking for €2000 for it. there would be about €7500 back tax due on that... some deal, eh?

what about motor dealers? 'story with that?
Billy
IMOC Paid Member
What Minis have you?: 1967 Morris Cooper, 1967 Austin Mini auto, 1968 Wolseley Hornet x2, 1981 Clubman Estate

Post by Billy »

It's actually not that complicated. I've a bunch of Minis and a Honda 50 off the road at the mo. I have to get the old RF100a form stamped by a Guard stating that the vehicles are currently off the road up to July 1st 2013. Having done that, I need to fill out the new form declaring that the vehicles are now off the road going forward for x period along with the signed RF100a form. When the period of off-roadness is up e.g. 12 months, I will get a reminder to refile, much in the way I currently get a reminder that my tax is due for renewal.
daniel garry
NON Member
Whats your location?: cavan
What Minis have you?: 1996 BRG mayfair 1275 auto-lyin up now
1990 1l city-daily driver
1993 cooper spi-completly stripped and upside down!
the long term project(advantage) courtesy of mr skelly!!
rotten shell-found a floor repair panel in the boot tho!

Post by daniel garry »

so if i was to have 1 of my cars hidden away not declared off the road could i just change the log book in someone elses name, let them tax it and put it back into my name?? i know it'l add two more owners to the book but slight loophole?
keith
NON Member

Post by keith »

i dont mind them closing the loophole.. it was being abused by some drivers (none in here, im certain) - i do object to paying that transaction fee for advising the authorities that i'm *not* using the road...

IMHO the whole road tax thing is ridiculous - hundred of thousands of hours wasted in the public service administering and enforcing this revenue stream - put the tax on the fuel - encourages ppl do drive efficiently, buy efficient cars, plus the collection system is in place already. /rant
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

Scoobasteve7
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: West Cork
Region: Southern
What Minis have you?: 1983 Mini City E

Post by Scoobasteve7 »

What I can't understand is why they don't just have a declaration sheet for an indefinite period of time.
I mean people are going to either have their cars on the road taxed or off the road for restoration or whatever.

And if people are caught without tax well its no different to now then is it.

Having to fill one out each year seems pointless, especially in this day and age it could and should all be done online. with a click or two.
keith
NON Member

Post by keith »

Billy wrote:Keith,

There's no transaction fee.

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/staticConte ... appinginfo
http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernmen ... 620,en.htm

Hogan announces new procedures for declaring vehicles temporarily off the road.
01/07/13

(para. 7)
While the Act contains provision for the prescribing of an administration fee, it is not proposed to introduce the fee in the short term – the focus is on encouraging vehicle owners to regularise their motor tax affairs.

as soon as there's take-up, they will follow with a fee.
The Marcos Graveyard
IMOC Paid Member
1984 Mini Sprite
Weber45

Simple version here on the IVS website.

http://www.irishvintagescene.ie/motor-t ... nt-notice/

woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

I sent in declarations in July but haven't recieved anything back yet. Anybody else get them back yet.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR
keith
NON Member

Post by keith »

tbh they probably snowed under...
DaveC
IMOC Paid Member

Post by DaveC »

Yes, they are snowed under and depending on the car and how long it is off the road (and whether it is one the computer system) they seem to be struggling to deal with them.

I sent in 3.

A 1996 car, off the road for the last two years, the off road confirmation arrived back within the week.

A 1977 car, off the road for 21 years, a form arrived back querying the reg. I sent back a photocopy of the logbook 3 weeks ago and heard nothing else. Rang them yesterday about it, confirmed they have the forms etc, it's not on the computerised car tax system, so they will need to enter it on the system. Today I get a phonecall looking for the original log book to be sent in so that they can do this.

A 1972 car, off the road for maybe 23 years, got the same query back on the reg, obviously it's not on the system either, again had sent in a copy of the logbook, they didn't know if they had received this as there is a huge backlog, they didn't know how long it would take to get through. I pointed out that the cut off date was coming up soon and didn't want to get caught for back tax. The guy I spoke to "suggested" not to worry as everything they receive will be date stamped and once they have it within the required period there "should" be no issue.
keith
NON Member

Post by keith »

cant help thinking there must be a more productive task for those staff to be engaged in... . . . . apparently we have a deficit in the government's finances.
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

Filled out a whole bunch of forms ready for Sept 1st.
BlackSe7en
IMOC Paid Member

Post by BlackSe7en »

… at the end of August 2013:
You can make a declaration of non-use in August or September to your local motor tax office with a commencement date of 1 September 2013 for a period of between 3 and 12 months.

I sent in my RF100 and RF150 Mid-July. The RF100 signed/Stamped by the Garda covering up to 31st July 2013 and RF150 starting from 1st August 2013. They were returned with a note stating that the RF100s should be stamped by the Garda with an August date. Otherwise everything was ok.
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

Roll on the numberplate recognition cameras.
Benny
NON Member
Whats your location?: Louth
What Minis have you?: '88 Austin Mini

Post by Benny »

Just another way to screw the Irish citizen. I don't know about anyone else but I will sooner walk than back tax any car. Scumbags :evil:
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

So have you contacted your local TD to complain, Benny?
Billy
IMOC Paid Member

Post by Billy »

So following from B7's post above, you can declare from tomorrow September 1st that your car has been off the road for X months using the RF100 form which must be signed by a Guard. Bear in mind that the Guards have the option, and often do at my local station, to check on their database if your car has been recorded for any offence such as speeding fine, parking ticket etc during the period that you are claiming the car was not on the road. If you were done for speeding etc with that car during that period, you will probably have to pay arrears. If not, the Guard will stamp your RF100 and off you go.

The new form doesn't need a Garda signature. The RF150 is completed by the owner of the car and for this introduction period only, you send both completed forms off to your local motor tax office. There's full instructions on the new RF150 when you print off the form.

If anyone has any problems filling out either forms, post them here and we should be able to help you out.

Billy