Welcome to the Irish Mini Owners Club Forum. Keep an eye out of on coming events!!!!

Mini ownership - is it a runner?

General MINI related posts. Open to all, registration required

Moderators: spud1979, The Marcos Graveyard, Moderators

Mossess
NON Member
Whats your location?: Limerick
Region: Western

Mini ownership - is it a runner?

Post by Mossess »

Due to an ever growing family I’m way off where I was many moons ago when I first posted on this site. But I'm back. I’d say I’m at least 6 months off being in a position to purchase, as I need to get everything organised - money, the OK from the wife who I haven’t mentioned it too, that sort of thing . but to get the ball rolling I have a few questions.

1) – baby seats. I’ve seen that people do get them and fit them in. But, how practical are they? I’ll have a one year old and a seven year old by the time I purchase. I want to use it as a daily run around, collecting the kids from the minders, going to the shops etc. Is it a realistic option?
2) - Due to the dire state of the country our planned house move isn’t going to happen any time soon. If ever. So my dreams of a garage to work on a mini may well be gone for ever. How much would I need to spend on a mini that will be reliable enough?
3) – Insurance. I just phoned up my insurer. As it’ll be a second car they won’t use my No claims discount, based on a 99 cooper, so I was quoted 830 euros. What year would I need to go to to get it covered as a classic?

I suppose the biggest of the above questions is number 1. I see that lots of people say they are selling because they have a baby on the way, so is it a realistic dream to be having at this stage or should I hold off another while?

thanks

charcosull
NON Member
Whats your location?: Dublin
Region: Eastern

Re: Mini ownership - is it a runner?

Post by charcosull »

Hello,

I picked my friends daughter (18 month old) up from the creche yesterday in my mini. To be honest it was a bit of a pain. The seat belt wouldnt stretch enough to go around the type of seat he uses. Difficult to get it in and out of the car too. I am glad it is not something I have to do daily.

Regarding insurance. I have a mini as a second car. It is a 1991 and costs 300 odd euro to insure (Classic Policy) with Carol Nash. I believe they will insure a mini more then 20 years old as a classic.
Worth giving them a ring anyway.

Hope this help in some way.

Ciaran
twinjocks
IMOC Paid Member

Post by twinjocks »

We have two kids, now 18 and 11, have driven Minis as daily drivers all their lives. I guess if you're used to it, there's no problems - I can't remember any great difficulties. Open door, wedge up front seat with knee/shoulder, put child in baby seat!! The main thing is to find a baby seat that works - for an older child, a booster seat is fine, and as it's a Mini, they'll not need the seats for as long as they would in a bigger car. We had a Britax seat for them when they were little, not one of the huge ones with massive bases, but a tubular framed one, and it fitted in just fine. Oh, and we used to use an umbrella buggy that fitted across the back floorpan!

Julie
mgb1978
NON Member
Whats your location?: Co. Limerick
Region: Southern
What Minis have you?: 1976 saloon , 1275cc, White with black roof. Converted to Discs on the cheap so stuck with 12"s for now.

Post by mgb1978 »

I see a few mini's around with child seats in the back. Probably easier to get a fairly simple (smaller) one than some of the Formula 1 replica's you see .
As regards insurance give Autoline in Coleraine a call and see how new (or old) the car has to be with them....it would have to be a 2nd car but you say that's not a problem. I pay €180 for mine, fully comp (1976 car). The insurance companies seem to differ about what year constitutes a classic, so ring around.
There are some good ones out there so don't buy the 1st one you look at.
As you're keeping it outside you will be better off to at least tell any insurer that it's kept on your driveway (with the gate locked overnight).

Personally, I would be on the lookout for a pre 1980 car with decent bodywork. Cheap tax, Cheap insurance, and no NCT to worry about (emissions test etc.).
woody
IMOC Paid Member
Whats your location?: Drogheda
Region: Eastern
What Minis have you?: Traveller
Turbo
Hornet
Equinox
MINI Clubman

Post by woody »

When my daughter was a toddler I used to put hr in and out of the backseat through the side window on the woody,get an estate there's a lot more room for baby stuff.
TECHNICAL MODERATOR