Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Over Fueling - Single Point Injection System.

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

Míchéal
NON Member
Whats your location?: Fermoy, Co.Cork
Region: Southern

Over Fueling - Single Point Injection System.

Post by Míchéal »

Hi all,

I'm new here and need some help. My nephew has a 1992 cooper. He stripped her down, sandblasted the body and painted her. All the hard work is done. I drove her to Youghal last year where she flew through the NCT. She was stored for a year and the young man has now reached the ripe old age of 19, he can get insurance !!!

Now her injection system has acted up. It appears it is over fueling. Difficult to get past 2,500 RPM. Sometimes she will get up the revs and appear to drive ok. He has taken her to his local mechanic and after 3 weeks out in the rain was told the ECU is most likely faulty. I have checked the plugs and yes they are black. I have run her and can clearly see a constant heavy spray of fuel from the rear jet in the throttle body.

Any ideas where I will start? :roll:

Míchéal.

woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Re: Over Fueling - Single Point Injection System.

Post by woody »

The ECU's on these are pretty good and usually its a sensor or connection. Does the temperature gauge go to normal? The ECU may think the engine is cold and overfuel it. This can be caused by a faulty sensor or more likely a bad connection at the coolant temperature sensor.
Has your mechanic put it on a diagnostic reader and checked for fault codes? Not many places have readers that can read SPi minis.
The other big problem with SPi are the vacumn pipes between the airbox ,throttle body and ECU which must be 100% tight with no cracks on the ends.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR